Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:13 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times

Advertisements

This cop deserves the same sentence as any civilian would receive for doing the same thing. Is anyone really saying otherwise? I haven't seen that.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:16 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
And if only private citizens were allowed to have guns this would never have happened.

We're going around in circles here. We agree on the main points.
I already showed where that is not true. You wonder why I get the attitude.........Private Security irresponsibly kill people also. They take their guns home. There is no reason this exact same thing could not happen under any circumstance.

We do not agree on the main points. We agree with the 2nd Amendment........I think.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
1) Guyger should be tried for felony trespass and murder, and if her lawyers are good, maybe knock the murder down to manslaughter. Nothing she did had anything to do with being a cop and everything to do with trespassing. Mistake or not, she broke into someone else's house and killed them for them being in their house. If she doesn't get tried and convicted, a lot of lawyers defending folks on felony trespass and B&E will be using the "thought it was my apartment, my bad" defense.

2) The article points out what rebeldor, No_Recess and I (and others) have been saying since forever, and that is the citizen should always be on equal footing both legally and practically as the agents of tyranny. Changing that variable a week ago might not have saved Botham Jean's life, but were it that way always, and the agents of tyranny were held to the same legal standards as the public, and the public was armed to the same degree as the police/military, maybe the culture is such that story has a different ending.

3) I did law enforcement. I am not down on the profession, and I understand why there is legal favoritism in their direction, but the internal code of conduct in too many of these cases is either absent or absurd. Law enforcement officers, on duty or off, should have a higher awareness of escalation of force, better training to avoid immediately going to the firearm, and be held to a much higher standard when things go badly. That's their freaking job. To do nothing but ponder the rules of escalation of force in every possible situation such that they serve and protect, not subjugate and terrorize.

Does this make law enforcement hard? Yes, and it should be. That job gives terrible, awesome legal power to individuals to walk among us as both an implied and applied threat of force and violence on behalf of the almighty state.

4) Martial combat training in most law enforcement departments is pitiful, and cops have two rungs on their escalation of force ladder. Rung 1 = everything is fine, Rung 2 = bang, you're dead. Nothing in between. No baton, no take down, no backing away with non firing hand out and palm up with other hand hovering over weapon in holster, nothing. It is "give command, wait one second, shoot." Police need to be trained far better than they are in how to resolve situations without always going to the freaking pistol.

Again, this might make it harder to do that job, and that's OK. It should be harder, it should be far more selective as to who can be a cop (not everyone can be a Marine, Green Beret or SEAL either), and they should be well versed in non-lethal martial skills. Maybe if Guyger were a proper martial combat badass, Botham Jean is still alive, just with some bruises and a smile on his face since his lawsuit will most likely pay his mortgage off and have some coin left over.

There's simply too much laziness on this subject. Cops and their departments are too lazy to train them properly. Cities/states are too lazy to enact proper standards. Citizens are too lazy to demand change and defeat the current status quo. Etc. And in the end, it's people like Botham Jean getting sacrificed on the altar of all this laziness.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,392 times
If Jean had owned a gun they'd have painted him to be some thug, let's call a spade a spade here. You really can't be a black or latino person and own a gun, even legally without someone raising an eyebrow. No matter how law abiding you are. That one guy that got shot in his own car during a traffic stop had a license to carry, of which he informed the cops and it did nothing.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
1) Guyger should be tried for felony trespass and murder, and if her lawyers are good, maybe knock the murder down to manslaughter. Nothing she did had anything to do with being a cop and everything to do with trespassing. Mistake or not, she broke into someone else's house and killed them for them being in their house. If she doesn't get tried and convicted, a lot of lawyers defending folks on felony trespass and B&E will be using the "thought it was my apartment, my bad" defense.

2) The article points out what rebeldor, No_Recess and I (and others) have been saying since forever, and that is the citizen should always be on equal footing both legally and practically as the agents of tyranny. Changing that variable a week ago might not have saved Botham Jean's life, but were it that way always, and the agents of tyranny were held to the same legal standards as the public, and the public was armed to the same degree as the police/military, maybe the culture is such that story has a different ending.
He had every right to be armed but he still was killed. You are arguing for removing free choice from people. Philandro Castille was armed. Dead.

The problem is in not holding irresponsible people accountable for their actions.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:42 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,080,998 times
From what we know of the details, as soon as Guyger entered the apartment, she saw and engaged Jean. Even if he were a "good guy with a gun," he had no time to go retrieve it.

As soon as she walked in the apartment, Guyger's account states that she saw Jean within seconds. And she drew her firearm on him immediately.

So even if he had a shotgun in the closet or a pistol in his night stand, he had no time to go get it.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I see the point but I think if Botham Jean had defended himself, he'd still be the one blamed.
Better to be blamed and clear your name, than dead and buried.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
From what we know of the details, as soon as Guyger entered the apartment, she saw and engaged Jean. Even if he were a "good guy with a gun," he had no time to go retrieve it.

As soon as she walked in the apartment, Guyger's account states that she saw Jean within seconds. And she drew her firearm on him immediately.

So even if he had a shotgun in the closet or a pistol in his night stand, he had no time to go get it.
Seems to be the case and why I recommend getting a dog. Cops are terrified of even the smallest of dogs and will always shoot it first giving you time to react in order to avoid becoming a passive victim.

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
It's funny how some people think only the government should be allowed to have guns.

Those people have allowed themselves to be brainwashed/ conditioned...they are SO conditioned, they cannot recognize whats going on right under their noses.

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
So we're going to act like she wouldn't have killed him when reaching for his gun?
Not only that, but if he had a gun and shot and killed her, does anyone think a black man having shot a cop would be believed that the cop just walked in with a gun pointed at him and it was self-defense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies