Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:07 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,422,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Same here. I think the political complaint gland is overactive in some people.

And most of the complainers eat better than we do.
Speak for yourself! We are having Delmonico steaks tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 05:15 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
Well, I didn't ask simply if people did "better", I asked if their real income has risen, being an employee with the same company, in the same job.
Seems to me to keep up the same lifestyle one has to get bigger raises than 1.5 %.

And neither am I complaining. I simply asked the question if others are getting raises that are more in keeping with the real inflation, because if they aren't - they are working for less money. Thankfully we have no problem paying our bills, but for many people who are barely making ends meet, getting no raise or tiny raises might push them over the edge and not all area's have a big supply of jobs and moving costs money some people might not have.

So back to the original question...
are you WORKING for less money this year, after you adjust for inflation....

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,422,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Well, I didn't ask simply if people did "better", I asked if their real income has risen, being an employee with the same company, in the same job.
Seems to me to keep up the same lifestyle one has to get bigger raises than 1.5 %.

And neither am I complaining. I simply asked the question if others are getting raises that are more in keeping with the real inflation, because if they aren't - they are working for less money. Thankfully we have no problem paying our bills, but for many people who are barely making ends meet, getting no raise or tiny raises might push them over the edge and not all area's have a big supply of jobs and moving costs money some people might not have.

So back to the original question...
are you WORKING for less money this year, after you adjust for inflation....

Sorry. To answer the original question yes we are. Much less to be frank. I am currently unemployed and my husband got a 1.7% raise and, had his hours cut.
We too can pay our bills and eat well. We budget well too!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 PM

Thank you Ibginnie!
I posted this question to see how others are doing.... we keep hearing about he impending recession, foreclosures etc. - just makes me wonder how the "average" person is doing.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:27 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,065 times
My income has risen... but that's due to assuming more responsibility and taking on more complex tasks.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,630,921 times
My salaried income is roughly the same, but I made more than enough money to compensate by betting against the US dollar since late 2006, and betting on commodities like sugar and wheat.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
lucky you! Does this mean you can only get 3 to 4% - no more, or is this a "minimum" raise?
I say that it is the minimum but maybe not the maximum (never seen it higher) but unless something catastrophic happened, it will be 3-4% each year.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
My salaried income is roughly the same, but I made more than enough money to compensate by betting against the US dollar since late 2006, and betting on commodities like sugar and wheat.
Good for you. Wish I had held on to my Euros!!! I'll be sorry this year when I go to Europe and pay through the nose... in fact I wouldn't go at all, if it wasn't for family over there.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
I got 4.5% this year, with that and the kickbacks from vendors I'm doing alright ;-)

Old 04-02-2008, 06:44 PM

738 posts, read 1,883,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
its common today under the bush economy

income has declined for 5 years straight while working hours and productivity rise, so technically were working less for more
Has nothing to do with Bush.It has been that way for a long time. Go back to the 80's.

But of course, everything is Bush's fault, i forgot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies