Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 09:37 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
To answer the thread title...

Iran says yes - especially w/ Iranian born Jarrett in the president's ear.

The Muslim Brotherhood, CAIR, and other factions of that group say yes.

Russia says yes.

Our trading partners around the world that enjoyed bilking us say yes.

Those from other countries who want to poach here illegally say yes.

----------------------

As far as I am concerned, I will say yes regarding this - I could definitely do without the collective tantrum that this country has had to endure for almost two years from elite liberals and their pawns who have been wreaking havoc, damaging property, causing injuries.

Otherwise - no, I'm good with where we are.
Would be interesting to see how you actually measure some of these reasons you go on about, but generally speaking I think you struggle to "see the forest for the trees." Hard to address big broad subjects like this with short comments, but "the world that enjoyed bilking us" for example? Two sides to that story at a minimum, beginning with the size of our economy compared to any other for starters.

The damage of property also for example, "causing injuries," in the context or as a percentage of all Americans? Is the reason for these protests not more important, and the number of people who are peacefully protesting regardless what SOME knuckleheads in the crowd might do? I leave it there for now, but how many times can we go on about this thrown bottle, or pizza box set on fire, or even the one crazy that drove his car into protesters. These people are NOT what it's all about!

Like going to a big sporting event and rather than watch the game, you complain all the while about the bad hot dogs...

Old 09-16-2018, 09:38 AM

15,629 posts, read 10,382,405 times
I don't see much change in my day to day life between now and 10 years ago. however, I avoid all people and situations where there could be even the remotest possibility of conflict now. I never did that prior to the last 5 or so years. this avoidance may be due to my age, but it mostly stems from a decline in social civility and an increase in irrational behavior.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-16-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
This.

America is actually America again. We have a leader who loves and respects America again.
Really? That's it? Pass...

Old 09-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
NO!

Shocker....no where in the Constitution is Health care a requirement for government to provide.

Noble Peace prize like Obama got for being the first black president that did nothing to deserve it.
Maybe Mexico will pay for the wall in around about way...you know like the money saved by the US tax payer for all the added cost to them in lower health care and educational cost.
I will guarantee you one thing on the trade wars...it will hurt China a lot more that it will the US in the long run.
I would rather have talks with an enemy than a war.
So soon you forget Clinton and the nearly million dollar hush money payoff ?

True like Hillary/Putin uranium deal or pay to play Clinton foundation.

Two things here...FYI most people retirement is at a all time high because of the stock market boosting their 401Ks. Secondly the left downplays the economy but the numbers don't lie.

The key question you should have asked was 'Are you better off today than you were two years ago'?
Well at least some substance, detail, but again..., really?

We are going to decide about our health care system based on what the constitution might say about it? Is this why we're the only advanced country in the world not signed on to something that makes better sense, for all Americans? Can you point me to where in the constitution it says anything about our health care system before the ACA? Health providers, insurance companies, drug companies. Our space program also for example, NASA?

Noble Peace prize for "being the first black president that did nothing to deserve it?"

My guess is you know about as much about why Obama was awarded the prize as you do about all the rest that is awfully long on just opinion and short of facts and objective reason.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:48 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I know we had our problems. Lots to complain about, be angry about, little-to-no trust in government, "throw the bums out!" Sure, but as bad as it was, don't you miss the America before Trump?
No. Not at all. And having Trump as president, showed me what idiots liberals are.

And in fact, having Trump as president is real change, the kind that Obama had promised America but never delivered on. BTW eight years of Obama and nothing changed for black Americans for the better. Under Trump, everyone is much more involved in the political process (many used to think that under the right president, they could be passive and have the president steer the country), so now a lot of Confederate statues and flags are removed... plus the #METOO movement. Under Hillary or Bernie, none of this would have happened.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 AM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Default Re: Don't You Miss The America Before Trump?

Let's be specific here: I damned sure don't miss the eight-year malaise that this country experienced immediately before Trump was elected. I do, however, miss the America we had under Ronald Reagan, and economically, we're more than recapturing it. The culture, meanwhile, is going to take a very long time to catch up.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:55 AM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Right, but what about the economy and our 401Ks?

I knew I shouldn't have started this thread, but I do surely miss the good old days before Trump started making America great again...
If you are not better off financially under Trump than Obama you are doing something wrong. My stock is up almost $350k and my home value has increased. There is growth again in building.

Of course, those with their hands out mooching off of taxpayers aren’t happy the redistributor in chief is out of office.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:02 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Let's be specific here: I damned sure don't miss the eight-year malaise that this country experienced immediately before Trump was elected. I do, however, miss the America we had under Ronald Reagan, and economically, we're more than recapturing it. The culture, meanwhile, is going to take a very long time to catch up.
I think that as we all enter the 21st century, the gap between those just arriving in the US from a Third Country and multi-generational Americans is going to become greater and greater. Liberals want to complain about income and educational disparities, but IMO some advancements can't be rushed. Previous generations of Americans had the time to rise in economic class, generation by generation. Perhaps going from newly arrived poverty, to being unskilled labour, then skilled tradesmen or small business owner, then to the most recent generation going to college and having a career in medicine or IT.

I think that now, liberals expect the children of newly arrived immigrants to go straight into a life of academic success and a career in the sciences, and skipping all the steps in-between. Meanwhile, America will have a shortage of skilled tradespeople in the future. And white collar Americans oddly look down on the skilled trades, despite the fact that there are good jobs with good benefits in the trades and they are needed to maintain our residences and our national infrastructure. We also coddle newcomers and don't force them to learn English or adopt our ways.

As as long as bleeding heart liberals want to take in any suffering strays from Third World countries, America will always have a big income disparity gap in our society. And I refuse to feel an guilt over that, no matter if the liberals think we all should.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Many of those people who voted for Obama once (and some of them who voted for Obama twice) voted for Trump. THEY were patriotic, open minded Americans when they voted for that first African American candidate you guys like to brag about so much. Now those same people are stupid, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, fill-in-the-blank-other-names because they did not vote for the same person you voted for.

Shut the hell up with your overblown, moronic, simplistic, hand wringing and whining. Vote in November. And then vote again in two years. Vote for your preferred candidate(s). You know - the way the system is supposed to work. The way the system actually DOES work.
I don't know the rationale of people who swing from the likes of Obama, then Trump, no more than I understand the perspective of so many people commenting in this thread, comments like yours, but I have often argued we are fools to believe people who don't agree with us are necessarily any more or less "patriotic" than we are! That's a first mistake a lot of people who don't really understand politics are quick to make. Can't really address the issues, so attack someone's patriotism, character instead.

Your comment goes further south from there, but rest assured I for one will fill in your blank as you suggest when I see good reason to fill in the blank. I/we SHOULD ALL identify and condemn racism, for example, when we see it, but that doesn't mean I see racism everywhere!

Worse still, you suggest I "shut the hell up," and then say I'm the one "overblown?" Get a grip!

I'm doing nothing you accuse me of doing! It's called exchange of opinion, "comparing notes," mature adult discussion -- politics -- and although I know better than to think people will change their minds about anything, how about maybe at least the childish antics and attitude? Of course I vote and of course our system works the way it does, for better or worse. Usually people associate the exchange of opinion as integral to how democracy works. Right?

In any case, no one is forcing you to be a part of this forum. Express your heartburn. Sure, who doesn't, but why get in a twist with others who maybe ARE interested to consider alternative point of view, as well as share our own?

I mean, have a problem with that and/or shut that down, and this forum ceases to exist!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Sounds like the OP is saying he wants to make America great again.
More accurately put, I don't want to go backwards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies