Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 06:16 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
And you see nothing hypocritical about that? Wasn't it your god, Jesus Christ, who stated that he loved everyone? What makes Christians think they have the right to hate or judge any group of individuals, when their so-called "savior" didn't even partake in that kind of behavior?

I do generalize, but my generalizations are based on truth - the truth of the matter is that the overwhelming number of gay bashers (people who go out of their way to make the lives of gays and lesbians more difficult than they already are, and just not in regards to marriage), are Christian.

I really couldn't care less what people's religious beliefs are - you can choose to believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and flat Earth hypothesis for all I care - but the moment you try to use your disproven, completely scientifically inaccurate religious beliefs to deny me rights, we have a major problem.
Okay so let me get this straight, you openly admit you generalize but get mad when you feel people are generalizing about gays? Oh, but then you conveniently say "it's who you are as an individual"......after stating that you generalize.

YOU don't see anything hypocritical about THAT? Course you don't

You happen to be exactly like the person/people you're against. How can you make a generalization based on truth?

Then you keep on saying you don't care what people's religious beliefs are (and I almost believed you...) but you most certainly do care-:

Because if you truly didn't, you wouldn't need to point out Christians and such as the ones making your life 'hard'. You wouldn't keep saying that Jesus Christ is 'my' god. (which is about the 8th assumption you've made)

Funny how you didn't say the US GOVERNMENT, you know, where the laws come from...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 12:05 PM

200 posts, read 121,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Okay so let me get this straight, you openly admit you generalize but get mad when you feel people are generalizing about gays? Oh, but then you conveniently say "it's who you are as an individual"......after stating that you generalize.

YOU don't see anything hypocritical about THAT? Course you don't
I generalize based on fact. The reality of the situation that Christian indoctrination and religious beliefs have managed to become intertwined with government legislation, and increasingly, elected officials are allowing this association to appeal to this majority demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Funny how you didn't say the US GOVERNMENT, you know, where the laws come from...
The US government is influenced by Christianity. That's a fact. And that's where my problem comes in.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
That's because the majority of members of the US government are Christians...because we are a predominently Christian nation.

What would you like them to be influenced by...neo-paganism? (that's a rhetorical question BTW)

Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 PM

408 posts, read 696,095 times
Don't mind if some of the government is christian...that does not mean they all are, and should not force their beliefs down America's throat.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM

In 45 pages, all we've done is gone around in circles, but the reality remains - the most cited passage for Christians who condemn homosexuality is Leviticus, which can be found in the Old Testament.

Now, also in the Old Testament, one can find examples of the subjugation of women, religious intolerance, incest, support for the institution of slavery in both Old and New Testaments, and obligatory religious wars and the order to commit the genocide of the Canaanites and the Amalekites, among others.

While some religious groups support the bible's decisions by reminding critics that they should be judged by the standards of the time, to which they measure much more closely, other religious groups, mostly conservatives and particularly Southern Baptists, see nothing wrong with the bible's judgements.

So, if you're using this book as some sort of "moral compass", while simultaneously suggesting that homosexuality is a sin, you're clearly a hypocrite. I mean, if you're going to go by that thought process, go ahead and fall privy to each and every biblical conviction - and I mean every one.

Those who actually assert that some biblical passages shouldn't be counted while others are still applicable are just using religion to foster and justify their hatred and ignorance.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
That's because the majority of members of the US government are Christians...because we are a predominently Christian nation.

What would you like them to be influenced by...neo-paganism? (that's a rhetorical question BTW)
Here's a bit of historical information for you:

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion..."

From Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli 1797, which was unanimously ratified by the U.S. Senate and signed by President John Adams.

Not only was the US not founded on the Christian religion, it was not in any way, shape, or form, to become interwoven within state or supreme law. And certainly, not ever used to deny a certain group of individuals freedoms.

The fact of the matter is that, government should not be "influenced" by any entity - it's supposed maintain a distinctly separate and secular stance.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
Quote:
In 45 pages, all we've done is gone around in circles, but the reality remains - the most cited passage for Christians who condemn homosexuality is Leviticus, which can be found in the Old Testament.

Now, also in the Old Testament, one can find examples of the subjugation of women, religious intolerance, incest, support for the institution of slavery in both Old and New Testaments, and obligatory religious wars and the order to commit the genocide of the Canaanites and the Amalekites, among others.

While some religious groups support the Bible's decisions by reminding critics that they should be judged by the standards of the time, to which they measure much more closely, other religious groups, mostly conservatives and particularly Southern Baptists, see nothing wrong with the Bible's judgements.

So, if you're using this book as some sort of "moral compass", while simultaneously suggesting that homosexuality is a sin, you're clearly a hypocrite. I mean, if you're going to go by that thought process, go ahead and fall privy to every biblical convictions- and I mean every one.

How one can actually assert that some biblical passages shouldn't be counted while others are still applicable are just using religion to foster and justify their hatred and ignorance.
I figured that you would stop trying to quote that bible.

Try (Corinthians 6:9-10)

Old 04-14-2008, 12:58 PM

Why don't you try Romans 1:27.

Where Paul tells a story in his letter to the Romans about men “leaving the ‘natural use’ of the woman” to have sexual relations with other men. The passage is more or less saying that the natural use of a woman is to function as a derogatory sexual outlet for a man.

Contradictory? I think so.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
Quote:
Why don't you try Romans 1:27.

Where Paul tells a story in his letter to the Romans about men “leaving the ‘natural use’ of the woman” to have sexual relations with other men. The passage is more or less saying that the natural use of a woman is to function as a derogatory sexual outlet for a man.

Contradictory? I think so.
Did you read the whole passage?

It goes on to say "burned in their lust for one another." Where are you gin with this? It says what they were doing was wrong and will pay the price. The whole verse is talking about sexual sin.

We do not need to have a bible lesson. This is an issue as you see in the previous post that has two distinct lines of thinking.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:15 PM

Well, Corinthians also states that effeminate men will also not inhabit the kingdom of god, and I know men with so-called effeminate behavior who are not gay, and some who are.

And, like everything, science has proven that effeminacy in men, and masculinity in women is probably due to hormonal influences in effect before birth. Therefore, according to the bible, god is punishing individuals who had no control over their behaviors.

Look, the bottom line is that I don't subscribe to Christianity, I think it's a fraud and reject every notion it proposes of reality. Trying to convince me otherwise is not gonig to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies