U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 06:46 PM

1,131 posts, read 213,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Only for biblical literalists. Many christians are just fine with the idea that a lot of the stories have emotional meaning, and that meaning doesn't require taking the stories as concrete fact.

I'm an atheist, but fair is fair.
Nothing you said disqualifies it as "fiction".

Old 09-16-2018, 06:47 PM

1,131 posts, read 213,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Do tell.
Already told you. Wake up.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:55 PM

6,482 posts, read 3,413,210 times
I thought that by now all of the Creationists had been stuffed and placed in museums. I was wrong.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:12 PM

29,905 posts, read 15,248,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
It doesn't change the fact one bit that God created us.
Teaching the ToE has no bearing on that. If you want to posit that there's a supernatural force running things behind the scenes, that's fine - but it's at best metaphysics, certainly not natural science. Can't be falsified.

Quote:
I presume you are okay with "evolution" being taught in schools, right?
In a science class, covering biology? Obviously. No other theory matches the observed facts as well. If you want to teach biology, it's staring you in the face.

Quote:
You feel that teaching creationism in schools is trying to force Christian beliefs on others, right?
Not necessarily. More people should know how Odin the All-Father, together with his brothers Vile and Ve, slaughtered the giant Ymir and made the world from his carcass. It's just that creation myths, of any flavor, have no place in a science class. I'm all for teaching the kiddos a comparative religion class that covers a multitude of mythologies, but something tells me that's not going to make you happy, either?

Old 09-16-2018, 07:23 PM

4,074 posts, read 1,151,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
who do you think ate the unicorns?

Us. You can buy it online. Unicorn meat I mean. Damn good, too.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:50 PM

3,572 posts, read 2,313,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Then why would you believe such evidence-less gibberish. Or even that Noah or his ark even existed. Boggles the mind how gullible "believers" are.
They believe it mostly because it was installed into their brains as axiomatic when they were small children incapable of rational thought.

That's the reason belief in religion is so geographically distributed while scientific findings and conclusions are not.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:10 PM

3,853 posts, read 1,603,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Hominids didn't evolve from monkeys.
This statement may be too educated for this site.

In order to compete in the world, we cannot allow these creationists to write school curriculum. The USA is already behind and this kind of garbage only puts us further behind the developed world.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 PM

16,435 posts, read 9,295,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, some people think the entire universe sprang into existence all by itself, and life grew out of "pond slime." They can't explain how that happened though. Nothing can come from nothing.
I would think Nothing would be the perfect place for Nothing to come from.

Men have created a huge assortment of gods over the years to try to explain the unexplainable. Currently there are about 5,000 of them in use.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:28 PM

29,905 posts, read 15,248,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I thought that by now all of the Creationists had been stuffed and placed in museums. I was wrong.
As Sagan put it:

Quote:
Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us - then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls.

The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:43 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,295,280 times
From a scientific perspective, denying evolution is the same thing as denying gravity or believing that the earth is flat. If somebody's religious requires them to do so they by all means have the right to deny reality and cling to their fiction. They don't have the right however to force that on everyone else.

It's really hard to believe creationism in science classes is still a political cause that has strong backing by the GOP. Even among Christians, the number of people who believe the earth is 6000 years old has fallen quite a bit, with more people accepting evolution as God's means of creation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies