Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 06:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,035,579 times

Advertisements

Just make the requirements the same as for a Federal employee. After all the President is a Federal employee. Make the document release

1st). Proof of US citizenship. You have to provide a birth certificate or naturilization papers (not necessary for President, but for Senate and House positions).

2nd). All school transcripts including college.

3rd). A medical exam by a doctor that you are fit for the position.

Obama refused to release his college transcripts. Clinton refused to release his medical records. McCain also refused to release his transcripts.

Releasing Federal tax returns is not necessary. I would like to see the disclosure laws changed so that exact values and exact ownership of property and stocks is reported including shell corporations.

Really the tax returns is a political scam. Look the IRS takes care of fraud...right?? Why do I want to see a tax return. I really want to see what a candidate owns.

It is just political crap....just make the candidates follow the same rules as Federal employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 07:01 PM

17,773 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Wrong. If Clinton refused to release her tax returns, I would not have voted for her in the primary, much less the election. I would think there is something she is hiding and it would only be a matter of time before it was exposed and then Democrats would be hating life. That's what I would think.
That's surprising. The right wingers on here wouldn't have had any problem with Clinton had she refused to release her tax returns...........even if she said she would. We wouldn't have heard anything about her hiding her revenue from her child sex ring, or hiding payments to her hit squad members, or her hiding money in her foundation.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
The problem with this is they didn't care about this until AFTER they got Trump in, let him cram the Supreme Court, give massive tax cuts for the rich and destroy the EPA. Now, they must figure they've pretty much got what they can from him so they'll pretend they got religion and say "we can't allow this to happen again".

Can wait until they start talking about how terrible it would be for future presidents to hire family, hold taxpayer funded rallies every week, own businesses that profit from government events and foreign dignitaries and for in laws to sell access to foreign governments in exchange for huge loans to failing family businesses.

GOP senator plans to introduce bill requiring candidates to release tax returns
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4...se-tax-returns
Does he also want to require it for Senators?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
now you liberals are tax experts and know how to read a tax return? democrats didn't read Obamacare when it was passed and you want to see other's people's returns?

what's more important to me is how a politician enters government pretty much broke and leaves office multi millionaires like the Clintons and Obamas. Tax returns or summary tax returns won't show that.
Ben Sasse is a Republican. This would be a Republican bill.

The Obamas have been very transparent in their money before, during and after Obama left office. $16 Million of his $20 Million was from his book sales. He had stocks, speaking fees, etc. And his investments were put in a trust while he was in office. Afterward, his deals have been public, Netflix, more books, etc.

Now let's talk about Trump, who charged the Secret Service to use his elevators, to ride on his plane, to ride on his golf carts, stay at his hotels in order to secure him. Let's talk about how he allows his country club members to control the VA. Let's talk about how Trump has financially prospered by hosting government meetings and foreign dignitaries at his properties.

What about Ivanka and all the Chinese patents while Trump saved Chinese company ZTE after they were caught selling to Iran and North Korea?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Let's see...
The qualifications for President are spelled out in Article II, Section 1 of the United States Constitution.
The qualifications for the Senate and House are spelled out in Article I, Section 2 (House) and Section 3 (Senate).

If any additional qualification is added, seems to me it would require a Constitutional Amendment, not a law passed by the House and Senate, then signed by the President. The Constitutionality of such a law may be something the Supreme Court will have to decide! The trip through the court system could take a long time.

Such an amendment would require a two thirds vote for passage in both the House and the Senate, then would have to be ratified by three quarters of the States. By the time such an amendment is cussed and discussed in the Legislatures of 3/4 of the states, and ratified by those legislatures (remember, some state legislatures only meet every other year) trump will quite likely have completed his second term. Some states might even put it on the ballot for ratification by popular vote.

However, I agree with some others; I would be very interested in seeing proof of natural born citizenship, college records, military records, a recent complete physical and mental examination, a full FBI/CIA background check for a Top Secret Clearance, and a screening of all social media accounts (including all email accounts).

Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Ben Sasse is a Republican. This would be a Republican bill.

The Obamas have been very transparent in their money before, during and after Obama left office. $16 Million of his $20 Million was from his book sales. He had stocks, speaking fees, etc. And his investments were put in a trust while he was in office. Afterward, his deals have been public, Netflix, more books, etc.

Now let's talk about Trump, who charged the Secret Service to use his elevators, to ride on his plane, to ride on his golf carts, stay at his hotels in order to secure him. Let's talk about how he allows his country club members to control the VA. Let's talk about how Trump has financially prospered by hosting government meetings and foreign dignitaries at his properties.

What about Ivanka and all the Chinese patents while Trump saved Chinese company ZTE after they were caught selling to Iran and North Korea?
Similar to this, so cant get too outraged about that:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ottage-rental/

Quote:
Since April, Mr. Biden has collected more than $13,000 from the agency charged with protecting him and his family for use of a rental cottage adjacent to the waterfront home he owns in a Wilmington, Del., suburb.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:54 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,432,756 times
i'm not sure they legally can since it adds a requirement for POTUS that's not in the constitution.

but...... there's nothing stopping the individual parties from making it a requirement to be on the ticket.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:57 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Similar to this, so cant get too outraged about that:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ottage-rental/
$13,000? That is POCKET CHANGE. Trump charged $64,000 to use his elevators for one month and $137,000 for them to use his golf carts.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ubs/736618001/

Another purchase order showed a charge of $64,000 for “Elevator services- Trump Tower” in December 2016.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/secret-...inue-to-mount/

Old 09-12-2018, 08:21 PM

25,547 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Trump's returns?
We don't care. Didn't believe him when he said "Later", either. If he has broken a law or is in violation that would be between him and the IRS.
If it were to become law, that would be different. It's not the law now.

I sure do like Ben Sasse, though.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Why can't he run for President.
Like you’d vote for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies