Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 03:48 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
For all the "rules are rules" people on here, how much tennis did you actually watch before Saturday's final? If you can't say what Sampras' forehand grip was without having to Google it, you probably don't watch enough of the sport to speak on anything authoritatively.
So now you mix ad hominems with appeals to authority?

I've been watching tennis since before McEnroe's days of fame. I've always liked watching the sport, and I think my 2nd or 3rd schoolboy crush was on Chris Evert, although I suspect every teenage boy of that era had that same crush, cuz Chrissie was the bomb.

I've seen plenty of tennis, from all the greats of the last 40 years, and Serena is a sore freaking loser. She's not the only one, but she's a sore loser, period. She gets a pass because it always gets framed inside the cultural narrative of "because black, because Compton, because woman, because athletic figure, because something other than me being a sore freaking loser," but the bottom line is the same - she's a crybaby when she loses. And while she's busy comapring herself to what men get away with, she should be asking how her nonsense compares to the on court behavior of Navratilova, Evert, Graf and King, who are her only peers. Find me one example of any of those melting down like Serena did in 2009, 2011 or 2018, much less three separate examples.

Compared to her actual peers, she's a sore loser.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:52 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Not one part of this thread has anything to do with Paul Manafort, politics or partisanship. I follow tennis pretty well, and have backed up my posts with facts. Not sure how a totally irrelevant ad hominem fits the discussion, but whatever.
Yeah, I'm sure your active participation in this thread is motivated solely by a sincere desire to preserve the integrity of the sport of tennis.

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How quickly you Trumpers forget. Pikachu was in the tank for Donald, remember?

https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/12/med...-go/index.html

(Personal apology ahead of time...simply couldn't help myself )
LOL - only you..... Yeah, we Trumpers / Trumpelstiltskins / Trumpies / Trumpettes / Trumptrucks don't have good memories. We can't even remember what political party we're affiliated with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Hmmm... You just might be a little bit less an enemy of the right now, after this revelation.

One day, when we're done fighting each other and we run out of sides to pick, we may start to realize we are both mouth-breathers after all.

That's just poor sportsmanship. It's easy to be gracious when you win.
That was a joke. I find it comical that people are saying it's about race, so I made it about ethnicity.

I think it's gone over the heads of some posters that they're arguing that those of us criticizing a black American tennis player are racist, when we're defending a black Japanese tennis player. Black is black, isn't it?

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Well if she was not culpable than I do not blame her being pissed that she was held responsible. She totally told her fans to chill and not boo so it had zero to do with her attitude towards her opponent.
Too little, waaaaaaay too late. Serena's behavior was immature, unprofessional and very unbecoming given her accomplishments - and completely SPOILED the win for Osaka.

Did you actually watch the match? Did you see the sequence of events, here? The ridiculous histrionics?

A MEANINGLESS coaching violation - which should have been IGNORED - became ALL ABOUT HER BEING A CHEATER!

Who, with any common sense does this? Only Serena, because it's ALWAYS ALL ABOUT HER.

Serena derailed the match FOR HERSELF with her NEVER-ENDING harangue about this issue - bringing it up over and over.

As has been stated upthread - which clearly most of the later posters have NOT READ -

RAMOS IS KNOWN FOR CALLING COACHING VIOLATIONS.

Serena and her team, having been in the game now 20 years or thereabouts - KNOW THIS. Therefore.......

This was NOT directed at Serena. It WAS directed at her coach. And - they should have been prepared for it.

Serena should have let it go.

But, no, being the entitled, self-centered narcissist she is, she has to, once again, make it ALL ABOUT HER - and ruin - YET ANOTHER - US Open. This is three times, now, she's done this without cause. If I had my druthers, she'd never play a US Open again. The cemented chip on her shoulder is beyond tiresome.

Serena shot herself in the foot - and has no one but herself to blame. Had she concentrated on her game and not on how she was being discriminated against, she might have turned that second set around and gone on to win in three sets.

It's all on her.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-10-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 04:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
Quote:
Standing up for one's self when falsely accused is not being a jerk. If you have ever been accused of something you did not do you might be able to relate to that.

100% agree.

I wish more players would argue more incessantly with the referees and umpires in all sports. Kids, if you're falsely accused of a rule violation DO NOT let it go. Argue, smash equipment & demand an apology!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:01 PM

So anyway, here's some terrific footage of Serena completely dominating Maria Sharapova.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YniNabTxo9I

Old 09-10-2018, 04:03 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Too little, waaaaaaay too late. Serena's behavior was immature, unprofessional and very unbecoming given her accomplishments - and completely SPOILED the win for Osaka.

Did you actually see the sequence of events, here? A MEANINGLESS coaching violation - which should have been IGNORED - became ALL ABOUT HER BEING A CHEATER!

Who, with any common sense does this? Only Serena, because she is "black, a woman and a mother."

Serena totally derailed the match with her NEVER-ENDING harangue about this issue - bring it up over and over.

As has been stated upthread - which clearly most of the later poster have NOT READ -

RAMOS IS KNOWN FOR CALLING COACHING VIOLATIONS.

Serena and her team, having been in the game now 20 years or thereabouts - KNOW THIS. Therefore.......

This was NOT directed at Serena. It WAS directed at her coach. And - they should have been prepared for it.

Serena should have let it go.

But, no, being the entitled, self-centered narcissist she is, she has to, once again, make ALL ABOUT HER - and ruin - YET ANOTHER - US Open.
How can it be IGNORED? If it adversely affected her score how can it be IGNORED? This is her career. She should hash it out with her coach but she has the right to clearly and in no uncertain terms defend herself if she was not the culpable one .

Old 09-10-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
I wish more players would argue more incessantly with the referees and umpires in all sports. Kids, if you're falsely accused of a rule violation DO NOT let it go. Argue, smash equipment & demand an apology!
As Donald Trump once said, "We don't have time for nice." Serena Williams has 23 majors and $88 million in career prize money. She can argue and break all the racquets she wants with those gaudy stats.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
100% agree.

If the equipment is theirs they can do what they please with it. The point is, never stand for being falsely accused...EVER!!!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:15 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
If the equipment is theirs they can do what they please with it. The point is, never stand for being falsely accused...EVER!!!
There was NO false accusation. Coaching violations are given all the time. Players may or not see the coach - nonetheless the player is penalized.

Serena chose to turned it on herself. Her decision is all on her.
Quote:
How can it be IGNORED? If it adversely affected her score how can it be IGNORED? This is her career. She should hash it out with her coach but she has the right to clearly and in no uncertain terms defend herself if she was not the culpable one .
But that's where you're wrong. Serena IS culpable under USTA RULES.

If the players don't want to be responsible for the actions of their coaches, then the players need to get that rule changed.

For now - Serena IS culpable - as is any other player whose coach misbehaves and is caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies