Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:22 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, I don't think I made my point clear. I was talking about the people who go into a frenzy when confronted by a gay person.....almost like the wave of gayness will somehow contaminate them. Those are the people (oddly enough almost always men) who I do think are denying so strenously what they fear in themselves.

Now about sex........Lesbian sex holds no appeal to me. In fact, I cannot imagine myself doing that. I think that gay people have the same reaction when thinking about having hetero sex.....basically eeeewwww.

But, that doesn't make it right to get in someone's face about how their sex life grosses one out.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 PM

200 posts, read 121,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
So, nothing a nice stint in federal prison won't cure? Face your fears and become a man, or bi**h....or both?

I never did buy into that psycho-babble theory. I get along fine with a lot of gay men, but still find the thought of their sex life rather repulsive. I pondered that theory of homophobia and found that I found the idea of being secretly personally attracted to men more repugnant than trying to picture the sex lives of my gay friends.

If this theory were accurate in my case, I cannot believe I would be able to have such close friendships with men who are gay. I will grant you, there are a few I have met that I cannot tolerate, but I really think I would dislike them even if they were straight. They would find a way to make any lifestyle irritating.
See, that's exactly how I feel about my heterosexual friends. Especially when they talk about the chick they "banged" and other details about their sexual escapades really does gross me out.

Despite this however, I can maintain a friendship with them.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
camping!:
I suspect that those who are the most vocal about being repulsed by gay sex secretly have homosexual desires and they cannot handle it. Thus they hate those that have the courage to be what they are most afraid of.

MamaBee:
LMFAO, yes...if something is revolting to you it must be because you harbor a secret desire for it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
A few general thoughts before addressing the above quotes specifically: I hesitate to get into these discussions, because they usually get pretty heated, and usually involve people going back and forth with basically the same standard views, and the extreme views on BOTH sides are pretty simplistic. If you think seriously about these issues, there are some complex questions which usually are not addressed when the "Less filling!"--"Tastes great!" arguments get going, with the standard lines, requiring about as much real thought as reciting those lines from the old Lite beer commercials, start getting tossed back and forth. That said, to me one idea that is pretty simple is that what two people do behind closed doors is their business. I don't have to like it or be comfortable with it for them to have that right.

And in fact I do get disgusted at the thought of two men in particular having sex. Why? I don't know. It's just a reaction that I have. I can't explain this any more than I can explain why the presence of an attractive woman gets my interest. It's just the way it is. I do have the theory--just my personal thought--that revulsion toward homosexuality may be something innate which, somewhere in the development of human beings, entered the basic psychological makeup of the species for the purpose of enhancing the species's chances of survival. In this age when we worry that the world may be overpopulated, it's easy to forget that not so long ago the issue was usually a matter of making sure to have a large enough population. "Be fruitful and multiply" for the purpose of having enough people to maintain a prosperous community, enough hands to work the land, etc., rather than run the risk of dwindling to a straggling, aging, fading band of wanderers. For most of human history, sexual behavior which did not contribute to procreation was a real threat to a community's survival. Those who did not tolerate this behavior may have enhanced their chances of surviving, and passing along their genes, including the basic makeup that would include aversion to homosexuality.

Obviously this gets very complicated when you ask the questions of why in this case homosexuality exists at all, and why there seems to be less aversion to lesbianism than male homosexuality. It would take quite a long post to get into these complexities, but the theory that natural selection has favored those who were intolerant of non-procreative behavior is at least one thought I've had to explain the widespread aversion to homosexualtiy.

As for the frequent assertion that being critical of homosexuality must mean you are repressing such feelings in yourself, this is just too convenient. As is true with all rights movements, the gay rights movement has its political side, and some leaders who use their position as leaders of this movement to enhance their own power. It's in their interest to promote this idea that being anti-gay must mean you really are gay. What better way to quiet the critics. It's just not true. There's a lot more going on here than that. There's also a lot more going on than my natural selection idea, which is just a thought about one question related to a very complicated reality in this world.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
So how do you explain Sen. Larry Craig?

Old 04-02-2008, 05:33 PM

513 posts, read 896,642 times
They are homophobic because they've been told to feel that way, otherewise they wouldn't know the difference. We live what we learn. Perfect example is the foods we eat here in the states are normal to us but go to another country and try something we don't eat here and most people are grossed out by it. Live and let live is a very good quote.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
camping!:
I suspect that those who are the most vocal about being repulsed by gay sex secretly have homosexual desires and they cannot handle it. Thus they hate those that have the courage to be what they are most afraid of.

MamaBee:
LMFAO, yes...if something is revolting to you it must be because you harbor a secret desire for it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
A few general thoughts before addressing the above quotes specifically: I hesitate to get into these discussions, because they usually get pretty heated, and usually involve people going back and forth with basically the same standard views, and the extreme views on BOTH sides are pretty simplistic. If you think seriously about these issues, there are some complex questions which usually are not addressed when the "Less filling!"--"Tastes great!" arguments get going, with the standard lines, requiring about as much real thought as reciting those lines from the old Lite beer commercials, start getting tossed back and forth. That said, to me one idea that is pretty simple is that what two people do behind closed doors is their business. I don't have to like it or be comfortable with it for them to have that right.

And in fact I do get disgusted at the thought of two men in particular having sex. Why? I don't know. It's just a reaction that I have. I can't explain this any more than I can explain why the presence of an attractive woman gets my interest. It's just the way it is. I do have the theory--just my personal thought--that revulsion toward homosexuality may be something innate which, somewhere in the development of human beings, entered the basic psychological makeup of the species for the purpose of enhancing the species's chances of survival. In this age when we worry that the world may be overpopulated, it's easy to forget that not so long ago the issue was usually a matter of making sure to have a large enough population. "Be fruitful and multiply" for the purpose of having enough people to maintain a prosperous community, enough hands to work the land, etc., rather than run the risk of dwindling to a straggling, aging, fading band of wanderers. For most of human history, sexual behavior which did not contribute to procreation was a real threat to a community's survival. Those who did not tolerate this behavior may have enhanced their chances of surviving, and passing along their genes, including the basic makeup that would include aversion to homosexuality.

Obviously this gets very complicated when you ask the questions of why in this case homosexuality exists at all, and why there seems to be less aversion to lesbianism than male homosexuality. It would take quite a long post to get into these complexities, but the theory that natural selection has favored those who were intolerant of non-procreative behavior is at least one thought I've had to explain the widespread aversion to homosexualtiy.

As for the frequent assertion that being critical of homosexuality must mean you are repressing such feelings in yourself, this is just too convenient. As is true with all rights movements, the gay rights movement has its political side, and some leaders who use their position as leaders of this movement to enhance their own power. It's in their interest to promote this idea that being anti-gay must mean you really are gay. What better way to quiet the critics. It's just not true. There's a lot more going on here than that. There's also a lot more going on than my natural selection idea, which is just a thought about one question related to a very complicated reality in this world.
I don't think you can dismiss the idea out of hand. As I said, I was refering to the unpalatablity of homosexual sex has to heterosexuals (or vice versa, for that matter). I was refering to the people who make a huge deal out of how 'gross' gay sex is, how they cannot tolerate being in the same room as a gay person lest the catch it or some such nonsense. As a very famous man (with reputed homosexual leanings) once said "She doth protest to much" and that is a truism that holds today!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I'm sorry, I don't think I made my point clear. I was talking about the people who go into a frenzy when confronted by a gay person.....almost like the wave of gayness will somehow contaminate them. Those are the people (oddly enough almost always men) who I do think are denying so strenously what they fear in themselves.

Now about sex........Lesbian sex holds no appeal to me. In fact, I cannot imagine myself doing that. I think that gay people have the same reaction when thinking about having hetero sex.....basically eeeewwww.

But, that doesn't make it right to get in someone's face about how their sex life grosses one out.
Here's another example of how complicated this really is. I agree that you might wonder what feelings really exist in someone who is adamant and very obtrusive in expressing disgust with, or even hatred or animosity toward, homosexuals (in other words, someone who "doth protest too much"). However, if you turn around the last sentence in Camping!'s post, you get an idea how someone who ordinarily might have no great problem with homosexuals could be provoked to anger, or at least irritation. Agreed that heterosexuals don't need to be in someone's face about how his sex life grosses them out, but on the other hand, homosexuals don't need to be in my face about how I have to accept everything about their way of life. As long as I leave them alone to live as they choose, they are out of bounds to tell me what to think, and if they're really in my face about it, yes, I'm likely to get irritated.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:39 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,293 times
It's adam and eve not adam and STEVE. C'mon sillies!

.. On a serious note. Who cares about homosexuality? PDA is disgusting, straight or homosexual. Save the sex stuff for the bedroom and no one cares what you do in there.

It's usually the uptight older generations that hateee homosexuality. Which was probably created when they were humping the bible. I mean, when they were religious. ;D

In about 25 years, homosexuality will be accepted. (Just gotta get the old folks isolated in the nursing home, )

Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
It's adam and eve not adam and STEVE. C'mon sillies!

.. On a serious note. Who cares about homosexuality? PDA is disgusting, straight or homosexual. Save the sex stuff for the bedroom and no one cares what you do in there.

It's usually the uptight older generations that hateee homosexuality. Which was probably created when they were humping the bible. I mean, when they were religious. ;D

In about 25 years, homosexuality will be accepted. (Just gotta get the old folks isolated in the nursing home, )
I will agree with you 100%! PDA is disgusting, I don't care who is doing it. The other day I was treated to the sight of teenage lovebirds gnawing each others faces. Let's face it people, sex can be down right unsexy!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I will agree with you 100%! PDA is disgusting, I don't care who is doing it. The other day I was treated to the sight of teenage lovebirds gnawing each others faces. Let's face it people, sex can be down right unsexy!
Lol! Ain't it the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies