Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 04:21 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm posting this here because I am pissed off that there is no coverage of 9/11 except for a few old documentaries on History Channel, Nat Geo and Discovery Channel

Why are we forgetting the NEVER FORGET moments of 9/11?

Boat lift - outstanding video clip

We certainly were busy watching the news right after 9/11, but we never saw this.....BOAT-LIFT OF 9/11.....

The fact is, it was all done in 9 hours ...500,000 people!

This is a video well worth watching. The guy at the end (same guy who is at the beginning) has some great words to live by for all of us.

Watch till the end. You won't regret it. We will never forget what happened that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDOrzF7B2Kg
amazing story....thank you for sharing

Old 09-12-2018, 04:48 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Did we "remember Pearl Harbor" as distinctly in the late Fifties and early Sixties?

(I was only a pre-teen in those years, but my memories of the times lead me to believe that we did not.)

And in those times, our attention and vigilance were directed against the Soviet Union, the last survivor of the totalitarian butcher-states of the 1930's, and which would survive for another thirty years. Our "rivals" today (Russia? / China?) pose economic, rather than military threats; our "enemies" are a smaller collection of global rabble (North Korea / Iran).

If the events of 9/11/01 are to teach us anything. it is that the next blow to our pride and self-assurance will likely come from a quarter where it is not expected; but I'm sure that the breadth, and depth, of our resources and "defenses" will mitigate it -- "suprise factors" notwithstanding.

Here in Northeastern Pennsylvania, we have a similar group that commemorates what's recalled as the "Knox mining disaster" -- a cave-in of a tunnel under the Susquehanna River that put an end to deep-mining of anthracite and killed about a dozen men.

But the point being: these were relatively small disasters with a small, local "clientele" -- and that gave rise to a small locally-based advocacy.

The events of 9/11/01 had far greater, and permanent effect; the basics of air travel, (as well as basic street-security measures) changed forever; we are still fine-tuning, and will continue to do so.
I was sure Bush was going to do something incredibly effective, due to 911 by clamping down hard, on those coming thru our borders illegally. As time went by, I was so disgusted with him doing nothing to strengthen our borders, that I vowed, I'd never vote for him again. Later, I found out, from a girlfriend,whose son was heavily into politics that Bush had the Bin Laden family over here, and when 911 happened, he put them on Air force one, giving them a ride back to their homeland. It was explained to me, that the Bin Laden family was huge and very oil rich, like the Bush's themselves. That Osama was a rouge, or black sheep of the family, that not all Muslims hated Americans.

911 left a huge impact on all of us...in different ways for different reasons...but I believe, we should never forget...and never will....

It isn't about how rich you are, or who you voted for, or how beautiful you are, or successful....at the end of the day what matters most, is...that we help each other and love like today is our last.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies