Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 06:03 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Furthermore, there is no contemporary evidence outside of the bible which supports the birth, life, and death of Jesus. So, this religion with which people base their life on and use as justification to hate an entire population doesn't have the slightest shred of evidence to back it up?

But people have been using their beliefs to hate entire groups throughout history. That ain't a religion-specific thing and certainly doesn't mean they ALL do it. But you generalize, and in order to prove your point, you cite the bible end to end. Don't you realize that people believe in it, as much if not more, than you do in gay lifestyle/marriage?

You'll never change their minds by assaulting their beliefs the same way hardcore bible-thumpers will never change your mind by assaulting your beliefs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
It's all hypocrisy!

Escape clauses and hypocrisy.
You use your religion to spread bigotry and hatred, yet you turn around and cry foul when your religion/bible is used against you.

There's an interesting thread on divorce and christianity in religion.
You're so silly and hypocritical; double standard anyone?
Why is it that many christians don’t allow escape clauses for homosexuals and others?

Christians push their religious belief on others, when they are not willing to follow all of them in their own lives. Perhaps they should not be allowed to marry or adopt based on the numbers below:

For generation ex: Divorce Statistics, Marriage Statistics: Divorce Rates in America, Marriage

U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas

Barna report: Variation in divorce rates among Christian faith groups:

Denomination (in order of decreasing divorce rate) / % who have been divorced
Non-denominational ** / 34%
Baptists / 29%
Mainline Protestants / 25%
Mormons / 24%
Catholics / 21%
Lutherans / 21%

** Barna uses the term "non-denominational" to refer to Evangelical Christian congregations that are not affiliated with a specific denomination. The vast majority are fundamentalist in their theological beliefs. More info.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:04 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It's all hypocrisy!

You use your religion to spread bigotry and hatred, yet you turn around and cry foul when your religion/bible is used against you.

There's an interesting thread on divorce and christianity in religion.
You're so silly and hypocritical; double standard anyone?
Why is it that many christians don’t allow escape clauses for homosexuals and others?

Christians push their religious belief on others, when they are not willing to follow all of them in their own lives. Perhaps they should not be allowed to marry or adopt based on the numbers below:

For generation ex: Divorce Statistics, Marriage Statistics: Divorce Rates in America, Marriage

U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas

Barna report: Variation in divorce rates among Christian faith groups:

Denomination (in order of decreasing divorce rate) / % who have been divorced
Non-denominational ** / 34%
Baptists / 29%
Mainline Protestants / 25%
Mormons / 24%
Catholics / 21%
Lutherans / 21%

** Barna uses the term "non-denominational" to refer to Evangelical Christian congregations that are not affiliated with a specific denomination. The vast majority are fundamentalist in their theological beliefs. More info.
How in the world do you think there is a double standard?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 PM

How could gay marriage possibly cheapen marriage, and the "sanctity" of marriage, any more than christians have?

Either you're christian and follow the bible, the entire bible, or not.

You can't wear mixed blend clothing if you propose that homosexuality is an abomination based on biblical verses.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:13 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
How in the world do you think there is a double standard?
do you know how to read? i think that it's pretty obvious to all who have ever been to a marriage ceremony that husband & wife pledge to be with each other for life, "forsaking all others". yet, the bible thumpers choose to ignore that tenet of the sacrament and at the same time refuse the rite to others who need/want it.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
It's all hypocrisy!

Who are you directing this at?
(If it's me I'll ask you how do you know my religion? And how do you know what I 'spread'?)

And who is spreading bigotry and hatred? I could completely flip the SAME EXACT statement of yours by saying precisely this:

you and others insult the bible at every turn (which bothers me much less than you may think) but yet 'cry foul' when people say they don't believe in gay marriage.

Some posters are so completely sensitive that at every disagreement of their ideas it must be: oh you're just hateful then. c'mon, that level of sensitivity is unusual even for C/D.

I've said nothing hateful, spiteful, but you and others can call me an 'idiot,' 'silly' and such. I don't have to add the names to get a point across. And as I've said before, such responses are either the sign of a weak argument, or someone who probably doesn't want to present ideas respectfully but rather flame others for theirs.

Last edited by 66nexus; 04-12-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
Im a homosexual and a Christian.

Sorry trnmeon you sound bitter at best. You also show you know nothing about the bible apparently.

If you are christian and gay it is a choice. I know it is wrong according to the Bible and I am personally not strong enough not to partake in homosexuality. It is kind of like the Bible says not to lie or mislead yet most people are not strong enough to ONLY tell the truth. Or not to covet thy neighbors wife. Most people can not control their thoughts. All you can do is try to live the best as you can. I do not champion gay rights or let people know who don't approve of my gay lifestyle know I'm gay.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
It's all hypocrisy!

So when people call someone's religious beliefs: untrue, a fantasy book and such, that's not disrespectful at all. But stop the presses if someone says they don't believe in gay marriage. Can one disagree? absolutely, but what happened to we all have different ideas to respect? And you talk hypocrisy.

(And it's funny because if you're indeed referencing me, you're not the only poster to mention the use of 'my' bible, even though I don't cite the bible AT ALL in my posts.)

(This is clear proof that you do not care about others ideas because you only read what stabs at your emotion and become so wound that, you convince yourself to know my religious and biblical affiliation.)

Old 04-12-2008, 09:08 PM

It doesn't wound me.
It's simply hypocrisy.
Your bible has no basis in fact. If it did, you could prove what it says. You can't. It's all a matter of faith and because you "believe" it.
It's all pick and choose verses to prove/disprove what you accept/not.
Do you eat shellfish?
Do you wear blended cloth?
If you don't believe/accept all of it; the result is hypocrisy.
You want others to follow what you want them to; you cite your bible for your reasoning.
If you don't follow everything in your bible; don't ask others to believe you or your viewpoint based in the bible.

Funny, you assume I'm talking about you when my statement was more general.
Want to dispute the divorce stats I posted?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:18 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
Quote:
It doesn't wound me.
It's simply hypocrisy.
Your bible has no basis in fact. If it did, you could prove what it says. You can't. It's all a matter of faith and because you "believe" it.
It's all pick and choose verses to prove/disprove what you accept/not.
Do you eat shellfish?
Do you wear blended cloth?
If you don't believe/accept all of it; the result is hypocrisy.
You want others to follow what you want them to; you cite your bible for your reasoning.
If you don't follow everything in your bible; don't ask others to believe you or your viewpoint based in the bible.

Funny, you assume I'm talking about you when my statement was more general.
Want to dispute the divorce stats I posted?
Can you prove the theory of evolution?
Can you prove what causes gravity?
What cause the weather?
What makes us rovole around the sun?
What cause life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies