U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,762 posts, read 10,612,802 times
Reputation: 3957

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your other post said they had no impact so according to you that wouldn't change anything. Just that no one would do those jobs.

I'm not trying to beat you up and I don't even agree with the conservatives on this one (i'd prefer a guest worker program like Canada has), but in a thread talking about hard science? More laborers = lower wages is absolutely established fact. Disagreeing with that is wayyyyy off into alex jones crazyland.
I never said it had no impact , that's your phrasing, not mine. Respond to what I posted, not what you wanted me to post and we would all be able to communicate better , and even I can admit that maybe I could have phrased it better

This entire thread is about who to blame for these issues , my entire point is that it has never been Leftist's fault or at least not in the last 30 or so years.

Republicans and Conservatives keep running on an issue that they have had the votes to fix and won't , they have had the ability to enforce the laws on the books and won't

Blaming Democrats just doesn't make sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,762 posts, read 10,612,802 times
Reputation: 3957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your ignorance of absolutely accepted science is duly noted.

In magical dsjj land, supply and demand don't work....just like things getting warmer is due to gays or lying fake news.

You're absolutely stating that more supply does not affect demand and thus the wages needed to attract workers. Sigh.
Again context if the thread matters . Democrats didn't do it and these aren't " Black jobs" , therefore not " black wages either "

Using Construction jobs since they have been brought up multiple times, that industry is almost 80% white and has never more than 7% Black , currently 6.19%

Saying that illegal( or even legal immigrants) are taking black jobs, specifically using Construction or the hospitality industry is a balded face like, and is used to cause racial tentions . No different from the conservative religious argument used when talking to black churches about " the gays" and the left supporting them over " good "Christian black people "

It isn't truthful, it's just there to divide .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2018, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,211 posts, read 3,106,175 times
Reputation: 2529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
It's like some type of mantra that plays in their head. At one time (maybe 1978) in some locations (for example Detroit and Newark just to throw something out there), some aspiring politician on the campaign trail might have talked about increasing the number of section 8 vouchers given out or fighting for a cost-of-living increase raise to food stamps. Those in attendance roared with a loud cheer! A few local single mothers with multiple-children were put in front of the mic and yelled "dat's what I'm talkin' bout!"
That image has never left some White people's head. It replays over and over and over in their minds ike a bad case of PTSD.

Whatever the case, these certain White people are hypersensitive that Black people are getting or will be getting something from the govt that they 1) don't deserve and/or 2) is somehow taking something from White people cupboards and children's mouths. This type of thinking has been around since the Civil Right Act was passed. This thinking borders on a severe case of a psychotic obsessive-paranoia disorder.

For a people who make up close to 70% of the total population, make up the overwhelming majority of the workforce in all industries, banking, educational and religious institutions, and have NEVER historically been oppressed in this country longer than one generation, who can make sense of their hyper-vigilance about what "scraps" (even they admit it's only the scraps") that some part of 13% of the population may or may not be getting in the way of assistance from the gov't.

* This is not a sweeping indictment against all Whites, just those for whom the shoe fits.
There's soooo much that can be said about Conservatives view of social programs and minorities. Reagan's welfare queen meme still lives on 40 years later. The misrepresentation of that Black woman saying she didn't have to worry anymore is the new version. The end result is that even though a logical person should assume that any actual people like that would be the exception, not the norm, Conservatives choose to believe that this the typical Black voter.

Notice how none of the posters who chirped up about believing this myth have come back to defend themselves? I guarantee the next time a topic like this comes up, they'll come back with the same viewpoint. That's the racist reality they CHOOSE to believe.

And let's not get started on Conservative views on any program they think benefits minorities more than Whites -- automatic opposition, even if it actually benefits as many or more Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2018, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Near Falls Lake
2,306 posts, read 1,680,556 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So 58% of balck people take no government help what so ever.

