U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,269,977 times

Advertisements

Who has bad karma to be stabbed or robbed, will be stabbed or robbed. But good news they won't be drowned.

I have been to many European countries (last year have been to Norway, Spain and Portugal) and everything was fine. Four years ago I was in Paris and lived in the Gallieni area twelve days. Many locals said it's not a safe neighborhood of the city. But we had no any issues even when we were back home at 11 pm every night. Same thing with London, Brussels and all Italian cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:49 PM

817 posts, read 285,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but you're off by a factor of about 2 for your number of white males in the US. There are about 118,000,000 males of all races over the age of 16. 72% are white, ~84,000,000.
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF
Yeah, you are correct. I pulled the wrong data from wikipedia.

My bad.

But 84 million to 3.4 million?

The proportion is still way out of whack.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:06 PM

2,823 posts, read 497,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Translation: "Because I did not experience anything while touring, no one is being stabbed, having acid thrown in their faces, being assaulted, raped, killed...nope, I didn't see it so it doesn't exist."

All those young girls in UK just made it all up. All those people in Germany who have been killed just made it all up. All those in France who were killed just made it all up.

So, did your travel guide lead you to the "Pakistani neighborhoods" throughout the UK? Did you visit those "no go zones" throughout Europe since you were "looking for them"?

I'll bet you didn't.
I feel safer in Europe than I do in the USA. I don't trust the shot first, ask questions later attitude by both citizens and the police.

I respect the police generally (lots of friends in law enforcement or retired there from), but not the cowboys that many LEOs view themselves as in the USA. The 2A is a joke with the way it has been convoluted where so many feel they need a gun "for protection".

I'd invite them for a couple of weeks in the backcountry with me, and have them see how often they really need a gun "for protection". I'm a gun owner, but never felt that fear or "just in case" attitude too many have.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:22 PM

5,057 posts, read 1,533,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I feel safer in Europe than I do in the USA. I don't trust the shot first, ask questions later attitude by both citizens and the police.

I respect the police generally (lots of friends in law enforcement or retired there from), but not the cowboys that many LEOs view themselves as in the USA. The 2A is a joke with the way it has been convoluted where so many feel they need a gun "for protection".

I'd invite them for a couple of weeks in the backcountry with me, and have them see how often they really need a gun "for protection". I'm a gun owner, but never felt that fear or "just in case" attitude too many have.
Many cops in Europe are carrying full auto weapons - actual sub-machine guns. When's the last time you saw a local yokel cop here in the states carrying an Uzi around the town's train station, hmm?

If its so safe, why do they have that gear just walking around?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:13 PM

2,823 posts, read 497,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Many cops in Europe are carrying full auto weapons - actual sub-machine guns. When's the last time you saw a local yokel cop here in the states carrying an Uzi around the town's train station, hmm?

I just spend some time in Europe. I have not seen what you talk about, and I was in Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, and Ireland.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:05 AM

5,057 posts, read 1,533,917 times
Quote:
I just spend some time in Europe. I have not seen what you talk about, and I was in Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, and Ireland.
Maybe you're just not attuned/looking for it. I'm always checking out what people are carrying - just force of habit. In Germany the special duty officers carry the MP-5 submachine gun. I saw them carrying it in stations in Dusseldorf, Berlin, Stuttgart, pretty much wherever I went. Also at the University Leipzig although there was a conference that may have escalated security concerns.

In Netherlands, Dutch police I saw were carrying the same weapon in stations and also in the town centre and at the shopping mart. Its a popular weapon for police in Europe....as I saw it also in Gare du Nord in Paris, at Eiffel Tower, on the plaza in front of the Louvre, also in the metro at several different stations. Its commonplace. In Paris, most of these were not police but actually military/soldiers...usually in the train stations for example. City police are often just patrol officers, some are even unarmed, others with just sidearms. The ones that stand in the glass booth - are heavily armed. Even if you don't see them wearing it, they have a full auto SMG in there with them. Trust me, and btw do not stand up on the railings near the hedges to look over into the grounds of the buildings they are protecting. Unless you want to see the business end of the bayonet from the soldier walking post just on the other side of the wall. LOL. Learned that one the hard way.

Speaking of Ireland, again most local cops aren't armed there like the rest of the UK but in all of Ulster and in Dublin the Garda carry submachine guns. They used to carry Uzis, and I have heard they have now switched to the MP5 as well. They don't mess around due to all the street violence that has occurred over the years with the troubles.

I have not been to Hungary since the late 90s but when I was there last I actually had a minor car accident and the officers who responded had some kind of assault rifle I didn't recognize - some Eastern Bloc weapon certainly - but for sure was the real deal - folding stock, all business. Just regular city police too. They took a report and left. Obviously they get rougher stuff than just fender-benders to be carrying that around with them.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 AM

20,595 posts, read 15,424,228 times
Quote:
The very first time I got off of the plane in Frankfurt Germany, we saw polizei walking around with Uzis. How you could miss them is incredible.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:30 AM

2,399 posts, read 1,639,877 times
Quote:
London is indeed unrecognizable - there's so many non-English there its hard to figure out where you are - only the architecture is a clue.

Paris is a nightmare too. Full of Africans.
Indeed.
London is still a pretty good city despite the cesspool of illegal immigrants sleeping rough.
But Paris is just horrible now and it would take a lot to get me back to a city I used to love.
I have friends in Germany who say Merkel's open invitation to the flotsam and jetsam of the migrant world has been an absolute disaster and is fueling not only rising crime but also the rise of the right-wing fascists.
Europe is still a fantastic place to visit full of history,culture and food but an even greater care of personal safety is needed than ever before.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:56 AM

8,589 posts, read 2,900,085 times
Quote:

Thats more to do with the history of some European police forces, which were established as part of the military. This is especially the case in Southern Europe and some Central European countries but less so in Northern Europe. The sight of Gendarmeries with powerful weapons is nothing new in many parts of Europe, and was a regulr sight before the current terrorist threat.

Gendarmerie - Wikipedia

In countries such as the Great Britain, Southern Ireland and Norway the police remain largerly unarmed, and London set up one of the first civilian police forces under Robert Peel and his pibcipal that the police should be the people and the people the police.

Peelian principles - Wikipedia

As for actual danger, I would suggest that Europe was actually a fairly safe continent, it has less gun violence than many countries and Americans take a far greater risk visiting neighbouring Mexico than they di visiting many parts of the world. Sadly Mexico has some really bad organised crime and crininality, as indeed does parts of South America.

Some recent 2018 Articles -

Mexico: homicides up 16% in 2018, breaking own records for violence - Guardian

'Breathtaking homicidal violence': Latin America in grip of murder crisis - Guardian

A third of the world's murders happen in Latin America | Daily Mail

'Organised crime doesn't have elections': no end to killings as Mexico votes - Guardian

Latin America is the world's most violent region. A new report invesigates why - The Washington Post

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-18-2018 at 07:29 AM..

Old 09-18-2018, 12:14 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,065,436 times
Thats right , stay in nice safe america, may I recommend gary in???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or