U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:59 PM

16,845 posts, read 9,594,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
They do if it affects their long term bottom line and sustainability as a company.
Yep that's why they're still spraying with DDT and agent orange. They were forced against their interests to stop!

How many examples are out there with industry of all types not shiving-a-git about long term thinking when it's share dividends today they get their bonuses paid upon.

C'mon, left solely to industries capacity for long term thinking, our collective survival as a species would be measured in seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 01:00 PM

6,448 posts, read 4,539,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear. The topic isn't about me.

Fracking was perfected in 1947. It's been constantly improved since, just like conventional oil drilling. It's silly to suggest that I said otherwise. But then again, it's now about attacking the messenger instead of addressing the message. And that message is that Obama got it 100% wrong. No way to spin your way out of this.
PERFECTED: excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement:

I see why you are confused. You are using words you don't understand. By definition, YOU suggested it, when you said Fracking was Perfected. Now I get it, you just were using words you didn't fully know the meaning. It's OK.

But again, I'm not trying to spin anything. I said in my post that Obama didn't solve this problem, nor did Palin, Bush, or Trump. American's did. The same American's that Trump thought could only become great with his guidance. The same America that he called a disaster.

I would accuse you of trying to spin my words, but I'll give you a pass, because I think you are legitimately confused. Like I used to tell my daughter when she was five: "Just slow down, read ALL the words, and tryo to figure out what people are saying before you respond. If you don't know the meaning of something, look it up."

Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 PM

19,555 posts, read 13,193,665 times
Quote:
Lets see.......
  • Obama said we'd all be driving millions of cheap electric cars by now. There would be constant gasoline shortages and $10/gal gas. The leftist media cheered him for it.
  • Sarah Palin said "drill baby drill". The leftist media castigated her for it.
Guess who was wrong.

(and Tesla is still having trouble delivering just a few very very expensive electric cars subsidized by the government. https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...llision-repair )
Yup. But it was said in 2008, when fracking for oil was still in development. And the vast deposits of natural gas that eliminated the need for oil hadn't been discovered yet.

In 2008, no one wanted to see Alaska give us another oil slick the size of Tennessee to deal with. And no one wanted Alaskan land covered with oil either.

Sarah Palin didn't know a thing about that stuff. She wanted all the oil in Alaska pumped out as fast as it could be pumped. If Palin knew anything about fracking at all, she probably thought it was a new swear word.

Palin cannot be happy these days. Fracking and natural gas in the lower 48 removed our dependency on Alaskan oil. The folks in Alaska aren't getting the yearly paychecks these days from the oil companies as a result. Fracking must have cost Palin about $30k a year of free income or more.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 PM

38,856 posts, read 15,646,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. But it was said in 2008, when fracking for oil was still in development. And the vast deposits of natural gas that eliminated the need for oil hadn't been discovered yet.

In 2008, no one wanted to see Alaska give us another oil slick the size of Tennessee to deal with. And no one wanted Alaskan land covered with oil either.

Sarah Palin didn't know a thing about that stuff. She wanted all the oil in Alaska pumped out as fast as it could be pumped. If Palin knew anything about fracking at all, she probably thought it was a new swear word.

Palin cannot be happy these days. Fracking and natural gas in the lower 48 removed our dependency on Alaskan oil. The folks in Alaska aren't getting the yearly paychecks these days from the oil companies as a result. Fracking must have cost Palin about $30k a year of free income or more.

Long way to say that Obama had no idea what he was talking about and Palin did.

Gee. Didn't I already say that?

Oh and as far has being happy? Have you compared Obama & Palin lately in the media. Obama seems angry & depressed & indignant. and Palin quite happy and thankful. Their behavior over John McCain speaks to this.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:13 PM

26,383 posts, read 14,261,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yep that's why they're still spraying with DDT and agent orange. They were forced against their interests to stop!

How many examples are out there with industry of all types not shiving-a-git about long term thinking when it's share dividends today they get their bonuses paid upon.

C'mon, left solely to industries capacity for long term thinking, our collective survival as a species would be measured in seconds.
Who is "they"?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:18 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,375,040 times
Republicans were right for once. Kinda like a stopped clock.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:45 PM

21,569 posts, read 10,816,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
A logic fail here.

Yes, we are extracting it at a rate far faster than it is made.

What does that mean?

It means that the supply is diminishing as long as the extraction rate is greater.

What does that mean?

It means the the supply will eventually go down to zero.

What does that mean?

It means that the resource availability will end at that point.

What does that mean?

It means that the resource availability is finite at the current extraction rate.
Until more is found. Idiots have been pounding that peak oil drum non stop.....until another field is found.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:54 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,398,068 times
Quote:
Fracking was perfected in 1947. It's been constantly improved since
I don't think you understand what the word perfected means.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:08 PM

1,803 posts, read 516,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Maybe the OP does not use any gas. The rest of us who do, know gas is very expensive today.

Really? You think gasoline is extraordinarily expensive today?

Then you were probably suicidal in 2011-2013, a period during the Obama Administration where the national average price per gallon was around $3.50, as compared to a relatively inexpensive $2.80/gallon today. During that period, gas on the West Coast was routinely going for $4.00 + per gallon, and there were a few retail outlets charging as much as $5.00/gallon or more.

The fact of the matter, of course, is that today's gasoline prices are in line with their historical averages, in inflation adjusted dollars. The gallon of gasoline you buy today for $2.80 is the same price as the $1.20 gallon you bought back in 1985, in inflation-adjusted dollars.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:25 PM

1,803 posts, read 516,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Yup. But it was said in 2008, when fracking for oil was still in development...

Hydraulic fracturing has been a widely-used well stimulation technique since 1948. It's not something that came about in the 21st century, obviously. What they were developing was the technique of multi-stage fracturing along horizontal wellbores 10,000' to 12,000' in length. Actually, they had already developed the technique by 2008, and the industry was seeking to improve and perfect the process at that point.

The industry had been running frac jobs (hydraulic, acid/chemical, etc.) on vertical wellbores for 60 years prior to 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies