Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:45 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times

Advertisements

Employees should try to communicate with customers and make the sale even when there is a language barrier.
It's more difficult at Home Depot when you want a specific widget but should be a no-brainer at a limited-menu fast food outlet with a menu board with numbered combos..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 11:11 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
That poster is a democrat.....they see racism 24/7 over anything. The word racism doesn’t even mean anything anymore and no one takes it seriously thanks to democrats abusing it and watering it down for years to stoke fear, anger, votes, and political advantage.
Yep xenophobia racism bigotry and sexism mean nothing now.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:13 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
As someone who travels quite a bit, I'm always astonished that I seem to find more English speakers in foreign countries than amongst the immigrants from those same countries that find their way to the US!
People from countries where many people can speak English don't tend to immigrate to the US. It's mainly people from poor countries who immigrate to the US.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It looks like thr black woman holding the iPhone and recording won the racism lottery. Never miss with black folks, iphones and Twitter. I wonder if this article is going to be on the root?
Hmmm. Briebert is the one that posted this? Then this story is all political. They are trying to cause a divide now between the African American community with the Hispanic community, and you want to know why? Briebart is right leaning. Ron DeSantis is the Republican nominee for Florida governor, and his running mate has deep roots in the Hispanic communities, while the Democrat nominee for Florida governor is African American, and he chose a rich white billionaire for his running mate. This story is designed to cause the Hispanics in Florida to start hating on the African Americans, and in turn, hope to get them to not vote for Gillium, but instead vote for DeSantis and Nunez. And mind you, this strategy could work because the Hispanic community easily outnumbers the African American community. I'm even seeing Black Jamaicans and Haitians identifying more with the Hispanics than they do with African Americans.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:40 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
What happened to this woman is rare.

We don't need to legally enforce language in the United States. Spanish usage naturally declines with the generations. Soon, most "Latinos" won't speak any Spanish.

If we tried to make English an official language, believe me, some idiot would try to make Spanish co-official and invent some historical reason to justify that. And that would be supported by left-leaning politicians.

Just ignore Spanish speakers.
This is true. I used to work at a grocery store where there was a Cuban American who worked there, and he was like third or forth generation, and he would get so mad when one of the managers would come to him and ask if he could speak to a woman who could only speak Spanish, and he had to tell the manager straight up, he may be Cuban American, but he doesn't know anything outside of a few simple words of Spanish.

It's one of those things America still tends to stereotype about certain races. And it can go both ways. In the same store, we had two women who didn't know a whole lot of English, but you would never realize it until you tried to speak to them. One was as Black as Oprah, and the other was white as Christie Brinkley, but both were from the Dominic Republic and migrated in their early twenties to the USA. It's just, they didn't come here when they were younger to take advantage of ESOL classes.

Then there was another guy who worked there, people thought he was Hispanic, and he wasn't. He was a full blooded Seminole Native American, who knew a few Native tongues and English. But he got a kick out of it, and loved messing with people with the whole cultural appropriation thing.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I just avoid anywhere between Fort Lauderdale and the Keys if I can help it, and if I can't, you can bet everyone in my vehicle is carrying concealed.
Lol. I think you may have watched Scarface one too many times.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Mexican Food is more local.
Taco Bell is a National Fast Food Chain, that I would not call "Mexican Food" It is crap, with some chili powder mixed in.
Taco Bell is drunk food. Specifically after long nights of drinking copious amounts of cheap liquor that you know you're gonna get a hellish hangover from.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:47 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
This employee knew English so it isn't a incident of language. Something more sinister was going on there but we will never know. I wonder what sort of interaction took place between both of them before she got to the window and started filming.

I'm just waiting for Trump to "tweet" about this incident because it fits his narrative and will fan his xenophobic base into a frenzy.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
As a spanish speaker, the guy is an idiot. Speak the language of the country at your job, even if its hard.
Also eff breitbart. Breitbart can choke.
Does Breitbart speak English? Is that your problem?

Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
This employee knew English so it isn't a incident of language. Something more sinister was going on there but we will never know. I wonder what sort of interaction took place between both of them before she got to the window and started filming.

I'm just waiting for Trump to "tweet" about this incident because it fits his narrative and will fan his xenophobic base into a frenzy.
I'm just waiting for Obama to take credit for solving this language problem..... he worked on it for eight years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies