Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,162,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
This was the warning I received when I announced my upcoming trip to friends and clients. "There are roving bands of Muslims", said one. "You won't even recognize London", said another. Then there are the news reports of the swarms of refugee rapists. Well, I just returned from my trip to Rome, San Marino, Venice, Monaco, Paris and London and I'm happy to report that all of the warnings are absolute BULLPUCKY. I walked ALL OVER these cities during my visit and I didn't see a single example of the supposed horrors that I was warned about, and I LOOKED for them. So, ignore the fear mongers and go ahead and book that vacation. You'll have a wonderful time. Just watch out for those obnoxious American tourists.
This is Philadelphia. I don't see a single homeless person, murder or theft.

https://www.centercityteam.com/wp-co...Skyline-15.jpg

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-05-2019 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 11:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,527,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Afghan migrant touches 21-year-old Swiss woman's backside in Vienna, she punches him in the face and breaks his nose. Swiss woman gets reported for assault.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2019/01/sw...-assaults-her/

( NOT BEHIND A PAYWALL )
Anyone, anywhere, can “report” an assault.

According to the link, the Swiss woman returned to Switzerland. Presumably, no action was taken.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:24 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,162,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I’ve lived in America all my life and have never been a victim of a crime, so crime doesn’t exist in America.
The same people who transit through an airport in Europe and declare all is well on the continent, are the same who are quick to say the US is overrun by shootings. Of course, they've never heard a gunshot in their lives.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,395,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
That list is certianly not accurate by any means. Puerto Rico near the "safe" top at #10? Lol.
You didn't like that list? Well putting aside the fact you didn't counter with anything empirical to counter, the point is more than adequately made the U.S. and it's citizens have not got higher ground to stand upon if discussing the safety of European countries. You're killing each other at a greater rate than Muslims or Romas are killing anybody in Europe. FACT!

Here let me help you with another list:

https://www.businessinsider.com/safe...e-world-2018-6
mmmh, U.S. not even in the top thirty.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/the-us...-in-the-world/
Ooopsy, not here either.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html
And once again......

and more:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/20...es-world-2018/

https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2...s-to-visit-are

Old 01-05-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The same people who transit through an airport in Europe and declare all is well on the continent, are the same who are quick to say the US is overrun by shootings. Of course, they've never heard a gunshot in their lives.
Nonsense. The same people who have lived in Europe and the U.S. will tell you they've never heard a gunshot in Europe but the U.S. on the other hand, they've heard plenty. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...map-2018-10-27 "not including the 22,000 suicides"

U.S... the country where idiots have to be reminded through public service announcements prior to New Years eve that bullets fired into the air by drunken celebrants have to come down somewhere.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 PM

1,081 posts, read 544,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Anyone, anywhere, can “report” an assault.

According to the link, the Swiss woman returned to Switzerland. Presumably, no action was taken.
From that same site:
https://voiceofeurope.com/2017/11/sw...ed-by-migrant/

I suppose you would say, "Anyone, anywhere, can be raped by their neighbor."

I agree, terrible things can happen anywhere. Once again, mass immigration does not bring you the best and the brightest. It also comes in with a percentage of criminal element. Immigration needs to be controlled, not stemmed, simply controlled with standards.

Some cultures have different values (like it's OK to have sex with a 12 year old or it's not rape if it's a boy under the age of 13) that do not fly in Judea-Christian-based-law countries. There needs to be more education on the standards and practices (and laws) of the host country for those being hosted. None of that happens effectively in mass immigration. And once again, the criminal element are criminals; hence, they don't follow the laws.

We also need to stop stifling reports or giving more lenient sentences for immigrant law breakers. Just because I have never seen the law that it's not OK to rape my neighbor, doesn't mean I should get a more lenient sentence if I do. The laws need to be adjudicated to the fullest seriousness of the crime independent of the persons race, religion, or culture. We are giving criminals a pass in the name of diversity.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:01 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,688,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
About 20 years ago at the annual tree lighting event in NYC, I lost track of the butt grabs I experienced in the crowds. No clue who or how many engaged in this.

As the evening progresses I put my cold hands into my coat pockets. My right hand met someone else’s hand in the same pocket. I immediately jerked my hand out and look around. Nothing.

Never once dawned on me to ponder the gender, nationality or religion of the butt grabbers or pick-pocketer. Crap happens in large crowds, everywhere. Jerks are jerks.

Oh, your story reminded me of one of my own: About 40 years ago I was in a large crowd with one of my children in my arms (fellow posters, no parent shaming please for having a toddler in a crowd...she survived me and now has several of her own) and I was desperately attempting to locate her pacifier...My hand met someone else's in a pocket...And it was not my husband's, in whose coat I thought I was searching.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
This is Philadelphia. I don't see a single homeless person, murder or theft.

https://www.centercityteam.com/wp-co...Skyline-15.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Philadelphia
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2019 at 01:11 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,596,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
This was the warning I received when I announced my upcoming trip to friends and clients. "There are roving bands of Muslims", said one. "You won't even recognize London", said another. Then there are the news reports of the swarms of refugee rapists. Well, I just returned from my trip to Rome, San Marino, Venice, Monaco, Paris and London and I'm happy to report that all of the warnings are absolute BULLPUCKY. I walked ALL OVER these cities during my visit and I didn't see a single example of the supposed horrors that I was warned about, and I LOOKED for them. So, ignore the fear mongers and go ahead and book that vacation. You'll have a wonderful time. Just watch out for those obnoxious American tourists.
But but.....those who never set foot outside their minds love to THINK that things are this way...that way they never have to leave the comfort zone of their local sports bar.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,596,631 times
Quote:
Our local towns have actually installed gunshot warning systems that inform the police at the sound of a gunshot (which obviously happens quite often).....

A woman I know who works for the Catholic Charity and with homeless over there says she hears gunshots at least weekly....right outside where she works.

By any measure these things are less likely in Europe.

Violent Crime here in Florida is at a 30 year low....which is about 420 per 100K.

In MA (New England) it's 370. Vermont it is 118.

Europe does not use the same standards for measurement so it is difficult to compare, but suffice it to say that some (many?) places in the states are vastly more dangerous than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies