U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Keep working 52 54.17%
Work less hours 11 11.46%
Quit working 17 17.71%
I don't work anyways 16 16.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
3,537 posts, read 2,697,977 times
Reputation: 2305

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The thing is, the brain-dead leeches that promote socialism always pass paying for it off on someone else. Those that will still work, will still produce. When people decide they are tired of being slaves to those that produce nothing and only take, socialism falls apart.

Do those brain dead leeches include Trump et al and the Republican party ? He just gave the wealthy 2 trillion dollars in tax cuts with out any way to fund it.


Why should only the wealthy get socialism ?


Are you surprised that middle class and poor people would want socialism too ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
3,537 posts, read 2,697,977 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nothing. Just like everyone else would. Until nothing got done and society tanked. Then I would likely starve to death as everyone else would. If there is no incentive to work, there will be no work.

Now, that is unless you are a hunter gatherer in the back country hills somewhere. Your growling stomach would be incentive to get up off your buns and pick some berries. But for the rest of us, what to do? None of us know how to do much of anything besides what we have specialized training to do. And what's the point of doing what we are trained to do if we can sit on our asses and be paid to do nothing?



1,000 dollars a month isn't enough to live any where in the US except may be some desert land in Nevada. So I wouldn't worry too much about people sitting around doing nothing and drinking 40 ouncers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,366 posts, read 9,999,217 times
Reputation: 9115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
1,000 dollars a month isn't enough to live any where in the US except may be some desert land in Nevada. So I wouldn't worry too much about people sitting around doing nothing and drinking 40 ouncers.
True. But in that case, there would be no incentive to stay in the metro hellholes either. You'd get just as much cash in the Nevada desert as you would in a 'hood in Chicago. I'd gladly take the Nevada desert. Low cost of living and low pay equals about the same as high cost of living and high pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
3,537 posts, read 2,697,977 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
True. But in that case, there would be no incentive to stay in the metro hellholes either. You'd get just as much cash in the Nevada desert as you would in a 'hood in Chicago. I'd gladly take the Nevada desert. Low cost of living and low pay equals about the same as high cost of living and high pay.

If everyone moves to the Nevada desert, won't it become more expensive ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:02 PM
 
3,924 posts, read 2,513,895 times
Reputation: 2531
I think people got the wrong idea. It's not the ticket to easy street. You just won't starve. But you'd still be very unhappy if you solely relied on it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
3,832 posts, read 1,473,202 times
Reputation: 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Nothing. Just like everyone else would. Until nothing got done and society tanked.
The point of UBI is a great deal of jobs would be automated so its a safety net to prevent the rich from getting guillotined in the town square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,694 posts, read 1,040,164 times
Reputation: 3524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I think people got the wrong idea. It's not the ticket to easy street. You just won't starve. But you'd still be very unhappy if you solely relied on it..
Yeah....I'm not quite sure where people got the idea that a UBI would cover *all* their expenses. I took it to mean it would be *in addition* to what you're already making at your job. Sort of a, "OK, you're making $40,000 a year in an area where the average cost of living is $35,000 a year, so here's an extra $250 a month to help with some of the basic expenses and give you some breathing room." It might give higher-income earners the ability to work fewer hours, but odds are it would just make things more comfortable/less stressful for a majority of lower-wage earners.

As I'd pointed out earlier, if I got the $1500 proposed at the beginning of this, and presuming no taxes or anything applied....it'd pay my mortgage, and that'd be it. I'd still need to earn money for utilities, food, such as that. If my job were to go for it, it's entirely possible I could cut down on my hours, but I'd be a long cry from quitting *entirely*.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2018, 03:58 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,366 posts, read 9,999,217 times
Reputation: 9115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Yeah....I'm not quite sure where people got the idea that a UBI would cover *all* their expenses. I took it to mean it would be *in addition* to what you're already making at your job. Sort of a, "OK, you're making $40,000 a year in an area where the average cost of living is $35,000 a year, so here's an extra $250 a month to help with some of the basic expenses and give you some breathing room." It might give higher-income earners the ability to work fewer hours, but odds are it would just make things more comfortable/less stressful for a majority of lower-wage earners.

As I'd pointed out earlier, if I got the $1500 proposed at the beginning of this, and presuming no taxes or anything applied....it'd pay my mortgage, and that'd be it. I'd still need to earn money for utilities, food, such as that. If my job were to go for it, it's entirely possible I could cut down on my hours, but I'd be a long cry from quitting *entirely*.
But the thing is, if you have that guaranteed income, there is nothing holding you to a high cost of living area. Move to Silver City, New Mexico, East Carbon, Utah, Sundance, Wyoming, Park River, North Dakota, Ontonagon, UP Michigan, etc, and suddenly you ARE on easy street without doing much of anything. When the cost of living index is at 69 rather than 350, it makes a HUGE difference. Now that's assuming that you can go without a Starbucks every morning, etc.

In fact, as a US citizen, take your guaranteed income and move to Uruguay (or equivalent). It's a decent country and you could live like a king or queen. Last I checked the minimum requirement for residency is $600 a month income from any reliable source, which is quite a lot of buying power for Uruguay standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2018, 04:00 PM
 
17,296 posts, read 14,844,328 times
Reputation: 32900
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Vote in Republicans, or move.
This is not a Democrat idea. The idea is currently being floated by big business people and economists. Not for now, but for the near-future (say 10-20 years) as automation increasingly replaces jobs. One documentary I saw recently had economists predicting that 80% of all jobs that currently pay $20 an hour or less are going to be gone. There will not be new jobs to replace all those lower skilled jobs. This is a real thing being discussed for the future, not as new entitlement but a true possible solution for the lack of jobs for everyone in an automated world still evolving. This isn't going to be like the old days, when the railroads died but the same people could get jobs in car factories, or other such scenarios where an industry dies out, but a much more massive scale with multiple jobs being eliminated at once affecting millions, and without a new booming industry to absorb them.


I don't know that this is a good solution, it's certainly not enough to live on, but I think we need to start proactively discussing what the plans could be for the future.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-17-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2018, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,487 posts, read 9,110,523 times
Reputation: 29056
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Do those brain dead leeches include Trump et al and the Republican party ? He just gave the wealthy 2 trillion dollars in tax cuts with out any way to fund it.


Why should only the wealthy get socialism ?


Are you surprised that middle class and poor people would want socialism too ?


Only in the fevered swamps of liberals' minds do tax cuts have to be "funded."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top