U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 07:56 AM

6,358 posts, read 1,756,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not entirely true. There are plenty of primitive societies in which labor exists but there is little to no capital.
Production capacity and the value to which capital is ascertained with are to very different concepts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 08:01 AM

62,563 posts, read 27,822,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Production capacity and the value to which capital is ascertained with are to very different concepts.
I agree, which is why I specifically stated that labor's value exists without capital in primitive societies.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:01 AM

19,454 posts, read 13,200,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
A different reporter's account can be seen here beginning at 2:20. Looters threatened to kill the reporter and fired a shot as he left. Police had said they would not go to the scene since store management didn't want to press charges against anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXhA_EgCtHU
A couple of things go thru my mind here. They steal from the store owner, and he asks the police not to prosecute? Is this because he has fear of retribution? Or does he think the insurance company will reimburse him? Or is it a little of both?

I believe that for the insurance coverage to work for looters, the owner has to show proof he did all he could to prevent looters. Would not calling the police to stop them, once he found out, invalidate his insurance?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I agree, which is why I specifically stated that labor's value exists without capital in primitive societies.
And what exactly does that say about an industrial country like the US?

Not much I believe, except that it has built external laws to make the value of labor dependent on the capital control of the distributor.

In such a scenario where the capital good is the qualification by which our country acknowledges wealth. Therefore theft, when the opportunity arises, is seen as reasonable to those who are brought up to think that the only way to gain freedom is to gain capital.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 AM

2,990 posts, read 501,325 times
Quote:
But why do these people think like that?

Perhaps itís because capitalism taught them that material goods have permanent attached value and meant for the sole usage of those who own the capital.
Maybe they need to get off their lazy a*ses and work for what they want and use their brains to accomplish what those who have become financially successful have accomplished.

The leftist government taught them that what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine. It kills any sense of responsibility or consciousness of wrongdoing in taking others' property.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Maybe they need to get off their lazy a*ses and work for what they want and use their brains to accomplish what those who have become financially successful have accomplished.

The leftist government taught them that what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine. It kills any sense of responsibility or consciousness of wrongdoing in taking others' property.
Work without capital is useless. And being as value is only placed on goods as they are profitable, the function of such goods are overshadowed by their external worth leading people to value the ascertation over the production of such goods.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 AM

2,990 posts, read 501,325 times
Quote:
Work without capital is useless. And being as value is only placed on goods as they are profitable, the function of such goods are overshadowed by their external worth leading people to value the ascertation over the production of such goods.
Money is only paper until it is traded for something.
Goods are bought and paid for by the money that hard working entrepreneurs have invested.

If you don't work, you don't eat. If you rob, steal, live off the government, you eat what you are allowed to from your limited stolen stash or what they(government) tells you you can have.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:58 AM

6,309 posts, read 1,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
$ stores sell beer and cigs?
Yes.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 AM

6,309 posts, read 1,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Looting used to be a shoot to kill offense. Nothing worse than lowlifes preying on the misfortunes of others.
Killing people over looting?!!! Geez!

I noticed in the video, the store is next to residential houses, I would bet none of those houses were looted.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:14 AM

2,556 posts, read 1,629,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Covering stories of poor people from the projects stealing and cheating = good = "quality journalism"

Covering stories about the POTUS lying and Cheating = bad = "fake news"

Now I understand. Thanks
Well, it took long enough. Welcome to the light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies