Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 10:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times

Advertisements

I've never seen anything like this. The reporter actually chases after people in the process of looting a Family Dollar store and confronts them. Many are wearing masks or have hidden their faces behind clothing.

"Hey guys, you know you're looting right? You know you're stealing."

The scene begins five minutes into the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbDS6qgDNSU&t=519s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 11:07 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Never put your business near a public housing complex.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:26 PM

A different reporter's account can be seen here beginning at 2:20. Looters threatened to kill the reporter and fired a shot as he left. Police had said they would not go to the scene since store management didn't want to press charges against anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXhA_EgCtHU

Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
This story is crazy as hell.

ABC News updated details about an hour ago which you can read below:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-arr...ry?id=57855279

Basically sporadic looting broke out in Wilmington, perhaps in other places, where police had already planned on arresting the violators by making space in the local jail.

The Family Dollar was looted first (OP's video), the franchise owner asked police not to arrest folks at the scene, cops complied but at the same told the public via social media of the owner's wishes.

About a mile down the road looting broke out at a Dollar General. Cops arrested, and announced it via social media, those looters.

The police chief then talked to the Family Dollar owner and convinced him to allow cops to arrest those looting his store. He then complied. The chief then notified the public that they will be looking to press charges against the looters of the Family Dollar.

I'm assuming by this time the looting at the FD had ended and that the cops are going to have to rely on the news report in OP's post to identify the perps.

I have no clue what the franchise owner of the FD was originally thinking by asking police to stand down. No insurance company is going to pay out a claim when you're on record asking cops to ignore the looting.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I have no clue what the franchise owner of the FD was originally thinking by asking police to stand down. No insurance company is going to pay out a claim when you're on record asking cops to ignore the looting.
Good point. I wonder if the owners had considered that but were so afraid of antagonizing the neighborhood they still didn't want the police involved.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:36 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
I hope the insurance company refuses to cover the damages.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:38 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Almost identical story from the LA riots.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Good point. I wonder if the owners had considered that but were so afraid of antagonizing the neighborhood they still didn't want the police involved.
It's bizarre.

If you follow the timeline I think once the cops announced via Twitter that the looting at the FD was known but being ignored at the behest of the owner it really opened up a can of worms for...well...everyone.

1. The public had a right to know. If you call the cops after witnessing looting and nothing happens you're going to be a little perturbed...to say the least. Plus, safety for the public as driving through that area would be unwise. Police had to announce it via social media.

2. Other local store owners who didn't want to follow that course of action probably exploded upon hearing via Twitter that the FD specifically asked the police not to step in and make arrests. Once the looting at one store went unchecked they probably feared their business could/would be next.

3. To your point I can only speculate that the owner perhaps thought the police were not going to announce the request thus he would be able to collect on the insurance claim without upsetting the local residents who looted his store.

Whatever the case, what an insane series of events.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:01 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Real over achievers right there.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I hope the insurance company refuses to cover the damages.
I don't think they'll pay on the claim if it's filed.

I've been in loss prevention in some form most of my life, now as a consultant, and generally speaking if actions of the insured party are committed with the intent to cause a “loss” it voids the claim.

Obviously this is put in place to combat fraud, arson, etc. by the owner to incur a loss for a claim payout. I would have to think telling emergency services to specifically ignore a looting incident would fall under this section though.

Having said that I've never come across something as crazy as this in all my life so I wouldn't say I'm 100% on it. Sounds like a field day for lawyers due to the bizarre nature of the entire thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies