Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That was no joke. He was above the sea wall there, which is pretty high. For the water to be that far above the sea wall in Galveston, it was pretty bad. Actually Ike was a bad storm. I was in Houston at the time. All those restaurants and stores they were showing were destroyed in that hurricane.

Yeah, 15' at least. If he had been pulled back over it after getting knocked off his feet, he would have been a goner as the waves would have repeatedly slammed him into a concrete wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 02:17 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Yeah, 15' at least. If he had been pulled back over it after getting knocked off his feet, he would have been a goner as the waves would have repeatedly slammed him into a concrete wall.
And all those massive rocks there too. It was a very bad place to film.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Overblown forecast and overly dramatic media. I saw one reporter howling about the foolishness of those who stayed to ride it out while standing in the storm herself. Lol

I’d like to know how many N.C. residents died in traffic incidents driving hundreds of miles to evacuate as they were encouraged to do by authorities. I bet more died evacuating than did in the storm.

That misses the point. The storm did far less damage and injury than it could have but you never know what is going to happen. Sometimes they strengthen and sometimes they weaken just before landfall. Evacuation has it's issues but is the usually safest course of action. Katrina also weakened before landfall and turned east, prompting early reports to declare that New Orleans was spared, until the levees failed.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
That misses the point. The storm did far less damage and injury than it could have but you never know what is going to happen. Sometimes they strengthen and sometimes they weaken just before landfall. Evacuation has it's issues but is the usually safest course of action. Katrina also weakened before landfall and turned east, prompting early reports to declare that New Orleans was spared, until the levees failed.
Exactly. And I’ll always remember Rita bearing down on us right after Katrina and everyone evacuated and got stuck in colossal traffic jams with no gas available. I knew people who took 18 hours to get from Houston to San Antonio. They swore they would never evacuate again. Luckily Rita moved eastward and didn’t hit all those sitting ducks on the freeways from Houston. Still I think something like 70 people died in traffic accidents during that evacuation, but it could have been catastrophic if Rita had a direct hit on Galveston.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:32 PM

556 posts, read 622,383 times
I question the number of storm related deaths. How many people normally die in that area during the same
non-emergency time period?

Old 09-15-2018, 03:34 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I question the number of storm related deaths. How many people normally die in that area during the same non-emergency time period?
The tree falling on the house nd killing the mother and infant doesn't seem like a legit storm death to you? What about all the water rescues they're doing? These folks survved, thankfully, but would not have been in farm's way had they evacuated.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Exactly. And I’ll always remember Rita bearing down on us right after Katrina and everyone evacuated and got stuck in colossal traffic jams with no gas available. I knew people who took 18 hours to get from Houston to San Antonio. They swore they would never evacuate again. Luckily Rita moved eastward and didn’t hit all those sitting ducks on the freeways from Houston. Still I think something like 70 people died in traffic accidents during that evacuation, but it could have been catastrophic if Rita had a direct hit on Galveston.

That was a knee-jerk reaction to Katrina that saw people 50 miles inland on high ground packing up the cars and heading out. Most of them probably should have stayed put. If you're in a mandatory evacuation area, get out.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
The tree falling on the house nd killing the mother and infant doesn't seem like a legit storm death to you?

Why not?

Old 09-15-2018, 03:38 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
I wish the guys walking past would have started miming him and his over acting.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
That was a knee-jerk reaction to Katrina that saw people 50 miles inland on high ground packing up the cars and heading out. Most of them probably should have stayed put. If you're in a mandatory evacuation area, get out.
It was an overreaction, and during Ike they were asking only those people in mandatory evacuation zones to leave and the rest to stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies