Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 06:22 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Why??????
It will destroy Western civilization and end Christian America. This is truly horrible and thank God won’t happen anyway luckily.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
I think that churches should lose their tax free status if they engage in political activity by endorsing specific candidates. If they incite violence, that is illegal anyway. Churches that only concern themselves with the teaching of religious philosophy and practice should keep their tax exempt status. Whether a church preaches against homosexuality and gay marriage or supports people regardless of those things should have nothing to do with whether they are taxed. Churches receive tax exempt status because they are religious institutions and engage in charitable activity. When they become political organizations, the exemption should end.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Cart's before the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Shouldn’t a religious institution be revoked its tax exemption and even perhaps be banned or not protected under the First Amendment for spreading violence, hatred or spread messages that homosexuality, apostasy, adultery, etc. carries death penalty and encourage its adherents to blow themselves up or kill somebody because of what is written in the Islamic and Jewish scriptures? I think it’s absurd and quite threatening.

Yah. Looking @ this, it doesn't make much sense. If you ban a religion, then a tax exemption doesn't matter either way. If they're outlawed altogether, you're not going to bother prosecuting them on paying or not paying tax, not if they've been banned. Of course, until the legal codes are rewritten (an enormous job, by the way) we won't know what punishment to mete out.

Ah, well, @ least the legislatures & judges & DAs will be busy for the next five or ten years. Add in the Constitutional rulings, & it might be fifteen or twenty.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Yes I know Obama's brand of Christianity isn't considered to be true Christianity by the right-wing evangelicals.
But those right wing evangelicals consider most of the Christians in this country to be not "true." I used to have a co-worker who was an evangelical, and every now and then she would drop by my office to tell me that HER faith was "Christian with a capital C." In other words, I wasn't a true Christian because I was a "regular" protestant.

In some churches, the evangelism is really a political movement, not a religious one. Those are the ones that should lose their tax exempt status. In my opinion, churches on the other end of the spectrum - very liberal churches - should also lose their tax exempt status if they engage in political endorsements and campaigning.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:21 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
America ever electing a non-Christian president is end of America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Why??????
Quote:
It will destroy Western civilization
What makes you think the USA is the only bastion of western civilization? America is a large and influential country, but it ain't that special. We have Europe, all of Central and Southern America, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, all which certainly are considered "western". You must have a very insular view of the world to make such a statement. American exceptionalism only exists within some Americans, and you know, that will be its downfall. Rome thought it was pretty special also, and then it found Christianity. How did that work out for them? Asia and Europe are not sitting still, India is advancing and at some point Africa and the Middle East will aslo.

Quote:
and end Christian America. This is truly horrible and thank God won’t happen anyway luckily.
You like ending Christian America is a bad thing. Why? The most secular nations in the world have the lowest crime rates, the least about of drug abuse, healthier populations, and the least amount of uneducated citizens. That, I would suggest, is something to look up to.

Who cares about a religious philosophy? If you want religion running the country, you must idolize the Vatican, Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:38 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
I favor NO exemptions for any religion.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
It will destroy Western civilization and end Christian America. This is truly horrible and thank God won’t happen anyway luckily.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/m...-in-the-world/

Spoiler: The most religious countries are mostly third world countries, while the least religious ones are mostly prosperous and democratic countries.

Of course, there are exceptions on both ends.

So chill.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:52 AM

31,025 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Do you mean this church of Obama? The one he tried to "forgot" about when discovered? They are displaying everything said by you guys about Christians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAfy5PFJwcg

It get's really good around 1 min. LAWL.

Such double always standards on display about Trump.
That's some Hilarious Shizzle

Old 09-13-2018, 02:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:

Nonsense!

Old 09-13-2018, 03:21 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
So a Jew our God forbid an atheist is elected it's the end for us?

Get bent. We don't all have to share your beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies