Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:10 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Also eff breitbart. Breitbart can choke.
He already did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He already did.
We see posts like that from time to time and I do wonder if people are unaware that Andrew Breitbart died years ago at the age of 43.

Some trivia - his father-in-law was Orson Bean (for you old fogies out there ) and his step-mother-in-law was Alley Mills, the actress who played the mom in The Wonder Years.

You can all sleep tonight.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:24 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here's the difference. Koreatown is an ethnic business neighborhood selling ethnic products. Not so, just because a town has a majority of Hispanics living in it. It's an non-assimilation issue out in mainstream America when Spanish speakers or any others whose native language isn't English refuses to speak it. I keep hearing that Hispanics in general are assimilating fast in America. What a joke! They are colonizing not assimilating and as one other poster pointed out building their own little towns across America.
So what's stopping anyone who wants to sell products to all those little towns from learning Spanish?

Just because English is our common language does not mean it will always be the only language spoken here.

In fact, English has never been our only spoken language. As long as there are still native Americans who can only speak their tribal tongues, English never will be our sole spoken language.

Just as it is in the rest of the world, if enough of any group move here, we will all become bi-lingual. And we cannot close all the others out forever.

The first colonizers were only the first in any new unoccupied territory. They are never the last or only. There are always those who arrive later.

The Hispanics in those small towns may come to learn Korean as their second language if that's the language they need to learn to speak.

But since all our laws are written in English, and so much of our culture is in English, everyone will learn some English in time. So some folks are naturally going to learn more than two languages.

Every Jew who ever migrated came to speak at least three- Yiddish, their home country's language, and English. Some were only literate in a fourth- Hebrew. In Europe, knowing 5 languages is common.

You can live life resenting your neighbors, or you can communicate with them. Communication is always a 2-way street. Hating the necessity of communication doesn't change anything.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:46 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
And this is why we have an Idiocracy........ We get the president we deserve.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:20 PM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
this exact thing happened to me at el pollo loco. But I did manage to order but they served me very dry and charred chicken and treated me quite rudely. I didn't really respond but just never went back since. I can see the Latinos becoming quite arrogant and expecting us to speak their language. It is concerning as our governor favors them (California). I intentionally never chose that language to learn because those aren't the folks I want to be around.

however, I continue to press 1 for English whenever I call a state government customer support line with disdain but no protest. I'm white, so I'm apparently the enemy. Looks like the latinos are attacking other minorities as they take over our state.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:28 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
this exact thing happened to me at el pollo loco. But I did manage to order but they served me very dry and charred chicken and treated me quite rudely. I didn't really respond but just never went back since. I can see the Latinos becoming quite arrogant and expecting us to speak their language. It is concerning as our governor favors them (California). I intentionally never chose that language to learn because those aren't the folks I want to be around.

however, I continue to press 1 for English whenever I call a state government customer support line with disdain but no protest. I'm white, so I'm apparently the enemy. Looks like the latinos are attacking other minorities as they take over our state.
My neighborhood has some ethnic Hispanic restaurants staffed only by Hispanics with most of the customers Hispanic. They distinctly made me feel unwelcome. On top of that I felt sick after eating the lousy burrito. And an other white guy like me I know felt sick from eating there too. So I don't frequent those businesses. Franky, they are the ones that should feel unwelcome in my neighborhood and country and many aren't even authorized to be here to begin with.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:46 PM

24,623 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Hispanics and blacks have been going at it for ages. Only thing those two groups have in common is voting for democrats to legislate us out of poverty.

I’m not surprised at all that a Spanish speaker in a Hispanic populated area would racially and linguistically discriminate against one of the few blacks in the area.

I heard this stuff happens in places like Miami all the time.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:07 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Hispanics and blacks have been going at it for ages. Only thing those two groups have in common is voting for democrats to legislate us out of poverty.

I’m not surprised at all that a Spanish speaker in a Hispanic populated area would racially and linguistically discriminate against one of the few blacks in the area.

I heard this stuff happens in places like Miami all the time.
Cubans in Miami tend to be the most Republican voting of the Hispanic subgroups. They tend to be very entrepreneurial (small businesses) and hate communism with a passion since many are descendants of the initial wave of refugees from Cuba when Castro took power - and the one's who came later largely assimilated into this mindset.

I would say there is no tension between Blacks and Cubans in Miami but there is occasional racism.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:09 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,508 times
Miami is a spanish speaking town but this is ridiculous. The employee didn't even try to take her order (by the looks of the video). Good that Taco Bell fired her, bad that they hired her in the first place. Woman should be given free Taco Bell for a month.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It's so funny though that some people want to force English being the official language of a country, where it's own name is rooted in Italian, which some people argue is a sister language to Spanish.
No you are WRONG !! It's NOT funny, it's common sense/practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies