Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:11 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And boy did it! It probably also helped that many of Kap’s supporters like myself made a run on Nike products. I personally bought 3 pairs of kicks, a golf shirt and some hats.

The swoosh is simply too ubiquitous in this world to be taken down by a protest in one nation.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...sy/1307506002/
Smart move.
Nike is the oldest performance shoe company of all, and they were losing big market share to their competition for years. The swoosh is ubiquitous, but it was losing it's power, especially to newer upstarts like Armor Underwear, which made a huge impact in the shoe biz.

And Nike only gets part of its business in shoes today. Their branded clothing, eyeglasses, and accessories all bring in as much biz and their shoes.

They needed something to pull up, and controversy always works for a company that was once the most radical ever. Nike needed to re-claim that reputation. Kap did it for them.

And the stock market expected he would. I'm sure Nike's stock has outpaced its sales right now.

Wall Street is seldom wrong though; the stock wouldn't have jumped so high if the experts didn't think the Kap campaign would pay off big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 12:16 PM

25,553 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Heh, heh.. Now The Left cheers one of those evil corporations who 'pull the strings' in Washington in exchange for 'special favors'.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:16 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Smart move.
Nike is the oldest performance shoe company of all, and they were losing big market share to their competition for years. The swoosh is ubiquitous, but it was losing it's power, especially to newer upstarts like Armor Underwear, which made a huge impact in the shoe biz.

And Nike only gets part of its business in shoes today. Their branded clothing, eyeglasses, and accessories all bring in as much biz and their shoes.

They needed something to pull up, and controversy always works for a company that was once the most radical ever. Nike needed to re-claim that reputation. Kap did it for them.

And the stock market expected he would. I'm sure Nike's stock has outpaced its sales right now.

Wall Street is seldom wrong though; the stock wouldn't have jumped so high if the experts didn't think the Kap campaign would pay off big time.
I know that New Balance is older, not sure if there are others. Converse was older too, but Nike bought them so technically Nike is older in that sense, through acquisition.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:21 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I find this fascinating.
  • Kap and others are bending knee to protest Blacks being killed by unjustly White Society, Police, Western Civ, etc. Racial injustice.
  • Nike pays KAP money so they can hijack Knee Bending issue to sell over priced clown shoes made in factories where some workers get paid as little as 30 cent/hour. Wonder what those people think of Kap?
  • Nike is a S&P 100 company. Guess who benefits mostly from it's profits?
  • Supporters of Knee Benders cheer. Must think they won something......
Fascinating indeed. They've been beaten by the very system they protest and don't even know it. This topic is testimate to it.

On the bold - I agree - but gladly I have some Nike stock lol so I'm a happy black woman that all the black people I know went and bought some Nikes lol.

FWIW I love it when everyone gets McDonald's and goes to Walmart too

Old 09-17-2018, 12:26 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Because, without a doubt, disrespecting your nation, your flag, and urinating in the faces of the people who waste their money to watch you be an overpaid asshat is certainly worthy of a second rate Chinese sweatshop clothing manufacturer to clean up on you tools. You'd buy stock in ISIS if they were publicly traded.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And boy did it! It probably also helped that many of Kap’s supporters like myself made a run on Nike products. I personally bought 3 pairs of kicks, a golf shirt and some hats.

The swoosh is simply too ubiquitous in this world to be taken down by a protest in one nation.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...sy/1307506002/
Short term - Kap supporters & liberals can crow. Let's see where Nike is in a year, let's see if the short term spike from Kap supporters buying stuff, continues.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Heh, heh.. Now The Left cheers one of those evil corporations who 'pull the strings' in Washington in exchange for 'special favors'.
What they do to manufacturer their shoes at the lowest cost possible is wrong. Those who are highly hypocritical on this subject (the biggest hypocrite being the president) have no ability to make a point.

Wrong or not, and they are wrong, the commercial was an excellent commercial. Go after Nike for their overseas manufacturing. I've been wanting someone to do that for a long time. It's not going to happen because Wall Street is God.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:11 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Good for Nike!
In other news; Kaepernick is a misguided fool
I would think a person protesting actions of the state would be right up your alley. What's wrong here frank?
What about kap is different?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:18 PM

13,930 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I would think a person protesting actions of the state would be right up your alley. What's wrong here frank?
What about kap is different?
His statement is that Kaepernick is a misguided fool. That is empirically true.

His protest is against the white establishment's treatment of black people, specifically unarmed black men killed (to hear his version of it) by white police acting on behalf of their white political masters. Generally, it's an "I hate bougie white people" protest.

Here's what makes it misguided, at least in his selling out to Nike - he sold his protest cred to a company run by bougie white people, who make their product with cheap, yellow people foreign labor and then price gouge their target audience of young black males in a blatant example of marketing exploitation...in order to enrich bougie white people, and he did it because he was paid a princely sum which allows him to live the life of a bougie white person, which as we all know is the real basis fo his protest. He was denied te cushy, bougie white person lifestyle that being an NFL QB offers, and he jumped on a cultural narrative's coattails to see if he could parlay faux activism into one more solid 3-5 year contract. Being denied that bougie white person lifestyle via football, he now goes for legal remedies and marketing exploitation of himself.

He sacrificed nothing except intellectual honesty and personal integrity, and was richly paid for that sellout.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:30 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I find this fascinating.
  • Kap and others are bending knee to protest Blacks being killed by unjustly White Society, Police, Western Civ, etc. Racial injustice.
  • Nike pays KAP money so they can hijack Knee Bending issue to sell over priced clown shoes made in factories where some workers get paid as little as 30 cent/hour. Wonder what those people think of Kap?
  • Nike is a S&P 100 company. Guess who benefits mostly from it's profits?
  • Supporters of Knee Benders cheer. Must think they won something......
Fascinating indeed. They've been beaten by the very system they protest and don't even know it. This topic is testimate to it.
Nope. It just means that this faux outrage by the Trump inspired righties fell flat on its face........AGAIN!!!

I know it's eating you guys up inside to know that a majority of people in this nation just gave a giant "f*** you" to Trump and his little Trumplings. That is worth its weight in gold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies