U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-07-2008, 02:51 PM
 
Location: On a hill near a river
14,388 posts, read 12,143,775 times
Reputation: 5736

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
And always remember that your love is very much as valid as any other. Be YOURSELF and be PROUD
Unless you're a polygamist. Then you have to be proud in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2008, 03:00 PM
 
250 posts, read 72,165 times
Reputation: 46
Legal does not equal the right thing to do. Slavery was once the law all over the world. As was child sex. And child sacrifice. If you didn't follow the law you were killed. People who think we are smarter than those before us have to wait until they're old and sick to figure out how stupid they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 14,678,166 times
Reputation: 11101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
Legal does not equal the right thing to do. Slavery was once the law all over the world. As was child sex. And child sacrifice. If you didn't follow the law you were killed. People who think we are smarter than those before us have to wait until they're old and sick to figure out how stupid they were.
Wow, I missed that part, when was slavery the LAW? When was child sex and child sacrifice the LAW?

In what country/countries? During what time frames? Please illuminate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:37 PM
 
69 posts, read 56,408 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Conservatives only disapprove of same-sex marriage because of ignorance and prejudice.
That's a rather sweeping statement. You might consider me a conservative but your above statement is completely wrong.

I disagree with same-sex marriage for many reasons. Some of those reasons are:

1. There is no science to support the born that way theory.
2. Science is actually hostile to the born that way theory.
3. There is a growing population of ex-gays. For example, take Michael Glatze who co-founded the Young Gay America magazine. Mr. Glatze left the homosexual life. Charlene Cothran was the publisher for Venus Magazine, a magazine for homosexuals but she left the homosexual life as well and now uses Venus Magazine to help others leave the homosexual life.

IMO, changing the definition of marriage based on a changeable sexual behavior is social suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 8,127,103 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrip View Post
That's a rather sweeping statement. You might consider me a conservative but your above statement is completely wrong.

I disagree with same-sex marriage for many reasons. Some of those reasons are:

1. There is no science to support the born that way theory.
2. Science is actually hostile to the born that way theory.
3. There is a growing population of ex-gays. For example, take Michael Glatze who co-founded the Young Gay America magazine. Mr. Glatze left the homosexual life. Charlene Cothran was the publisher for Venus Magazine, a magazine for homosexuals but she left the homosexual life as well and now uses Venus Magazine to help others leave the homosexual life.

IMO, changing the definition of marriage based on a changeable sexual behavior is social suicide.
Are you arguing for ignorance? You're doing a hell of job, scripy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
 
69 posts, read 56,408 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
How does legalized gay marriage force anything upon anyone ...
A good question. Here's something you might not have considered:

Let's say John and Martha marry and have a long life together. If John dies before Martha, Martha receives John's pension until Martha dies as well. But, what if Martha dies first and John decides to give his pension to his son, so he marries his son. Nothing wrong with that, right? I mean it's a same-sex marriage and they can't have kids so why not? Well, what about that pension and how does that affect others by continuing the payments for another 30 years? What about social security?

Why limit marriage to a single same-sex couple? Why not 5 same sex couples forming one marriage? Why not 5 opposite sex couples forming one marriage?

There's a well-known homosexual activist named Frank Kameny who says bestiality is okay as long as the animal doesn't mind. Should we allow marriage to animals or just let some people have sex with animals because they have the freedom to do so?

Should transgenders get medical benefits for surgery? How does that affect your medical premiums?

How does alll this affect our culture and society? Where do we draw the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 PM
 
69 posts, read 56,408 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Are you arguing for ignorance?
Then by all means, provide a reference to a study that says I'm wrong.

Since you can't, who is on the side of ignorance here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
 
Location: los angeles
5,031 posts, read 8,127,103 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrip View Post
A good question. Here's something you might not have considered:

Let's say John and Martha marry and have a long life together. If John dies before Martha, Martha receives John's pension until Martha dies as well. But, what if Martha dies first and John decides to give his pension to his son, so he marries his son. Nothing wrong with that, right? I mean it's a same-sex marriage and they can't have kids so why not? Well, what about that pension and how does that affect others by continuing the payments for another 30 years? What about social security?

Why limit marriage to a single same-sex couple? Why not 5 same sex couples forming one marriage? Why not 5 opposite sex couples forming one marriage?

There's a well-known homosexual activist named Frank Kameny who says bestiality is okay as long as the animal doesn't mind. Should we allow marriage to animals or just let some people have sex with animals because they have the freedom to do so?

Should transgenders get medical benefits for surgery? How does that affect your medical premiums?

How does alll this affect our culture and society? Where do we draw the line?
You're doing a hell of job, scripy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
 
69 posts, read 56,408 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You're doing a hell of job, scripy
And we can see from your posts that your only contribution to the discussion is personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
 
Location: in my house
1,385 posts, read 1,997,456 times
Reputation: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrip View Post
IMO, changing the definition of marriage based on a changeable sexual behavior is social suicide.
People used to feel that way about interracial marriages too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top