U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 03:18 PM

16,179 posts, read 7,095,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and that will be up to the population at large, as it should be, to decide.
Hmmm. So you think that, for instance, Einstein’s theory of relativity is taught in universities today because a popular vote was taken? When did that happen?

Old 09-15-2018, 03:21 PM

7,681 posts, read 3,840,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Not to mention The Golden Rule. Immanuel Kant suggested that if the Golden Rule spoken by Jesus is taken at face value (and we're taught that as kids), then that means a judge shouldn't punish a criminal clearly guilty beyond reasonable doubt, on the basis that the judge wouldn't want to go to jail were he on trial. Therefore the judge shouldn't send the criminal to jail. (Or in a less extreme case, you shouldn't make others pay back money you loaned to them, on the grounds that you wouldn't want to pay back money if someone insisted you come up with it. Therefore, you shouldn't insist others pay back debts owed to you.

Turn the other cheek? In that case, America sinned when it went after the Tailban after 9/11, and also when it declared war on Japan after Pearl Harbor.

Plus the verses that seem to promote the Divine Right of Kings.

This is precisely where strict Biblical Literalism takes you.
Don't forget the total control of women.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:42 PM

9,999 posts, read 4,220,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Abrahamic religions are all pretty bad with this, unfortunately.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:48 PM

7,152 posts, read 1,645,022 times
Quote:
The Bible should be in the "fiction" section at book stores.
I agree. Much of it is tales, short stories.

Better still, all holy writings of whatever tradition should be separated from both non-fiction and fiction, a third general type, perhaps together with philosophy.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:50 PM

7,681 posts, read 3,840,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I agree. Much of it is tales, short stories.

Better still, all holy writings of whatever tradition should be separated from both non-fiction and fiction, a third general type, perhaps together with philosophy.
And political speeches.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Status: "Yes, words DO inflame or inspire others." (set 1 day ago)

2,929 posts, read 1,742,100 times
Quote:
Yep - as in Leave it to Beaver at best, The Handmaiden's Tale at worst.

One more thing - democracy or representative republics themselves. The Constitution takes decision-making power out of the hands of God and puts it in the hands of "man" (to use bibilcal parlance). That alone would qualify the US Constitution as a wicked, sinful, rebellious document. Even worse is that most (if not all) the Founding Fathers were deists - the closest thing in that day and age to atheists.

Deism is not quite atheism, more like "Yeah, there could be a conscious, self-aware, supernatural creator of this universe who exists outside space-time. If there is one (or more), then it certainly doesn't involve itself in the affairs of humans, and probably not the universe either for that matter".

Old 09-15-2018, 04:02 PM

18,107 posts, read 16,448,492 times
Two sides of the same crazy coin. "God is punishing the country with a hurricane" and "Global warming caused the hurricane."

Old 09-15-2018, 04:19 PM
Status: "Yes, words DO inflame or inspire others." (set 1 day ago)

2,929 posts, read 1,742,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Two sides of the same crazy coin. "God is punishing the country with a hurricane" and "Global warming caused the hurricane."
Global warming didn't cause Florence, scientists say, but it's making hurricanes more intense - Chicago Tribune

It is making hurricanes more intense though. Definitely not hard to believe, given that hot ocean water is the fuel for hurricanes.

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-climat...alifornia.html

Climate change will bring more extremes to inland Southern California.

Not to mention species all over the world migrating further away from the equator and mountain top species becoming extinct. The evidence is in. I see it myself. In North Louisiana, where I grew up, they've had only two significant snowfalls (meaning 'shut school down') since I moved out here in 2002, when during the 20th Century they got such snowfalls once every three to four years.

So seriously, who benefits from perpetuating this "no human activity caused global warming" garbage? Seriously, who benefits from it?

Also, how do carbon caps hurt you or anybody else?

Old 09-15-2018, 04:26 PM

29,112 posts, read 18,380,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Arizona science curriculum to be reviewed by a guy who thinks there were dinosaurs on Noah's Ark.

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/opini...sm/1291933002/

I know, I know - if we call the dumb hicks out for being dumb hicks, they get pouty and stubborn and double down on the dumb-hickery just to teach us a lesson.

But in the name of all that's holy and unholy, Arizona, could you try to not embrace the stereotype? I've been to Phoenix, you have what looks like a fairly advanced civilization, what is with this?
I have a great science experiment for those creationists who believe in Noah's ark and want to influence science curriculum! Build an ark according to specifications listed in Genesis chapter 6: three decks with no ventilation, the only window about 18 inches wide on the top deck, fill all decks with animals and enough potable water for all for an entire year. Have that creationist live on the ark for one year, feeding and providing fresh water for all animals and cleaning up after all the dung.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:20 PM

16,179 posts, read 7,095,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I have a great science experiment for those creationists who believe in Noah's ark and want to influence science curriculum! Build an ark according to specifications listed in Genesis chapter 6: three decks with no ventilation, the only window about 18 inches wide on the top deck, fill all decks with animals and enough potable water for all for an entire year. Have that creationist live on the ark for one year, feeding and providing fresh water for all animals and cleaning up after all the dung.
Gee, I wonder why they haven’t done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.