U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you consider "your people"
All Americans 74 33.33%
Americans who share your religion 2 0.90%
Americans who share your ethnicity/race 13 5.86%
Americans who share your ethnicity AND religion 6 2.70%
People of your religion anywhere in the world 1 0.45%
People of your ethnicity/race anywhere in the world 14 6.31%
People of your state regardless of background 4 1.80%
People of your region (South, New England, etc) regardless of background 9 4.05%
People of your immediate community regardless of background 12 5.41%
Other 87 39.19%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:00 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So 35 folks said they're loyal to all Americans. Anyone else finding that questionable?

I'm guessing some of them may be the flag-wavers who tell Muslim Americans to go back to where they came from.

I'm actually pleased that the majority are loyal to all Americans. Why would one find that questionable? No one is telling peaceful Muslims who assimilate into our society and don't seek to harm us to go back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:03 AM

2,991 posts, read 1,406,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Quote:" If I had a list: Texans, Nigerian Americans, Immigrants to America, Americans, Nigerians.
Of course if this wasnít about geopolitics it would be something like all the worlds soccer players, geography lovers and anime watchers".

In that order?
Probably, or close to it. I connect a whole lot with Texans and Nigerian American immigrants from any state than I do with any other type of American. Mostly because I have lived more than half of my life in the same town in Texas. The immigration process is a very serious process and isnít easy contrary to popular opinion and I feel connected to anyone who has been through it.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:06 AM

19,004 posts, read 10,686,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So who do you consider to be "your people" that you are most loyal to and identify with? Interesting poll especially with all these identity debates today.
Who thinks like that?

I don't have 'my people'.

How weird is that?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:08 AM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 6 days ago)

17,357 posts, read 8,536,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm actually pleased that the majority are loyal to all Americans. Why would one find that questionable? No one is telling peaceful Muslims who assimilate into our society and don't seek to harm us to go back home.
I find it questionable that some of the 35 actually feel loyalty toward all Americans.

And yes, Oldglory, there have been flag-wavers on the far right who have posted that people wearing hijabs, etc., should go back to where they came from. The idiots don't even realize they were born here.

As well, there are some on the far left who have come out and stated they would never have anything to do with Trump supporters.

I think some of those same people would describe themselves as feeling loyal toward all Americans, which is a sentiment I find highly questionable.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 AM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 6 days ago)

17,357 posts, read 8,536,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Probably, or close to it. I connect a whole lot with Texans and Nigerian American immigrants from any state than I do with any other type of American. Mostly because I have lived more than half of my life in the same town in Texas. The immigration process is a very serious process and isnít easy contrary to popular opinion and I feel connected to anyone who has been through it.
I get this, NN. I've bought lunch for, and eaten with, the cleaning crew in our building and a couple of them have told me they're against illegals (they're Hispanic) and jumped through hoops to do it the right way. A few have said they would do anything for a legal immigrant, knowing how frightening it is to start over in a new country. They feel like they belong to a special club that others don't belong to and could never understand.

And that makes perfect sense to me.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I find it questionable that some of the 35 actually feel loyalty toward all Americans.

And yes, Oldglory, there have been flag-wavers on the far right who have posted that people wearing hijabs, etc., should go back to where they came from. The idiots don't even realize they were born here.

As well, there are some on the far left who have come out and stated they would never have anything to do with Trump supporters.

I think some of those same people would describe themselves as feeling loyal toward all Americans, which is a sentiment I find highly questionable.

Why would you make that claim about the 35 posters who said their loyalty is to the U.S. first and foremost? You don't know any of these people. I don't find it questionable at all.

Sure, there are some Americans that want all Muslims out of our country but they don't represent the majority. I suggest you stop stereotyping. I have made my position clear and none of it is based on racism or wanting an all white America.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:34 AM

2,377 posts, read 639,448 times
For me it's pretty simple. The people that I know best live in my neighborhood, on my block in particular. For example, I was having an issue with my truck. It seemed that, at one time or another, just about everyone on the block came by to help out, offer suggestions, or just commiserate. We are all on a first name basis, they'll be there for me, I'll be there for them. It works really well for me. Half the battle of having good neighbors is being a good neighbor.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 AM

4,285 posts, read 1,075,641 times
Myself, my family, my friends.

That's it.

Pride in or tribalism about things no one has control over like nationality, race, etc is for pathetic losers that don't have any actual accomplishments of their own to be proud of. Instead they gotta piggyback their self worth onto an external group.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:23 AM

9,834 posts, read 5,719,196 times
People with no tattoos.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
People with no tattoos.

Lol, though my loyalty is with America and all Americans those with tattoos are a blight on our country. I think they are hideous. Just my opinion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or