U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM
 
29,815 posts, read 15,221,531 times
Reputation: 15589

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Really? Been to a public school lately? Pretty soon girls who are girls and boys who are boys won't be allowed to attend.

But if you identify as a can of ginger ale that can tap dance lesbian dance theory while being addressed as mister-sister wonky butt ... you'll get a participation trophy in lieu of a diploma.

Oh wait. I think lesbians aren't allowed anymore. They've jumped the shark and aren't cool enough.
In case anyone doubted that the push for creationism is anything but pushback from conservatives who are scared stiff that the world is changing...

 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Out West
20,653 posts, read 15,445,833 times
Reputation: 24200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Arizona science curriculum to be reviewed by a guy who thinks there were dinosaurs on Noah's Ark.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/opini...sm/1291933002/

I know, I know - if we call the dumb hicks out for being dumb hicks, they get pouty and stubborn and double down on the dumb-hickery just to teach us a lesson.

But in the name of all that's holy and unholy, Arizona, could you try to not embrace the stereotype? I've been to Phoenix, you have what looks like a fairly advanced civilization, what is with this?
You do realize that there are a lot of Dems who are religious and believe in Creationism, right? You're calling people from your own party "dumb hicks". Great job.
 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:17 PM
 
29,815 posts, read 15,221,531 times
Reputation: 15589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You do realize that there are a lot of Dems who are religious and believe in Creationism, right? You're calling people from your own party "dumb hicks". Great job.
I'm a Democrat now? Comes as a bit of a surprise. And yes, plenty of Democrats are dumb hicks, but it's pretty damn rare to hear of a Democrat politician arguing in favor of creationism being taught in science class.
 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:20 PM
 
Location: STL area
730 posts, read 356,570 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You do realize that there are a lot of Dems who are religious and believe in Creationism, right? You're calling people from your own party "dumb hicks". Great job.
Not many. Creationism is mostly the belief of evangelicals who tend to be republican. A lot of christians believe in evolution. A LOT. I don't know about long ago, but I'm in my 40s, went to Catholic schools. I have a degree in Cell and Molecular biology from a Jesuit institution. I was taught evolution my whole life. Just with the added "God Led" Evolution.

Personally, believe what you want about Creation. Have at it. But it's not science so keep it out of science classes unless you are in a private evangelical school. I'd be OK if it was taught in a class on cultural or religious studies. But it doesn't fit the definition of science. It shouldn't even be mentioned in science class (in a public school).
 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:54 PM
Status: "Praise Be" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Trumpville
7,258 posts, read 3,286,477 times
Reputation: 6305
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Not many. Creationism is mostly the belief of evangelicals who tend to be republican. A lot of christians believe in evolution. A LOT. I don't know about long ago, but I'm in my 40s, went to Catholic schools. I have a degree in Cell and Molecular biology from a Jesuit institution. I was taught evolution my whole life. Just with the added "God Led" Evolution.

Personally, believe what you want about Creation. Have at it. But it's not science so keep it out of science classes unless you are in a private evangelical school. I'd be OK if it was taught in a class on cultural or religious studies. But it doesn't fit the definition of science. It shouldn't even be mentioned in science class (in a public school).
This.

Creationism is almost exclusively an evangelical/fundamentalist belief and creationism in public school science classrooms is almost exclusively a Republican policy.
 
Old 09-17-2018, 09:43 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 328,445 times
Reputation: 1047
Even if I was an Evolutionist, I would believe a Creationist over a Flat-Earth person, even if that Flat-Earth person was a Creationist.
 
Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 PM
Status: "Praise Be" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Trumpville
7,258 posts, read 3,286,477 times
Reputation: 6305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Even if I was an Evolutionist, I would believe a Creationist over a Flat-Earth person, even if that Flat-Earth person was a Creationist.
They aren't really that different. If you can believe all of modern science is one big conspiracy to suppress the truth that the earth is 6,000 years old and we are all descendant from one family that got off a boat 4400 years ago with two of every species, it's not far fetched to believe they are also suppressing the truth that the earth is flat.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
16,431 posts, read 9,284,576 times
Reputation: 6173
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Dinosaurs were probably not on the Ark but there is no proof contrary either. Does anyone know how long ago the great flood happened? Keeping an open mind is a good thing but teaching it in school isn't the place to impress that it is an undeniable truth.

Teaching that would be right up there with the Theory of Evolution, the theory that students are taught not as a theory but as a truth that they are descended from apes. The theory has led to scientific breakthroughs in genetics but there is still the missing link. So we are 98% similar to apes but no one talks about being 97% similar to frogs.
It never did, as described in scriptures. There was no ark. It's a fairy tale (theory) until there is empirical (scientific) evidence of its existence. I can show you thousands of books full of people, creatures, places, and events that never happened. I can show you historical fiction that is set in real places. "Gone With The Wind" took place in Georgia. Atlanta is a real place that really did get burned by a real Yankee army. Tara, however, was almost entirely fabrication, outside the fact that some people built really large houses with high ceilings and columns on the front, some examples of which are still observable today.

Show me an ark, or evidence thereof, and I will believe there was an ark. Until then, there was no ark. There is merely the belief of a subset of the human race that wants it to be true, and that sort of unsupportable nonsense should not be taught in school except in comparitive religion classes, and then as theory and not fact.

Last edited by cuebald; 09-18-2018 at 06:16 AM..
 
Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
16,431 posts, read 9,284,576 times
Reputation: 6173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In case anyone doubted that the push for creationism is anything but pushback from conservatives who are scared stiff that the world is changing...
There do seem to be a few sterling examples extant.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
16,431 posts, read 9,284,576 times
Reputation: 6173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
They aren't really that different. If you can believe all of modern science is one big conspiracy to suppress the truth that the earth is 6,000 years old and we are all descendant from one family that got off a boat 4400 years ago with two of every species, it's not far fetched to believe they are also suppressing the truth that the earth is flat.
I was meaning to ask about that. Since the Noah family was the only one who survived, that must mean all modern people of all races are the products of incest and inbreeding, and bastards to boot.

This is a more compelling theory than that we all came from Adam and Eve, since we know Cain went east of Eden and took a wife who bore a son, Enoch, and that the residents of the Land of Nod are not mentioned further. At least that would have meant we came from members of two different gene pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top