Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 AM

34,219 posts, read 18,550,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
You obviously missed the point.
She claims her game penalty was sexism.
I'm saying there was no sexism, as she didn't even get the full penalty.
She only got a game penalty, whereas these men got match penalties.
Yes I did. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:48 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,575,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So that makes unsportsmanlike conduct OK? Do you want to see whining, complaining, and unfounded accusations in sporting events? She lost, then lied about why. Great example, and role model. She's the Hillary of the tennis world.

That's right let's follow the leader and politicize sports !?! IF you watched the whole unpleasant scene she actually stopped the complaining then praised her opponent.

Why not pick on whining Tom Brady, or Roger Clemens, or even John McEnroe - oh wait - let me guess that none of these folks, who all have acted much worse, fit your personnel narrative...

Old 09-09-2018, 07:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I watched the replay and tried to summarize the series of events in the Sports section of the forum.
Thanks, DRob. Great recap for someone who didn't watch the game, like myself. And this is completely different than the narrative SW gave post-match in the clip posted early in the thread, which was the only thing some of us had to go on.

So the bottom line for me is this - she not only couldn't let it go - she let it affect her game to the point where she exacerbated the situation by doing things she knew she'd get penalties for. This is all on her. Then she rewrote the narrative for her post-match interview.

And that may be why it's news. This wasn't one thing - it was about conduct that continued.

I get it now.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,940,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There are two discussions going on here. Some of us are responding to the initial post and post-match clips and the rest of you are talking about what went on during the match, which some of us didn't watch.

It almost sounds like the original post was based on limited information because he didn't see the match either.

Having said that - professional athletes behave badly all the time after a loss. Why make an issue out of this athlete on this day?

It seems that female athletes are not only held to higher standards on the tennis court but by the media and public opinion.
In this case, many believe that a direct line can be drawn from Serena's bad behavior to her fans' bad behavior.

My heart broke for Osaka when she accepted her trophy.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 AM

34,219 posts, read 18,550,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
That's right let's follow the leader and politicize sports !?! IF you wanted the whole unpleasant scene she actually stopped the complaining then praised her opponent.

Why not pick on whining Tom Brady, or Roger Clemens, or even John McEnroe - oh wait - let me guess that none of these folks, who all have acted much worse, fit your personnel narrative...
Hey, Olympic athletes, NFL and NBA players have politicized sports. My statement was not political, but about her making excuses for losing like a certain female political candidate. I never liked when all of those you mention whined, and complained. I think they acted like jerks.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:59 AM

11,335 posts, read 16,683,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/09/us/se...rsy/index.html

Retired US tennis star Andy Roddick tweeted, "I've regrettably said worse and I've never gotten a game penalty."

John McEnroe, Ilie Nastase, Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi. These men all berated chair umpires, famously so. ...none of them received a game penalty"
That was also a different time. Life changes as we all know it.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:01 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
In this case, many believe that a direct line can be drawn from Serena's bad behavior to her fans' bad behavior.

My heart broke for Osaka when she accepted her trophy.
I would agree with that now that I know the full story.

Not to mention, there are people who will defend Serena no matter what - just because they're fanboys and fangirls. They cannot be objective.

It sounds heartbreaking. This should have been a time for Osaka to be celebrated for having beaten one of the greatest players of all time and to be booed is disgusting.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:17 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,939,543 times
She's an absolute NUTJOB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBrForlj-k

Old 09-09-2018, 09:27 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Serena will never be as bad as McEnroe though, man that guy could throw fits.
He sure did. AND he didn't get points deducted for it. That's the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
Another ridiculous mischaracterization of what actually happened. Did you watch the video you yourself posted? At no point does she blame losing on anything. I didn't see the whole on court scene, but if the worst she said to the ump was that he was a thief, then she actually has a point even though she could have dealt with it better. I have heard men say far worse to a chair umpire without incurring penalty.
Serena fits the conservative portrait of the angry black woman and that's how they see her - no matter what. In their eyes - she deserves whatever she gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I thought it was quite gracious. Putting her arms around the winner and demanding that the crowd stop booing. I felt sorry for the girl that won; she did deserve to have a better moment - but that was not Serena's fault. She tried to stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Agreed. However, to accuse a referee of being "sexist" due to his call is extremely ridiculous. Yes, other athletes, including male athletes have been equally, or more ridiculous on occasion.
AND they were NOT penalized for it. That's the point. Many of the male players have now spoken out about it.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,686,329 times
I expect that she would have lost anyway, however, she is absolutely correct that there is a double standard with regard to what the men are allowed to get away with.

I’ve watched the men berate the umpires for decades and not one has been penalized a game for doing so.

I’m very curious to see what happens today during the men’s final.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.