U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 PM

14,345 posts, read 11,412,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Gays can call it what they want, as long as they dont go down to the county clerk and try to get a marriage license
That's not quite true. There is nothing to stop a gay person from marrying.

As long as they marry a member of the opposite sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 07:10 PM

2,258 posts, read 2,440,394 times
Whats your point and how does it pertain to the discussion at hand.

You dont have one and it doesnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Christians don't own the word marriage.

Get over it.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:12 PM

5,152 posts, read 5,455,736 times
Quote:
Whats your point and how does it pertain to the discussion at hand.

You dont have one and it doesnt
Right.

I shot down your little marriage statement, yet, my point doesn't pertain to the discussion?

You make no sense...at all.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 PM

2,258 posts, read 2,440,394 times
your 12 maybe 13. The religious component has no bearing on this debate. Its a legal matter as stated in the thread title. Like most people who are losing an argument you try to throw out red herrings and argue points that are irrelevent to the issue. If you want to know what a red herring is google logical fallacy.

The best part of your post was your profile saying you are leaving Indy in the fall which is shortly after I get there.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 PM

5,152 posts, read 5,455,736 times
Quote:
your 12 maybe 13. The religious component has no bearing on this debate. Its a legal matter as stated in the thread title. Like most people who are losing an argument you try to throw out red herrings and argue points that are irrelevent to the issue. If you want to know what a red herring is google logical fallacy.

The best part of your post was your profile saying you are leaving Indy in the fall which is shortly after I get there.

I know what a logical fallacy is. I love philosophy.

And you proved nothing. Gay marriage has existed as long as heterosexual marriage has. Any sociologist will tell you that. No religion or couple (in this case, heterosexual) owns the word marriage.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM

24,642 posts, read 13,519,579 times
Bryan, I see you like to call people names and insult them instead of addressing issues.
It's good that we've got your game.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:16 PM

4,732 posts, read 2,650,100 times
This is a point and I'm going to make it because I want to.
I love my Dog. We have sex, he loves it, and so do I. He is my partner in life. My best friend talks to me with his eyes and wags is tail at me. I come home and he waits for me every day. I take care of him and feed him and give him shelter. When I die I want to give my house to him and my backyard so he will always have a place to sleep.
I would like to marry him.

I would like to marry my sister.
She knows everything about me and I know everything about her. We have sex and we dont tell mom and dad we keep our secret in the closet and hope to come out about it someday on opera or jerry springer.

I want to marry 100 women. I love them all and they love me. I want to have kids by all of them and live in a community as one happy family.

All these people above would say they have rights to be equal has gays and men and women marrying. I can assure you if more people knew they could do this in the law and not be verbally abused more crazy people like this would come out of the wood work. The same religous nuts would be out saying the samething. Gay people see themselves as normal the rest of the world does not that is the difference. I put Gay people wanting to marry in the line of I want to marry my sister.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM

24,642 posts, read 13,519,579 times
And you consider your dog to be a consenting adult? Very interesting.
These are strawman arguments that have been discussed numerous times on the why I hate gay people and they're no better than practitioners of beastiality because my god says so and I agree: I think they're lesser than me, should be killed or beat up or denied all rights that other humans receive.

I got that right, didn't I?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 PM

4,732 posts, read 2,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And you consider your dog to be a consenting adult? Very interesting.
These are strawman arguments that have been discussed numerous times on the why I hate gay people and they're no better than practitioners of beastiality because my god says so and I agree: I think they're lesser than me, should be killed or beat up or denied all rights that other humans receive.

I got that right, didn't I?

Who said anything about killing, beating up gays. Denied rights humans receive...?
Marriage is between a man and a woman. I'm confused how marriage is a right. After the state and government didnt make marriage a Right. It actually is a religious practice and bond between the church and the two people marrying that is where marriage did come from. Now we have a mix of legal and church marriages these days but that was the origin of marriage in churches and religion. Notice you didn't discuss the sister or 100 women or 100 men if you prefer. Nothing to say about the other adults and humans? I didnt say it wasnt crazy JUST believe it will we discuss by those people and demand those rights too.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:14 AM

3,940 posts, read 9,212,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post

The US on the other hand, is a bit of an anomaly, being one of the most developed and wealthy countries in the world, still is bound by anachronous and conservative Christian ideology - so ingrained into the cultural fabric of the country that it has a very real affect on same-sex legislature.

Self-righteous types who oppose same-sex marriage because their religion says it's wrong, and will go to extreme lengths to maintain the "sanctity" of marriage. This has less to do, I think, with preserving historically definitions of marriage, but rather is a result of hate, fear, and ignorance - all a direct result of biblical passage.
Canada got the French, Australia got the criminals, and America got the Puritans. That's why we're prudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies