Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 07:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
yes. i get tired of paying more taxes than the 40% of the population that pays no income taxes at all.
40% of the population. Please. Provide some serious link to this information, I’m interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Social programming, curiosity, desperation... etc.
This is not an induction. What about the religious programs to make gay people straight. Curiosity is natural. Please tell me what social programming exists to be gay? Acceptance/equal rights. Has anyone tried to make you black?

Quote:
You made a decision contradictory to the course of nature, too many of you and the population would dwindle over time.
We can only hope. The world is overpopulated and too many people have kids when they shouldn’t. They don’t have the wherewithal to raise them.

Quote:
I am saying, if your going to have kids go get married. If you have medical problems (phenomena)... whatever, you have been dealt bad cards in life, do what you want.
Then what’s your problem with gays getting married? You stress that they can’t have kids, neither can I. When I was married, my husband & I received benefits of married folks with no intent to ever have kids. Both of us were sterilized.

So you have double standards. It's apparently a simple case of prejudice/bigotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 07:12 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So tell me, where does one get their morals and values if not from religion?
I'm sorry when I read this I just needed to say this. How can you get morals and values from a book of fiction? you get values and morals from the people around you and experiences not from a book.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
I'm sorry when I read this I just needed to say this. How can you get morals and values from a book of fiction? you get values and morals from the people around you and experiences not from a book.
Agreed. I'm not nearly as religious as I once was, but I realize that I learned the majority of my moral values and social ethics through trial and error, social interactions, studying, etc. as opposed to sitting in church every Sunday and being told that I'm going to hell because God hates me just before the ushers come by with the offering plate and expect me to open my wallet. I know PLENTY of non-Christians who are ethically-sound and morally-upstanding folks. Why does one need the Holy Bible as a crutch to rely upon for guidance when humans have their own internal biological compass to rationalize the differences between "right" and "wrong?"

Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Why does one need the Holy Bible as a crutch to rely upon for guidance when humans have their own internal biological compass to rationalize the differences between "right" and "wrong?"
That is without a doubt the most fatuous and absurd remark I have read on this forum in many days.

Exactly where is this "built-in biological compass" located?

There would seem to be a high probability that you have simply extracted it from the crease in your buttocks...

Old 04-06-2008, 12:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That is without a doubt the most fatuous and absurd remark I have read on this forum in many days.

Exactly where is this "built-in biological compass" located?

There would seem to be a high probability that you have simply extracted it from the crease in your buttocks...
There would also seem to be a high probability that your educational attainment level speaks for itself... Anyhow, I've known people who were raised in Atheist households who still learned how to properly rationalize between good and evil. You need not attend a Christian church to understand that "Thou shalt not steal" or "Thou shalt not kill" are good general rules of thumb to abide by. I'm quite certain that even if I had not attended church and Sunday School weekly growing up that I'd still be the (generally) considerate person that I am today. What's your excuse?

Old 04-06-2008, 02:19 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This is not an induction. What about the religious programs to make gay people straight. Curiosity is natural. Please tell me what social programming exists to be gay? Acceptance/equal rights. Has anyone tried to make you black?
I like how you assume that I am not black. White people living in black neighborhoods readily adopt black culture and customs, I see this several times a day. Same goes with gays.

What about the religious programs? They are not mandated...

Your right, curiosity is natural. But as for myself, I never let it compromise my life or my purpose as a male. I have never seen or heard of a gorilla having a same sex partner for extended periods.

Quote:
We can only hope. The world is overpopulated and too many people have kids when they shouldn’t. They don’t have the wherewithal to raise them.
Still is not a natural course to take, just another example of the human brain making un-natural decisions.

Quote:
Then what’s your problem with gays getting married? You stress that they can’t have kids, neither can I. When I was married, my husband & I received benefits of married folks with no intent to ever have kids. Both of us were sterilized.
Then why do you have a husband as opposed to a wife? Was it convenient at the time?

Quote:
So you have double standards. It's apparently a simple case of prejudice/bigotry.
Nope, just trying to preserve what is natural and proper. Doesn't the fact that homosexuality has been persecuted for all time show that there is clearly something wrong with it? Have humans really been that "ignorant" and misguided for all this time, is that even possible? Or do you truly feel that there should be no boundaries to any human? Not entirely my argument, but something to ponder.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:34 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
There would also seem to be a high probability that your educational attainment level speaks for itself... Anyhow, I've known people who were raised in Atheist households who still learned how to properly rationalize between good and evil. You need not attend a Christian church to understand that "Thou shalt not steal" or "Thou shalt not kill" are good general rules of thumb to abide by. I'm quite certain that even if I had not attended church and Sunday School weekly growing up that I'd still be the (generally) considerate person that I am today. What's your excuse?
I'll type slowly so that you can follow this: if someone is "taught" and "has learned" something, they do not have a "built-in biological compass", now do they? Otherwise, they would not have had to learn anything.....

Now tell us more about educational attainment. No wait -- you don't have to, I forgot. Yours is "built-in"....

Last edited by Yeledaf; 04-06-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Bashing homosexuality is also not a legit stance either - it's mostly Christians who are so anti-gay, citing their god as to why they think they can discriminate and insult gays.

Yet, when their religion or bible is called into question, all of a sudden it's "attacking Christianity".

If you can use the bible as evidence as to why gays shouldn't be allowed equal rights, I can use it to make a mockery out of your beliefs. Catch 22.

Not quite. I now believe you started this thread with a chip on your shoulder.

You generalize and label an entire group (Christians) in much the same way you complain how they do it to your group.
No, all Christians do not discriminate and insult gays.

I don't understand the statement: 'gays shouldn't be allowed equal rights'. same-sex marriage notwithstanding, what is denied?

Old 04-06-2008, 02:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
I like how you assume that I am not black. White people living in black neighborhoods readily adopt black culture and customs, I see this several times a day. Same goes with gays.

What about the religious programs? They are not mandated...

Your right, curiosity is natural. But as for myself, I never let it compromise my life or my purpose as a male. I have never seen or heard of a gorilla having a same sex partner for extended periods.

Still is not a natural course to take, just another example of the human brain making un-natural decisions.

Homosexual behaviour has been observed in all types of animals and exclusively homosexual primates have been observed.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:54 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
You ever try to put together a workout machine without a manual? Certainly, some people are mechanically inclined and feel that they don't need a manual, but there are those of us who would choose to use the manual as guidance, if nothing else.

What may be a 'book of fiction' to you, is guidance to others. So, if it is fiction to you afterall, then how can you honestly think you'll understand an answer to the question: 'how can you get morals and values from a book of fiction?' If it's already fiction to you, then why bother asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies