Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 04:36 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times

Advertisements

Martina Navratilova said it best today:

Quote:
There is a huge double standard for women when it comes to how bad behavior is punished — and not just in tennis.
However, I don't believe it's a good idea to apply a standard of 'If men can get away with it, women should be able to, too.' Rather, I think the question we have to ask ourselves is this: What is the right way to behave to honor our sport and to respect our opponents?

Old 09-10-2018, 04:54 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, I'm sure your active participation in this thread is motivated solely by a sincere desire to preserve the integrity of the sport of tennis.
Check the screen name and posting history dude. I am a purely voluntaryist libertarian who hates Republicans and Democrats alike with the same ferocity.

And once more...this recent nonsensical ad hominem has what to do with Serena being a sore loser?

Old 09-10-2018, 05:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Standing up for one's self when falsely accused is not being a jerk. If you have ever been accused of something you did not do you might be able to relate to that.
Her coach was accused of something, rightly so, and she wanted to make herself a victim because she was GOING TO LOSE. The game she lost after the point violation, she was GOING TO LOSE. She played a terrible game. It was after that that she was harping incessantly on the thief and cheating thing..because she knew she was outclassed and was going to lose. This is and always has been her MO. She wasn't standing up for herself, she was making an issue out of something to paint herself as a victim, because she was outclassed and being outplayed. Then she took it another step and added sexism into the picture. She was losing to Clijsters, she pulled a tantrum. She was losing to Stosur, she threw a tantrum. She is a sore loser, and has been known as one since she came on the scene. Gracious moments are few and far between.

And now fools in the media are saying this is somehow some "eye opening conversation" about a double standard in sports, supported by people who do a flyover and don't actually dig into the actual character of the person in question. Sad.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:20 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Her coach was accused of something, rightly so, and she wanted to make herself a victim because she was GOING TO LOSE. The game she lost after the point violation, she was GOING TO LOSE. She played a terrible game. It was after that that she was harping incessantly on the thief and cheating thing..because she knew she was outclassed and was going to lose. This is and always has been her MO. She wasn't standing up for herself, she was making an issue out of something to paint herself as a victim, because she was outclassed and being outplayed. Then she took it another step and added sexism into the picture. She was losing to Clijsters, she pulled a tantrum. She was losing to Stosur, she threw a tantrum. She is a sore loser, and has been known as one since she came on the scene. Gracious moments are few and far between.

And now fools in the media are saying this is somehow some "eye opening conversation" about a double standard in sports, supported by people who do a flyover and don't actually dig into the actual character of the person in question. Sad.
All your points are moot because the bottom line is, if you are accused of something you did not do, you refuse to back down...period! I don't care if she was not performing up to par and I cannot even say because I did not watch the game. I do not need to see the game to understand her reaction, which I did make a point to view on video. False accusations need to be addressed immediately and that is what she did. It appears that her loss actually was a result of points lost due to these encounters/violations with the referee so why are you and others so adamantly disparaging her game skills?

Last edited by sickofnyc; 09-10-2018 at 05:34 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 05:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Some of you must be low on legitimate points to make if you're now attacking people as not being invested enough in the game of tennis to have an opinion.

What a foolish concept.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
All your points are moot because the bottom line is, if you are accused of something you did not do, you refuse to back down...period! I don't care if she was not performing up to par and I cannot even say because I did not watch the game. I do not need to see the game to understand her reaction, which I did make a point to view on video. False accusations need to be addressed immediately and that is what she did. It appears that her loss actually was a result of points lost due to these encounters/violations with the referee so why are you and others so adamantly disparaging her game skills?
I doubt you ever played organized sports because this is such a simple concept and you don't seem to be able to grasp it.

When you play a sport there are refs who make calls. He made his call - she didn't like it - she had a tantrum.

You act like her honor and reputation were at stake. Don't be ridiculous.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I doubt you ever played organized sports because this is such a simple concept and you don't seem to be able to grasp it.

When you play a sport there are refs who make calls. He made his call - she didn't like it - she had a tantrum.

You act like her honor and reputation were at stake. Don't be ridiculous.
When one is accused of cheating at one of the very things that defines them, it is absolutely their reputation on the line and at stake. This has zero to do with sports and everything to do with one's integrity. If she had baked a cake for a bake-off and accused of purchasing one instead, it would amount to the same thing.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
When one is accused of cheating at one of the very things that defines them, it is absolutely their reputation on the line and at stake. This has zero to do with sports and everything to do with one's integrity. If she had baked a cake for a bake-off and accused of purchasing one instead, it would amount to the same thing.
How many times do people have to repeat that this isn't "You're cheating!" Those were HER words to paint herself as being victimized.

The rule is, "Players will not receive coaching during a match." Her coach admitted he coached her during the match. The ref saw it and made the call.

Repeat:

Her coach admitted he violated the rule.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:50 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:

what? NO! you disagree with the ref but move on........every sport you have calls that don't go your way but you don't act like Serena......the penalty didn't cost her the game. She kept at it by breaking her racquet in a tantrum and going after the ref then that's on her.

She is not going to win an argument with the ref in any sport so why act so childish?

Old 09-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
How many times do people have to repeat that this isn't "You're cheating!" Those were HER words to paint herself as being victimized.

The rule is, "Players will not receive coaching during a match." Her coach admitted he coached her during the match. The ref saw it and made the call.

Repeat:

Her coach admitted he violated the rule.
But she did not "receive" it according to her and if that is true, she has the right to defend her self against accusation that she was privy to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies