U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 PM

4,804 posts, read 1,351,350 times

Advertisements

And, occasionally, there are these hopeful stories:

A Friendship for a More Tolerant America
A white Navy veteran fessed up to his prejudices and the black president of a progressive think tank suggested ways to transcend them.

By Daniel Smith

“What can I do to change?” he asked plaintively. “You know, to be a better American?”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...lerant-america
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 06:08 PM

5,038 posts, read 1,525,865 times
I think the article is likely mistaken. Being prejudiced for no reason is different than being prejudiced for a good reason.

If you understand that some criminal behavior and race are very well correlated, that doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you an informed person that is less likely to be a victim than a person that assumes that all people are equally likely to be criminals.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:23 PM

10,293 posts, read 9,970,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

A white Navy veteran fessed up to his prejudices and the black president of a progressive think tank suggested ways to transcend them.

By Daniel Smith

“What can I do to change?” he asked plaintively. “You know, to be a better American?”

Rather than going with this stuff where if a person used some racial slur when he/she was five years old or has some kind of a hangup with different races, he or she is some big, bad racist, why don't you show a REAL success story where a REAL racist who was filled with REAL hate and who REALLY did have something to repent for, actually DID repent?

I'll tell you why: because you folks HATE that sort of success story. It denies you a bogeyman. You want a bogeyman that you can throw in everyone's face and say, "See there! He's white. He hates. You're white. You hate." You want political weapons. And what people like the guy in the below video does is deny you that. You want that hate to stay so you have something to rub in everyone's faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njXZUH5hv0w

Last edited by ChrisC; 09-17-2018 at 06:35 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 06:25 PM

4,663 posts, read 3,242,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I think the article is likely mistaken. Being prejudiced for no reason is different than being prejudiced for a good reason.

If you understand that some criminal behavior and race are very well correlated, that doesn't make you a bad person. It makes you an informed person that is less likely to be a victim than a person that assumes that all people are equally likely to be criminals.
NOPE, that makes you racist. Assuming a correlation between race and criminal behavior by definition makes you racist.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:36 PM

10,293 posts, read 9,970,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
NOPE, that makes you racist. Assuming a correlation between race and criminal behavior by definition makes you racist.
Guess there are a lot of racist statisticians then.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 PM

21,427 posts, read 7,135,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Rather than going with this stuff where if a person used some racial slur when he/she was five years old or has some kind of a hangup with different races, he or she is some big, bad racist, why don't you show a REAL success story where a REAL racist who was filled with REAL hate and who REALLY did have something to repent for, actually DID repent?

I'll tell you why: because you folks HATE that sort of success story. It denies you a bogeyman. You want a bogeyman that you can throw in everyone's face and say, "See there! He's white. He hates. You're white. You hate." You want political weapons. And what people like the guy in the below video does is deny you that. You want that hate to stay so you have something to rub in everyone's faces.

Well we can see buy this example that all Black people love White people. Is that it !!!

I was a little mad at that guy b/c his GF look like someone I dated but I got over it b/c it didn't work out anyway.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:39 PM

30,879 posts, read 24,200,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

By Daniel Smith

i can tell this guy how to end his racism. he needs to stop taking people as a group based on skin color, and start taking people as they come one on one, and ignore skin color.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:55 PM

11,656 posts, read 3,242,043 times
But how will we prevent robots from being racist and prejudice ?

Robots can become 'racist and sexist' all on their own, study finds | Fox News
Quote:
A look at a new study that reveals how AI robots can independently develop prejudices like racism and sexism
Robots can develop prejudices like “racism and sexism” all on their own, a shocking new study has found.

"Our simulations show that prejudice is a powerful force of nature and through evolution, it can easily become incentivized in virtual populations, to the detriment of wider connectivity with others."

Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 PM

10,376 posts, read 2,809,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Come on, man.

The video you shared was beautiful, it literally brought tears to my eyes, but that is no reason to discount the story referenced in the original post. Why tear it down?

Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 PM

9,479 posts, read 3,776,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Do you actually not understand the difference between "assuming" and observing or being aware of something? Or did you just think throwing "assuming" in there was a clever tactic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or