U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 AM

60,155 posts, read 30,614,837 times

Advertisements

Public assistance has promoted single motherhood. and the ruin of civility in society, with ignorant children, raising children.
Enforcing the word NO, is dads job. Without dad, you get what we see today. No respect.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:40 AM

20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, along with other people they spread it to. Keep in mind (for the nth time) "welfare" does not mean the same thing in Australia. This is people of various income levels who get child care deductions.

A sampling:
Boy, 15, diagnosed with meningococcal disease, in ninth case in Tasmania in two months - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
From a week ago today: Whooping cough cases spike in Tasmania, with at-risk urged to get vaccinated - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
"There have been almost 100 cases reported in Tasmania this year, up from 40 last year and 30 and 31 in 2016 and 2015 respectively."
https://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.a...coast/3513073/
"LOCAL health authorities are again asking people to watch for symptoms of measles with four cases now confirmed in the Coffs Harbour to Woolgoolga area. ...A further suspected case in an infant is being investigated. The cases occurred after two unvaccinated school-aged children returned from an overseas holiday with the disease and infected two classmates. ... Three of the four primary school-aged children are unvaccinated."
I am assuming the OP was speaking of welfare recipients in the US not Australia when he posed the question.
So let me rephrase, has there been and epidemic of childhood diseases recently in the USA among those families receiving welfare benefits?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:34 AM

84,976 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Stop all welfare payments? That won't "punish" the middle class, and certainly not the rich, but only the very poor population in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We pay for their bad choices?
You should pay for my bad choices, first.

No, there are no strings attached.... You have been purchased and told what to do, once on public assistance.

Is their any alimony in the divorce?
Quote:
Public assistance has promoted single motherhood. and the ruin of civility in society, with ignorant children, raising children.
Enforcing the word NO, is dads job. Without dad, you get what we see today. No respect.
For crying out loud! How many times does it need to be said-this is about Australia where the term "welfare" does not mean what it does in the US! 10? 100? 1000? 1,000,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I am assuming the OP was speaking of welfare recipients in the US not Australia when he posed the question.
So let me rephrase, has there been and epidemic of childhood diseases recently in the USA among those families receiving welfare benefits?
Well, you should read the OP. Here it is:

Quote:
(Obviously anybody who truly cannot get vaccines for doctor-verified health reasons would be exempt)

Before anyone suggests it, assume that welfare won't be entirely eliminated from everyone (realistically it won't).

But in Australia, families who don't vaccinate don't get welfare benefits. Miraculously, there was a surge of families who apparently decided that vaccines don't cause autism after all!

Would the same thing be effective in the US? Or alternatively, not allowing them to use the child tax credit.

In a perfect world, there would be non-government strategies to deal with this, but we live in a government world (and that won't change anytime soon), so non-government solutions wouldn't likely work.
We haven't had any recent epidemics in the US that I'm aware of. However, since this thread is not about the US, and no such plans are in the works in the US, your question is totally irrelevant.

I would presume that the pertussis epidemics in California and the measles outbreak last year in MN had numbers of patients on welfare in proportion to their rate in the population.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 AM

33,064 posts, read 26,880,121 times
Quote:
This may be one of the most misogynistic posts I've ever read on here, and I mod the Relationships forum, man.

You think a mother cannot enforce the word "No?"

You must not know very many good mothers.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 AM

21,438 posts, read 18,150,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Did you just contradict yourself?
No, I got the normal strength one.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:41 AM

33,064 posts, read 26,880,121 times
I'd support requiring EVERYONE to get basic vaccines. I think the standard, childhood series should be required. And, I don't think there should be religious exemptions. Religions decide stuff based on interpretations of ancient texts that existed before stuff like vaccines.

None of it is based on actual health science.

That said, I would not support mandatory requirement of vaccines for stuff like HPV. That's not something you contract just by being out in public around other humans. But, infectious diseases spread by things like coughing and contact while you're still wearing your clothing? Sure.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:06 AM

84,976 posts, read 98,814,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'd support requiring EVERYONE to get basic vaccines. I think the standard, childhood series should be required. And, I don't think there should be religious exemptions. Religions decide stuff based on interpretations of ancient texts that existed before stuff like vaccines.

None of it is based on actual health science.

That said, I would not support mandatory requirement of vaccines for stuff like HPV. That's not something you contract just by being out in public around other humans. But, infectious diseases spread by things like coughing and contact while you're still wearing your clothing? Sure.
At least 90% of men and 80% of women contract an HPV infection in their lives. With the decline in smoking, HPV is the leading cause of head and neck cancer. Even with Pap smears (which are NOT, despite what many people think, a preventive) there are about 12,000 cases of cervical cancer diagnosed in the US and about 4000 deaths.
https://report.nih.gov/nihfactsheets...t.aspx?csid=76

Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 AM

21,438 posts, read 18,150,188 times
https://20somethingfinance.com/where...ree-flu-shots/

Forget Oz, this is the American forum.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:56 AM

4,788 posts, read 1,545,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
At least 90% of men and 80% of women contract an HPV infection in their lives. With the decline in smoking, HPV is the leading cause of head and neck cancer. Even with Pap smears (which are NOT, despite what many people think, a preventive) there are about 12,000 cases of cervical cancer diagnosed in the US and about 4000 deaths.
https://report.nih.gov/nihfactsheets...t.aspx?csid=76
And >90% of those cases resolve on its own. With no intervention. HPV is harmless for the VAST MAJORITY of the population.

Let's crunch some numbers:

80% of women get HPV
0.000026% die of cervical cancer

The risk of adverse effects from the vaccine OUTWEIGHS the benefit of the vaccine.

And that's the numbers talking. Not religion or whatever other nonsense people blame crap on when they don't take the time to look at the facts.

If a women gets a pap smear every year, there is no need for the vaccine.
If a women is in a monagmous healthy relationship, there is no need for the vaccine.
Or have a basic understanding that HPV usually always clears on its own. No intervention necessary.

In other words: Take responsibility for yourself. Make those decisions for yourself. Understand all the variables around the vaccine

But hey, if you don't want to take responsibility for yourself and instead place all your money on the vaccine? GO FOR IT. Get 2 or 3 or 4 ... right. That's your decision. Don't make decisions for everyone else.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:01 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,693,805 times
Quote:

Public assistance has helped 10's of thousands maybe even 100's of thousands women leave abusive husbands or boy friends. Before women just had to put up with their abuser.

That change alone is worth the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or