You actually proved his point thanks
So you are ok with the 41.6 number? Such a small, insignificant number...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2018, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Near Falls Lake
2,306 posts, read 1,680,556 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Yes 41.6% does translate into a lot of Black people on public assistance but apparently you failed math early on in your primary and secondary education. 100% - 41.6% = 58.4%.

58.4% is larger than 41.6%. In fourth grade, you would have seen it written like this: 58.4% > 41.6%.

So the poster you're attempting to argue against is right: The MAJORITY OF BLACKS, 58.4%, according to the stats that you posted ARE NOT ON PUBLIC ASSISTANCE.

Maybe it would help if you got a dollar worth of pennies, counted 41 of them and place them behind your back, then counted what is left in front of you. See, there are more pennies in front of you than what you placed behind your back, right? That's pretty much how numbers work. Math can be fun...unless you went to the same elementary & middle school as Trump. Then all bets are off as to just what in the world you were taught.

Go back and read my post again. What argument did I put forth? I was just stating the facts per the census bureau. As I'm sure you can agree, 41.6% is a VERY substantial number....staggering in fact. Is there anywhere in the post I stated that it represented the majority of voters? I posted it because I prefer to deal with actual facts....not just insinuations. I suspect that most of the people posting in this thread (including yourself) were NOT aware of the actual number. As far as my math abilities, I can assure you that as an electrical engineer, I am quite competent and capable of fairly high level math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2018, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,762 posts, read 10,612,802 times
Reputation: 3957
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
So you are ok with the 41.6 number? Such a small, insignificant number...right?
That number comes from the census and includes VA benefits , Medicaid , and Medicare

So yea, I'm fine with it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2018, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
21,762 posts, read 10,612,802 times
Reputation: 3957
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Go back and read my post again. What argument did I put forth? I was just stating the facts per the census bureau. As I'm sure you can agree, 41.6% is a VERY substantial number....staggering in fact. Is there anywhere in the post I stated that it represented the majority of voters? I posted it because I prefer to deal with actual facts....not just insinuations. I suspect that most of the people posting in this thread (including yourself) were NOT aware of the actual number. As far as my math abilities, I can assure you that as an electrical engineer, I am quite competent and capable of fairly high level math.
You are being obtuse .

The person you responded to said a majority were not on welfare, you responded by saying " actually" a lot of black people are on welfare as if you were saying he was wrong .

Even if you want to argue that you were just making a point and didn't mean to make it come off as if he was wrong , it was still you purposefully moving the goal post because you couldn't prove him wrong.

Long story short,if you are going to quote someone , respond to the comment being made or , admit they are right and then make your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2018, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,211 posts, read 3,106,175 times
Reputation: 2529
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
So you are ok with the 41.6 number? Such a small, insignificant number...right?
Considering most of them don't vote and most people who are not on welfare do vote? Yeah it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2018, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Near Falls Lake
2,306 posts, read 1,680,556 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are being obtuse .

The person you responded to said a majority were not on welfare, you responded by saying " actually" a lot of black people are on welfare as if you were saying he was wrong .

Even if you want to argue that you were just making a point and didn't mean to make it come off as if he was wrong , it was still you purposefully moving the goal post because you couldn't prove him wrong.

Long story short,if you are going to quote someone , respond to the comment being made or , admit they are right and then make your point.
Not being obtuse in the least! The poster made a statement without providing actual backup to his position....something that would have been easy to do. So.....I just provided numbers for him/her and others to do with as they wish. I made NO claim that I supported one position or the other! I do feel that the 41.6% is quite a significant number and as such, an embarrassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2018, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,211 posts, read 3,106,175 times
Reputation: 2529
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Not being obtuse in the least! The poster made a statement without providing actual backup to his position....something that would have been easy to do. So.....I just provided numbers for him/her and others to do with as they wish. I made NO claim that I supported one position or the other! I do feel that the 41.6% is quite a significant number and as such, an embarrassment.
So you do understand that 41.6% is less than 58.4?

Ok let's move on... Do you understand that 41% includes children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top