U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-18-2018, 11:56 AM
 
7,664 posts, read 3,836,474 times
Reputation: 4432

Advertisements

Read the Bible all the way through, twice. Did not believe any of it. I have studied many different religions, I have always been fascinated with them. Not one Christian religion actually follows the Bible. They have all corrupted it to suit themselves.

 
Old 09-18-2018, 11:59 AM
 
29,805 posts, read 15,203,274 times
Reputation: 15583
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
One way we know that Jews are not exaggerating the Hanukkah story. Think about it - it's very possible that a candle or lamp would "run on fumes" for a couple days. So it's not like the claim that I pulled a woman out of my rib....it's just a "hey, we had some good luck' type of story.
That's every Jewish holiday in a nutshell, isn't it? "They tried to kill us, we're still here, now let's eat."
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
16,422 posts, read 9,273,444 times
Reputation: 6170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's every Jewish holiday in a nutshell, isn't it? "They tried to kill us, we're still here, now let's eat."
How could a religion possibly be built on any better premise than that? I dated a Jewish girl for a while in college. "Eat" is a core belief of their faith, and they practice it devoutly.

Beth's mother was a standard bearer. Bagels and lox rotated with herring and sour cream as sacraments, with plenty of Manischewitz to make it go down easily.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM
 
29,805 posts, read 15,203,274 times
Reputation: 15583
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
How could a religion possibly be built on any better premise than that?
Trying to come up with something witty, but.. You got me there.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:11 PM
 
1,784 posts, read 681,952 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Yes, because evil cannot dwell with God because God is good. Therefore, hell fire is your habitation since you loved evil.
So if I use the brain that God has given me, and all the tools of science that God has made possible, and using these I determine that the story of Noah's Ark couldn't possibly be true, but is most likely a fictitious story told to teach a lesson (like Jesus did with parables)................then I am evil and deserve hell fire?
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM
 
15,057 posts, read 4,905,954 times
Reputation: 10674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
So if I use the brain that God has given me, and all the tools of science that God has made possible, and using these I determine that the story of Noah's Ark couldn't possibly be true, but is most likely a fictitious story told to teach a lesson (like Jesus did with parables)................then I am evil and deserve hell fire?
Pretty much.

But...if you believe that grabbing women by the genitals is fine, and lying on a daily basis and cheating people is part of God's plan, and that Nazis who run people over in the streets are "very fine people," you get the express elevator right to heaven. The Evangelists tell us so, so it must be true.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:54 PM
 
1,784 posts, read 681,952 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Dinosaurs were probably not on the Ark but there is no proof contrary either. .......... So we are 98% similar to apes but no one talks about being 97% similar to frogs.
Noah probably didn't use Google Maps to navigate his Ark, but there is no proof contrary either.

We are not 97% similar to frogs. i couldn't find a source for frogs, but did find that we are 85% genetically to mice and 60% to insects. All of which are actually supporting evidence for evolution.

Kind of neat, actually, that Darwin derived his theory without knowledge of genetics or molecular biology, but as these sciences developed they provided evidence that corroborated the theory of evolution.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Ohio
4,072 posts, read 1,463,584 times
Reputation: 3208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Read the Bible all the way through, twice. Did not believe any of it. I have studied many different religions, I have always been fascinated with them. Not one Christian religion actually follows the Bible. They have all corrupted it to suit themselves.
Confusing post. First you say you don't believe any of it then you say you are worried about someone "corrupting" it.

To be taken literally, it is useless, if not dangerous - as is the literal translation of many books. To say it is value-less is an extreme point of view as well.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:56 PM
 
Location: North America
18,293 posts, read 11,608,169 times
Reputation: 7579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Arizona science curriculum to be reviewed by a guy who thinks there were dinosaurs on Noah's Ark.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/opini...sm/1291933002/

I know, I know - if we call the dumb hicks out for being dumb hicks, they get pouty and stubborn and double down on the dumb-hickery just to teach us a lesson.

But in the name of all that's holy and unholy, Arizona, could you try to not embrace the stereotype? I've been to Phoenix, you have what looks like a fairly advanced civilization, what is with this?
If there were dinos on the ark, where'd they go?

I'd like to keep a raptor for a pet, it would make one hell of a guard dog.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Frisco, Texas
153 posts, read 57,652 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, neither are you especially something in the universe. I see no compelling reason at all why anyone should pay attention to your beliefs.

However, just as astrology doesnít belong in an astronomy course and alchemy doesnít belong in a chemistry course, except as historical footnotes, neither does creationism belong in a biology course. Of course, by the same token, no one thinks a biology prof has any authority to control your churchís Sunday school curriculum.

Also, please explain by what means you know whether a total stranger is a degenerate. And donít say that a non-creationist (quite a few christians are non-creationists, BTW) is degenerate by definition. Because that would be painting a broad picture of how people of different beliefs than you live their personal lives. And Jesus said something pertinent about that at least once.
I suppose it's the same way he/she assumes all people of faith are "hicks" (at least in the U.S). I doubt they meant it an endearing way.


There's no easy way to answer your question but since you asked, based on my moral beliefs dictated by my faith, we are all degenerates by nature; I'm no better than anyone else. Only our faith in a spiritual being guiding our life gives believers a light (if you will) that God sees because of our belief in Jesus Christ. This light or spirit in us is the purity He sees because of our belief in HIM, not our degenerate body. Therefore, the only broad picture that can be painted about all people, is that we are all degenerates in one way or another, spiritually dead to God and our bodies are destined to nothing else but death.


Therefore, my comment on the OP being a degenerate would be based on that and the fact they have no problem insulting believers and openly stating his/her opinion that believers, creationist or whatever you want ever you want to call it are "dumb" hicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top