U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 25 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The problem for my fellow Americans is we have -for 50 years- brainwashed ourselves to be fearless
We have taught ourselves that predators are not dangerous -if you respect their space
Or worse -there is no such thing as a wolf -only different species of lambs with large teeth-
Fearless and defenseless is a bad combination
Huckleberry thread killer strikes again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:22 PM

25,354 posts, read 16,295,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Well then, you would lose. The "you won't recognize London" comment came from my buddies ex-girlfriend Alison who lives in Manchester when I mentioned going back after 25 years. The "roving band of Muslims" comment came from my ex father in law who lives north of London. I can provide phone numbers for both. Pay up.
So the people that actually live their lives there and see the situation every day are wrong-the person that stops over and catches a few tourist traps on vacation is the expert?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:24 PM

817 posts, read 286,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Agreed. I'm an American ex-pat and I don't know anyone who fled the states out of fear. WE moved to places where we can get more bang for the buck, including healthcare. I loved where I lived in the USA. I simply loved the idea of retiring at 55 more.
Madonna (yeah that one) just moved to Portugal out of "fear" of DJT.

"Although she doesn't say it explicitly, the music legend alluded to the President Donald Trump when she said she was keen to relocate her family from their home in New York City because "this is not America's finest hour," saying, "I felt like we needed a change, and I wanted to get out of America for a minute.

"https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8468283/madonna-explains-move-to-portugal-interview

I too looked into cheap ex pat life briefly, but that draw of northern Arizona prevailed. No regrets.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:25 PM

15,367 posts, read 8,036,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Amen! *fistbump*

I lived in Tbilisi, Georgia from 2014-2016. I loved it. Georgians are very pro America mostly (a couple of Iron Curtian days holdouts that had power/control in the bad old days were an exception), but I liked it there a lot.

Spent quite a bit of time in Armenia also, mostly in Yerevan. Armenians are culturally odd (too me), but seem like decent folks. Gracious and giving people. I was stranded driving in a high pass snow storm, welcomed into a man's home and fed, even as a stranger.

The Armenian/Azerbaijan conflict created a few hassles for me while there, both socially and logistically (I traveled a lot) but they all seemed to be decent people that I met.

Met quite a few Americans/Europeans while there (mostly passing through), and made a friend or two from from Baku even.

One of the more interesting guys I met on the road was an English middle school teacher that is traveling the world on his bicycle in a super hero costume to raise awareness/money for children and Parkinsons disease.

https://www.facebook.com/supercyclin...wc2oPwP3PIMGIg

I would like to explore more of Eastern Europe.
I'm going to Tbilisi first for a few days before traveling to somewhere in Europe.....leaning towards Budapest but wife is interested in Switzerland so we'll see. Baku is quite livable place and a good locale to do a foreign assignment compared to many places including where I was last assigned in Kuwait. I've heard many say they like Tbilisi even more than Baku so going to see for myself.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 PM

817 posts, read 286,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm going to Tbilisi first for a few days before traveling to somewhere in Europe.....leaning towards Budapest but wife is interested in Switzerland so we'll see. Baku is quite livable place and a good locale to do a foreign assignment compared to many places including where I was last assigned in Kuwait. I've heard many say they like Tbilisi even more than Baku so going to see for myself.
Tbilisi is more cosmopolitian than Baku. Lots do do, great food everywhere. Also easy on the wallet. Traffic is anarchy though, so dont drive yourself.

Met several Azerbaijanis that vactioned in Tbilisi from Baku. They came for a reason.

While in Georgia, I do not reccomend Batumi, unless you know where you are going, or have local trusted friends. I'll leave it that that.

But there is a ton of great places to go to in Georgia, east, south and north. I was all over that country. Took a 100 mile ride through through the high desert in a group on high performance UTV's from Tbilisi to the David Gareja monastery complex. That was great!

I only passed through Geneva a couple of times (airport layover time), didn't linger, so no opinions.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 AM

10,914 posts, read 7,718,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Yet another lame attempt at fear-mongering from the right.

Put it back in the deck.
Fear mongering? I'm commenting on a messageboard. Lol!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 AM

84,985 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
246+ million white males in the USA (no doubt the base source of the right wing terror, right? ) and 3.4 million muslims in the USA (includes all, not just adults) and yet the proportional rate of terror is way tilted to muslims commiting these acts. But that needs to be ignored, right? Or else its clearly Islamaphobia!

Good try by listing facts and stats, but these all run against the leftist narrative so cranial-rectal inversion is immediately deployed by our left wing apologist friends.

Here is you speaking truth to power:

https://orig00.deviantart.net/d6c9/f..._v-d66ox90.png
I don't have a dog in this fight, but you're off by a factor of about 2 for your number of white males in the US. There are about 118,000,000 males of all races over the age of 16. 72% are white, ~84,000,000.
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF

Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 AM

12,082 posts, read 5,602,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Never believe an American when it comes to the opinions of other countries.

A shocking number of Americans never leave the states, something like 10% never even leave their own state!
This right here in a nutshell. These people insist that these other countries are alarmingly dangerous & riddled with crime while they completely overlook the crime that happens daily in their backyard. They live in a uninformed bubble. They’re complacent in their fear. I almost feel sorry for them.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:19 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This right here in a nutshell. These people insist that these other countries are alarmingly dangerous & riddled with crime while they completely overlook the crime that happens daily in their backyard. They live in a uninformed bubble. They’re complacent in their fear. I almost feel sorry for them.
There is a difference
They target foreigners

Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Huckleberry thread killer strikes again
Stick in the mud you are so right guilty as charged
But please consider a little common sense caution might be in line if traveling to a strange place in tormoil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or