U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:11 AM

21,395 posts, read 10,660,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Like welfare, get rid of disability. Unless it’s through a employer. But socialized disability? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,597,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Regardless of which way they vote, when a third of those who live in rural counties are on long-term Disability benefits something is amiss.

Surely, not all of them can be so disabled that they are unable to pursue meaningful, gainful employment.
Surely, because you know and have investigated every case, right?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:30 AM

11,366 posts, read 7,408,144 times
Quote:
Across large swaths of the country, disability has become a force that has reshaped scores of mostly white, almost exclusively rural communities, where as many as one-third of working-age adults live on monthly disability checks, according to a Washington Post analysis of Social Security Administration statistics.
Little bit of twisting going on here.
Mostly white communities. "As many as" one third.
But where was it found that the white people drawing SSDI outnumber all others? It wasn't. That was a conclusion reached by the OP when he said "Seems the rural white Americans are the majority".

He continues with his mistake when he says this:
We do know that southern states and those without education have higher rates of SSDI. Black people have a significantly lower education level than whites. Southern black people are least educated of all.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:34 AM

11,920 posts, read 6,567,285 times
OP, did you forget about the 30 page thread on this from a year and a half ago when this story came out on Wapo?

Disability..The New Rural Income...

You even posted in it multiple times.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47693740-post62.html

DS

Old 09-16-2018, 09:35 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Most people are white. Why wouldn't there be more on it. We'd have a bigger problem if they weren't.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:37 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,580,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Oh, so now all white people are on the right?

I guess more nonsense is that it's mostly only white conservatives collecting disability also? Funny, how those who spout this nonsense don't give a hoot about the over $100 billion a year that illegal immigration costs us.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:48 AM

14,371 posts, read 16,288,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Corporate Welfare is just as bad of a scam and nobody seems to care about that. We are giving money to big Oil and commercial farmers. Just to name a few. For what? Believe me it’s a lot more money than giving people welfare.

Many billions per year for big oil, big sugar and farmers. Farmers were getting billions per year even before Trump created the new subsidies to farmers due to tariffs. Republicans strongly support farm subsidies. This is one of the reasons the rural areas vote Republican. They want their rural welfare.

Sugar alone costs US taxpayers $3.5 billion/year and overall farm subsidies are $20 billion each and every year. Big oil gets $30 billion each year from the federal government.

https://www.bullsugar.org/sugar_subsidies

The current sugar program, directed by the United State Department of Agriculture cost Americans up to 3.5 billion dollars per year.
https://www.downsizinggovernment.org...ture/subsidies
The federal government spends more than $20 billion a year on subsidies for farm businesses. About 39 percent of the nation's 2.1 million farms receive subsidies, with the lion's share of the handouts going to the largest producers

Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 AM

2,305 posts, read 1,677,829 times
In my experience, and I live in a rural area of a southern state, I know a few on disability. Both are well educated and one is as far left as anyone I've ever met while the other is pretty far on the right. By the way I've spotted the lefty doing very physical activities which would bring into question why he was able to collect disability.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:29 AM

13,035 posts, read 7,199,948 times
I have a friend that is very ill with Leukemia and was fired from his job and is on disability. The poor guy can barely walk and is inches away from a bone marrow transplant. He voted for Trump. Do I want his disability taken away? Heck no. He deserves it and desperately needs it. What I have a problem with is able bodied people scamming the system. There has to be a better way to vet people and the fines should include a stiff jail sentence for people scamming the system.

I was talking to someone at work a few years back and her sister worked for the disability side of social security. The person I was talking to had a friend that scammed the system and her sister filled out the paper work for her. She told me how bad she felt for asking her sister to help because she could be fired for doing so. Where are the checks and balances?

I don't think the problem is the disability itself, it's the way it's not vetted properly. The fines and jail time for these scam attorneys should be stiff enough to act as a deterrent as well.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:50 AM

5,189 posts, read 3,748,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Many billions per year for big oil, big sugar and farmers. Farmers were getting billions per year even before Trump created the new subsidies to farmers due to tariffs. Republicans strongly support farm subsidies. This is one of the reasons the rural areas vote Republican. They want their rural welfare.

Sugar alone costs US taxpayers $3.5 billion/year and overall farm subsidies are $20 billion each and every year. Big oil gets $30 billion each year from the federal government.

https://www.bullsugar.org/sugar_subsidies

The current sugar program, directed by the United State Department of Agriculture cost Americans up to 3.5 billion dollars per year.
https://www.downsizinggovernment.org...ture/subsidies
The federal government spends more than $20 billion a year on subsidies for farm businesses. About 39 percent of the nation's 2.1 million farms receive subsidies, with the lion's share of the handouts going to the largest producers
Yep. So let's get rid of that too.

Issue is that the groceries in your cart cost you less at the checkout than the actual price to produce (because of that Corp welfare). Same applies to gas prices they're reduced pump prices because of the Corp welfare.

Hey I'm all for a 5-10% tax cut to eliminate Corp welfare, but then I'm not going to suffer with a 5-10% hike in gas and food prices, it would be a net win for me, it's around $40 a month increase in expense for around $1000 a month less tax (assuming 10% increase/decrease). Further based on my ideology anything that reduces government size and clout, and lowers tax demands is a good thing.

Unfortunately the people who'd get smashed for removing corporate welfare in the main are folks likely to suffer the most by its elimination. Those with lower incomes whose use of gas and food is probably higher than me (seeing as I've got no kids and can work from home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies