U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:37 PM
 
30,920 posts, read 15,861,658 times
Reputation: 16340

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
As a Christ-follower I believe every single thing in the Bible, and any other true Christ-follower would as well...
The it sounds like you'll need to compare notes with a lot of other people who also claim to follow Christ. I'm not getting in the middle of that.

 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:39 PM
 
466 posts, read 87,429 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The it sounds like you'll need to compare notes with a lot of other people who also claim to follow Christ. I'm not getting in the middle of that.
Oh, I was under the impression that by creating this thread and insulting billions of people that you were getting in the middle of it, my bad dawg
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:44 PM
 
30,920 posts, read 15,861,658 times
Reputation: 16340
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Oh, I was under the impression that by creating this thread and insulting billions of people that you were getting in the middle of it, my bad dawg
Just the subset that A: believes that Noah's ARk is literal truth and B: thinks their specific mythology should be taught in public school. Billions of Christians are quite on board (hah!) with the idea that Noah etc. is a creation myth, an allegory not to be taken literally.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Trumpville
7,753 posts, read 3,585,437 times
Reputation: 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Just the subset that A: believes that Noah's ARk is literal truth and B: thinks their specific mythology should be taught in public school. Billions of Christians are quite on board (hah!) with the idea that Noah etc. is a creation myth, an allegory not to be taken literally.
And it's only B that is really a problem. Yet it's B that the Republican Party is advocating for.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 PM
 
466 posts, read 87,429 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Just the subset that A: believes that Noah's ARk is literal truth and B: thinks their specific mythology should be taught in public school. Billions of Christians are quite on board (hah!) with the idea that Noah etc. is a creation myth, an allegory not to be taken literally.
Where are these billions of Christians who don't believe that Genesis is truth? I can't find any at the local megachurches
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Ohio
4,501 posts, read 1,619,571 times
Reputation: 3577
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
As a Christ-follower I believe every single thing in the Bible, and any other true Christ-follower would as well

Were there dinosaurs? I don't know, Scripture doesn't specify

How old is the earth? I don't know, Scripture doesn't specify
We could waste endless hours debating this. Honestly most people don't care what you believe as long as you leave them alone and don't try to form a government to institute your religious beliefs on others.

But this is the first time I've encountered the argument that you can't decide about something because the Scripture doesn't specify. It also does not specify that you need to keep breathing in order to live or a billion other things; but most of us use the intelligence we were born with to make such decisions.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
17,136 posts, read 9,667,959 times
Reputation: 6563
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
If there were dinos on the ark, where'd they go?

I'd like to keep a raptor for a pet, it would make one hell of a guard dog.
I have it on good authority that they were not on the ark. Adam and Eve killed them all by overfeeding them on apples because they refused to evolve.

I saw it in a book. it must, therefore, be absolute truth.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Trumpville
7,753 posts, read 3,585,437 times
Reputation: 6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have it on good authority that they were not on the ark. Adam and Eve killed them all by overfeeding them on apples because they refused to evolve.

I saw it in a book. it must, therefore, be absolute truth.
And we must have laws that force people to believe in that book and we must have zero tolerance for anybody who objects.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
7,888 posts, read 3,910,096 times
Reputation: 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have it on good authority that they were not on the ark. Adam and Eve killed them all by overfeeding them on apples because they refused to evolve.

I saw it in a book. it must, therefore, be absolute truth.
Some of them were run over by Fred and Barney in their foot powered cars.
 
Old 09-18-2018, 02:51 PM
 
15,299 posts, read 5,392,334 times
Reputation: 11414
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
We could waste endless hours debating this. Honestly most people don't care what you believe as long as you leave them alone and don't try to form a government to institute your religious beliefs on others.

But this is the first time I've encountered the argument that you can't decide about something because the Scripture doesn't specify. It also does not specify that you need to keep breathing in order to live or a billion other things; but most of us use the intelligence we were born with to make such decisions.
Therein lies the problem. You are arguing with someone who believes that a 600 year old man built an enormous boat and collected two of every single living being on the planet is the absolute, literal truth. And you expect to have some kind of intellectual discussion with him? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top