Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 03:12 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I guess Walmart and others will have to start buying locally...Wouldn't that be something?
The products aren't made here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 AM

37,181 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
I guess Walmart and others will have to start buying locally...Wouldn't that be something?
I remember when you walked in a WM, and the first thing you saw was a banner that proclaimed "We Proudly Sell American Made Goods". Sam Walton was alive, then. "Made In America" is the title of his autobiography. His greedy offspring kept the "American Goods" tagline into the 90s, then, when everyone believed that slogan, they quietly pulled a bait-and-switch and started with foreign merchandise.

The cheap, and usually substandard goods they sell now lets more people on the bottom rung of the economic ladder do some recreational shopping like the Rich Folks, but it's all smoke and mirrors. As always, you get what you pay for. If you would rather buy marketing psychology than quality, hey - Murica. You are entitled by law to buy garbage if you have a taste for it.

I haven't been in a WM in fourteen years, and have no plans to return. If I can't buy what I want somehere else for more money, I didn't really need it in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
Trump's Tariffs hit Walmart Shoppers!!-9457184b-21ea-4ed9-9a75-4cf0d822de03_1.4f0f694b3fd75e913dfba474ba70d53c.jpeg  

Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM

37,181 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Low tariffs in the past on Canadian lumber has accomplished a couple of things....One: US lumber mill closing because of low cost imported Canadian lumber. Two: Obvious lost of American jobs because of item one. Three: Canadian buying US lumber mills use to export logs to Asia.
That cheap Canadian lumber is one of the reasons mew home sales have been on an incline for years. hey are dropping now. Housing starts will drop accordingly, and the mills will either have to raise prices, lay people off, or shut down completely.

A trade war is a fool's game by people who don't have a clue how business works.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Walmart - Home of cheap Chinese Chit!

Old 09-25-2018, 11:11 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That cheap Canadian lumber is one of the reasons mew home sales have been on an incline for years. hey are dropping now. Housing starts will drop accordingly, and the mills will either have to raise prices, lay people off, or shut down completely.

A trade war is a fool's game by people who don't have a clue how business works.
And then there is this:

Trump tariffs will make rebuilding after Florence more expensive

Quote:
The biggest hit will likely come from wood prices, which have increased 40 percent since Trump imposed a 20 percent tariff on Canadian lumber late last year. But the list of products affected by the trade policies is nearly 200 pages long and features everything from sheetrock materials to electronics and kitchen gadgets.

Some builders say that the cost of reconstruction after the storm could be up to 30 percent higher than they would have been before Trump's tariffs, according to The New York Times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies