U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 10:38 PM

436 posts, read 79,015 times

Advertisements

The only thing that is going to kill the NFL is if they keep calling these ridiculous penalties that change the outcome of the game like that Clay Matthews sack. That could get me to stop watching. I could care less about a couple guys kneeling for a minute before the game.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 10:51 PM

5,682 posts, read 1,712,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The NFL continues to suffer declining ratings, and revenue. This is just the tip of the iceberg. People are tired of having politics forced on them during their entertainment time when they are trying to relax, not get heartburn.
You're right, but this recent association of the anthem with the military is weird and offensive. I know it was written about a military battle at Fort McHenry, but it's supposed to be a patriotic song for all Americans equally.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:53 PM

5,682 posts, read 1,712,156 times
Quote:
Why does politics have to be thrust into much of entertainment, and many other things today?
The term is "totalitarianism".

Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,010,551 times
That "Facebook group" appears to be about 5 people posting memes all day long.

'Murica!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:02 AM

9,780 posts, read 7,644,489 times
I ponder why all these patriotic anthem loving Americans did not get bent out of shape when the military used the flag for promotion. They paid the NFL for the opening ceremony. The flag code plainly says the flag is not to used for advertising.

It also is not to be worn, or defaced in any way. What about that group of military people who sent GWB a flag to sign and he did? Where was the uproar about defacing and disrespecting the flag? How many wrap themselves in the flag to show their patriotism, literally? I see flags printed on doormats and sofa throws. Wipe your feet and sit your ass down on the flag.

And come a flag holiday, your local real estate agents will have them dragging in the mud all over the country. Where's POTUS Trump? Probably playing golf.

The taking a knee is a calculated tactic to get some group of people all pissed off. It worked. He keeps his troops and the rest of us stomping pissants while the elephants run wild.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:14 AM

27,237 posts, read 15,024,326 times
Quote:
The NFL continues to suffer declining ratings, and revenue. This is just the tip of the iceberg. People are tired of having politics forced on them during their entertainment time when they are trying to relax, not get heartburn.
You know what I'm tired of?

Pretend patriotic snowflakes whining about what a handful of black athletes choose to do on a football field.

Good lord.

Watch or not. No one cares.

Stop whining.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 AM
Status: "I used to have a lead foot, but now it's aluminum." (set 13 days ago)

5,303 posts, read 3,672,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
A better way would be to boycott the sponsors who advertise on NFL on Veterans Day.
Yes, like the right wingers did with Nike!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM

4,928 posts, read 3,129,832 times
Way ahead of 'em. I've been boycotting the NFL ever since the anthem-kneeling thing started. And even before that, I greatly limited my viewing, simply because I didn't want to see a bunch of overpaid thugs (and yes, more than a few football players fit that description) play a game.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Status: "I used to have a lead foot, but now it's aluminum." (set 13 days ago)

5,303 posts, read 3,672,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They are feeling it now. TV ratings are way way down, and they are playing to 1/2 empty or more stadiums across the USA. It's fascinating to watch the NFL destroy it's brand.
I'm still waiting to see a source on this from you, Waldo.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 AM

5,642 posts, read 5,104,049 times
I mean boycotting the NFL is their right, if that's what they want to do then more power to them.

My thing is, lately the right is boycotting SO MANY THINGS. Nike, the NFL, Keurigs, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Amazon, about 8000 different actors and musicians (and all their TV shows, movies and albums), all awards shows (except the country music ones)... I could go on.

Don't y'all get tired of this??? Are you just going to go around being angry at everyone all the time? Y'all have the Presidency, the House and the Senate but you're still hopping mad constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or