Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 02:37 AM

804 posts, read 545,449 times

Advertisements

France is declared a nation of peace. Think "Barbarella" The problem with France is that they made prostitution harder to do. They put a fine on the women/men. Now they even have a fine where you are caught exchanging money ( not the act itself ) for prostitution the person seeking them will be fined.

France other problem is that it is seen as a second United States. Again a melting pot. Due to it's culture and arts.

The people in France just have a problem when the US wanted to go to war and they did not want to go to war because France does not want any part of genocide in the Afghan Iran conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 02:59 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
This was the warning I received when I announced my upcoming trip to friends and clients. "There are roving bands of Muslims", said one. "You won't even recognize London", said another. Then there are the news reports of the swarms of refugee rapists. Well, I just returned from my trip to Rome, San Marino, Venice, Monaco, Paris and London and I'm happy to report that all of the warnings are absolute BULLPUCKY. I walked ALL OVER these cities during my visit and I didn't see a single example of the supposed horrors that I was warned about, and I LOOKED for them. So, ignore the fear mongers and go ahead and book that vacation. You'll have a wonderful time. Just watch out for those obnoxious American tourists.
I'm pretty sure you're safer in Europe than you are here.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:14 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Guess you stuck to the heavily policed tourist areas.
Exactly.

In every country there are some areas that are far safer than other areas. As much as people complain about the crime-rate in America, the crime-rates are by no means uniform. Probably 10-20% of a given city has 90% of the crime. And in some areas, crime is nearly non-existent.

Most people know that Chicago has a high murder-rate, but people aren't being shot in the rich/touristy areas. They are being shot in low-income ghettos. The rich touristy areas have a huge police presence, because if they didn't, why would tourists go there? And if you get out to the suburbs of Chicago, you aren't going to find a lot of crime there either(which is why people with money will pay to live there).

There are millions of people who "go out" every single day, and only a tiny fraction of those people will be the victim of crime. And even in the absolute "worst" parts of this country, your odds of being the victim of a crime is still fairly low.

So while I wouldn't advise it, even if you go to the absolute worst neighborhoods in this country, at least nine times out of ten you aren't going to get robbed/raped/assaulted/etc.

I remember when I was working for the railroad. I was driving around 3 AM through one of the worst neighborhoods in the city, and I saw a young woman who was clearly drunk walking down the street. And I was really worried that she wasn't going to make it home. I felt like I should do something, but I was at work, so I slowed down but then just kept driving.

I am pretty confident that the woman made it home just fine, but we all recognize the heightened danger she had put herself in.

The main issue, as it relates to Europe, is that we know Europe is not becoming better, it is becoming worse. It is intentionally ghettofying itself. And the percentage of areas that are unsafe has been increasing. Your odds of being a victim of crime has been increasing, even in many areas that were historically safe.

We can have a debate about if it is bad enough to be a concern, but while crime rates have been falling in much of the world, in Europe they have been on the rise.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...land-and-wales

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42557828

Old 10-03-2018, 07:37 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,401 times
The most dangerous thing I encountered in Europe was in England. I kept looking the wrong way before crossing streets in London. Decades of habit, I am not used to them driving on the left. I think if you go there as a tourist like me, you are pretty much just as safe there as here. Just don't be like BlueCanary and look the wrong way.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:34 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
You must have been asleep when ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi called for Muslims around the world to flood Europe under the guise of a refugee crises, which they started doing just months later. Said they were to impregnate European women, commit terrorist acts, and turn Europe Muslim.

What's it going to take for you to start caring about those being victimized now Ken? Your mother, wife, daughter or granddaughter being brutally gang raped, shot up with heroin to turn them into a junkie so they come back for their fix, and possibly killed? Or will it take for your father, son or grandson to be knifed to death, maybe even beheaded? Or maybe you'll be one of those hard heads that wont call a spade a spade until you get run over by a semi or rental truck driven by a Muslim terrorist (too late then), or you simply 'submit' and become a Muslim to avoid having to stand up for your freedom. Well, don't expect the rest of us to submit, not happening.

Edit: I suggest people learn self-defense. Might need to defend yourself or your wife and/or children, kind of like this: https://youtu.be/TcbGTb58mME
All scare-tactic white supremacist BS.

Just returned from 2 weeks in Europe to attend a family wedding near Ptolemaida - 3 nights in Paris, 4 nights on Crete, 5 nights on mainland Greece, then 2 more nights in Paris.

Paris has a significant African/Muslim minority, but it is hardly "overrun". Those folks are still a distinct minority and some have been in France for decades now. When I lived there way back in the 1960s they were present - though not in the numbers they are now. Most of them are obviously lower class (with some living on he streets) but there are fair numbers of them working various jobs (many of them lower end type jobs). Still, they are an OBVIOUS MINORITY.

On Crete we saw ONE apparent African - that's it. He was in Chania selling stuff on the street. Other than that, we saw NO ONE who didn't appear to be European - and I mean NO ONE. Many tourists on Crete - the vast majority from the UK - and everyone else was Greek. The economy on Crete seemed pretty good overall.

On mainland Greece we traveled along the northern section from Thessaloniki west to the Ionian coast - with most of our time in the interior. We saw ZERO apparent Aftricans/Muslims/refugees. I'm sure there are some there, but they are pretty obviously a tiny, tiny minority. Part of the time we were in "tourist" areas, but particularly in the interior (where we were with family) we were in "regular" areas as well. It was pretty safe everywhere. Too much graffiti for my liking and it's obvious the economy on mainland Greece is still struggling.

The main freeways in Greece (not really freeways because they are toll roads) were AMAZING Especially the tunnel complexes crossing from east to west across the mountains. More tunnels (many of them very new) than I've seen in my life - some of them incredibly long. We went though 3 that were probably close to 2 miles long each and too many to count that were close to a mile long. There was one after another after another. Just astonishing - truly engineering marvels far superior to tunnels I've seen inn the U.S.

Anyway, Europe was great and seemed pretty secure to me. There WAS high security at the various tourist areas of Paris - the various palaces and museums, airports etc. Greece seemed pretty well a normal place as far as security went. All the stories you hear about Greece being flooded with refugees is extremely exaggerated. I'm sure they are there (somewhere) but it seems they are concentrated on a few particular islands.

Weather was great most of the time. We were just ahead of the big storm that hit the Eastern Med, and we had one cold day in Paris, otherwise all was well.

Quit hiding like a coward in your "bunker" and go to Europe. It's terrific - and as always, travel is amazing - and you might even learn how little you ACTUALLY KNOW.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 10-03-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
I wouldn't stay in a Britannia Hotel otherwise it's fairly safe.

Britannia named the UK's worst hotel chain for the fifth year running - The Telegraph

Old 10-03-2018, 09:00 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have visited NY, London, Paris, and many other cities in Europe, America, South America, the Middle East , Etc
Amsterdam August 2018! Two Americans stabbed by Muslim extremist at Central station.
When you are lucky, nothing ever happens. When you are not lucky you are at the wrong place!

Right now crimes of rape in Europe are strongly increasing.

The OP should disclose their gender and age as most rapes occur with teenage girls and young women.

If the OP is not in that category then the fake news Post is just fake news!

When you travel to Amsterdam airport (Schiphol) then the announcers and Signs, for decades are warning for pick pocket thief’s. Careful which taxi to take, just as in NY and other cities.

If in Tampa you go to the wrong spots you will regret it and the same counts for all cieites the OP went too.

Usually the tourist spots and famous places are safe!

The OP makes me laugh and realize how ridiculous such statements.

September 1st, 2018. Amsterdam Central Station. Two Americans stabbed by Muslim https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...icans.amp.html
Yeah crime in Europe IS increasing - and if it continues it MIGHT even reach the levels of the USA.

Maybe you should move someplace else, America is apparently horribly unsafe eh?
I hear North Korea has a very low crime rate.

Ken

Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
As with most subjects, the most ignorant/least experienced tend to scream the loudest.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:46 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Afghan migrant touches 21-year-old Swiss woman's backside in Vienna, she punches him in the face and breaks his nose. Swiss woman gets reported for assault.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2019/01/sw...-assaults-her/

( NOT BEHIND A PAYWALL )

Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Afghan migrant touches 21-year-old Swiss woman's backside in Vienna, she punches him in the face and breaks his nose. Swiss woman gets reported for assault.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2019/01/sw...-assaults-her/

( NOT BEHIND A PAYWALL )
About 20 years ago at the annual tree lighting event in NYC, I lost track of the butt grabs I experienced in the crowds. No clue who or how many engaged in this.

As the evening progresses I put my cold hands into my coat pockets. My right hand met someone else’s hand in the same pocket. I immediately jerked my hand out and look around. Nothing.

Never once dawned on me to ponder the gender, nationality or religion of the butt grabbers or pick-pocketer. Crap happens in large crowds, everywhere. Jerks are jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies