U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you consider "your people"
All Americans 74 33.33%
Americans who share your religion 2 0.90%
Americans who share your ethnicity/race 13 5.86%
Americans who share your ethnicity AND religion 6 2.70%
People of your religion anywhere in the world 1 0.45%
People of your ethnicity/race anywhere in the world 14 6.31%
People of your state regardless of background 4 1.80%
People of your region (South, New England, etc) regardless of background 9 4.05%
People of your immediate community regardless of background 12 5.41%
Other 87 39.19%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:45 PM

8,089 posts, read 4,446,122 times

Advertisements

Americans who share your ethnicity/race- in my area, region

I want to live with my own ethic, my own background, my own moral upbringing. not it not racist, like china town or little Italy. I dont want to be diverse, but i also dont want no trailer trash wife beater supremacy local on cops weekly either.

I want my moral, my upbringing, my educational level, my income level. I want the brady bunch lifestyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 09:49 PM

9,476 posts, read 3,776,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
In a simplistic way, my reflex is desert peoples. Especially our desert southwest. I am never as happy as when I am just simply present there. Pragmatic folks in a harsh environment with zero tolerance for crap or pretense.
So... Bedouins? Berbers? The San?

Old 09-28-2018, 09:57 PM

172 posts, read 533,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
So... Bedouins? Berbers? The San?
Possibly. I don't know enough about them to say no.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:02 PM

9,476 posts, read 3,776,861 times
This thread is hilarious... so much creative BS from my fellow white Americans trying to avoid sounding deplorable.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:15 AM

3,923 posts, read 2,725,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This thread is hilarious... so much creative BS from my fellow white Americans trying to avoid sounding deplorable.
We should be encouraging people to perceive "white people" as not being "my people." There aren't any downsides to that and lots of up sides, so far as I can see.

Now, for smaller groups maybe there are exceptions. I tend to prefer that go away too though, more or less, unless it's something like a very specific Native American tribe or something.

I just like the idea of tribalism, for the most part, disappearing from the Earth, with the exception of between very small communities and family/friend groups that naturally have social bonds. Our decisions regarding bigger laws and policies ideally would be rooted in what's best for everyone anyway.

I'm not real thrilled about nationalism either. Our goals should be about what's best for the planet. The only reason I'm not opposed to certain types of tribalism and nationalism are that there are certain groups we understand the needs of better than everybody else, so it makes more sense to spend energy pushing the interests of those groups because we won't know as much about what's best for other groups.

My view, and I suspect this is about the complete opposite of yours, based on your posts, is that the primary thing separating human beings from animals is that we're not damned to Darwinian competition -by which I mean the kind that exists between animals that's based off survival. We're much cooperative than that. Darwinian competition, in nature is, as far as I can see, a miserable state and if we had the power, I think it might genuinely be worth considering euthanizing every animal that isn't a pet for its own benefit.

Human lives are worth more than that because we're more cooperative and function off more sensible long term principles than survival-based Darwinian competition. We're not as blind as most animals. We can look ahead and plan for the future.

One reason I'm so concerned about having our species prepared as possible for the future is because I would view the collapsing into total Darwinian competition due to some disaster as about the worst possible fate for our species...possibly worse than extinction.

We don't live in a zero sum game now. Because of our minds, there are no circumstances in which we'd have to. Even if we start running out of food, we don't have to revert to the worst-of-all-scenarios that is Darwinian, tribal competition. We can just draw straws to see who lives and who dies - keep things organized like that. Technology can help avoid getting into those sorts of circumstances too.

Under my worldview, the moment we return to the state many humans had throughout history where the lives of other people are of no importance, that's when Ted Bundy becomes correct, and we might as well start hunting each other for sport if we like that kind of adventure. I think he's wrong now though. I think human lives are more valuable than animal lives, mostly because we're not damned to procreate until we starve, or break the bonds holding society together through descending into Darwinian competition.

I like the results of this thread.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-29-2018 at 07:45 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 07:59 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,737,215 times
Texans of all colors, beliefs or lack thereof, political positions, or place of birth. There are many things I love about America, but my truly emotional tie is to the place I was born. I love beautiful Texas, ugly Texas, strip center Chinatown in Houston and quincinaneras in, well, anywhere, menudo on Saturday morning and real barbacoa, river baptisms in the Brazos, border crossings at Lajitas, CFS and Shiner sausage, kolaches at Czech Stop on my way in (or out). I get chills when I hear the Longhorn Band play “The Eyes” and the Aggie Band routinely defy the rules of mathematics at halftime (and play pretty good too!). I love Willie Nelson and Van Cliburn, ZZ Top and Robert Earl Keen. I’m a Molly Ivins librul with a “Come and Take It” coffee mug (my mom’s people come from Gonzales County), a shotgun in the hall closet, and a lifetime pass to a deer blind between midnight and dawn every November 3, or at least as long as I can climb up to it. As some Yankee once said, very well, I contradict myself; I contain multitudes.

I’m in voluntary exile from my home and my people (grandchildren will do that), but I’m Texan to my fairly ancient core.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:18 AM

15,140 posts, read 15,198,298 times
KITTEHS, better company and more trustworthy than just about any Human out there.

That may sound like a joke answer, but the country as a whole seems to have less and less
sane, decent people within its borders.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:31 AM

7,129 posts, read 4,315,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So who do you consider to be "your people" that you are most loyal to and identify with? Interesting poll especially with all these identity debates today.
If you really want to know who your people are, you have to imagine where you would go, and who would be there, if society were to completely collapse.

In most cases, that is only your family and maybe a couple really good friends.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:29 AM

4,108 posts, read 4,540,526 times
I consider all the above except region. I would add female as well. I'm a black Christian female in my 30's that born and lives in Michigan but headed to SC next year. I consider females, vets, Christians, Michiganders and Carolinians (lived in NC for 13 years)my people. I've lived around many Muslim folks being from the Detroit and Ann Arbor metro area. I consider them good folks and never had any issues with them. In fact, a Muslim woman gave me a flu shot yesterday. She saw my tattoo of a cross and said she liked it. I've also studied the faith while on active duty in the Army. So I don't consider folks that are different less than or unrelatable. In fact, I think our differences make our country special. If everyone was the same, how boring would that be? I have friends and have dated men from many ethnicities and races. No problems there. Heck, I appreciate all God's children!

Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 PM

31,458 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I consider all the above except region. I would add female as well. I'm a black Christian female in my 30's that born and lives in Michigan but headed to SC next year. I consider females, vets, Christians, Michiganders and Carolinians (lived in NC for 13 years)my people. I've lived around many Muslim folks being from the Detroit and Ann Arbor metro area. I consider them good folks and never had any issues with them. In fact, a Muslim woman gave me a flu shot yesterday. She saw my tattoo of a cross and said she liked it. I've also studied the faith while on active duty in the Army. So I don't consider folks that are different less than or unrelatable. In fact, I think our differences make our country special. If everyone was the same, how boring would that be? I have friends and have dated men from many ethnicities and races. No problems there. Heck, I appreciate all God's children!

As I said, all Americans are my people. I may not agree with all of them on politics, their religious or societal views but we as a nation should be united. Unfortunately, I see us being driven further apart by those who can't tolerate other American's views and won't assimilate into our society out in mainstream along with a lot perversion and immoral behavior today. Those who put their racial or their ethnic group above all other Americans is also a concern to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or