U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:38 PM

508 posts, read 306,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It's not fair to say Jews. These are ultra-Orthodox. That is like painting all Christians with the same brush as the fundie Christian cults. Totally unfair. Regular Jewish people don't do this.
Hasidic Jews to be precise which was a movement that developed in Poland during the late 1800s. Orthodox Jews are not Hasidic, they tend to follow stricter rules than Conservative or Reform Jews, like Kosher laws, daily prayers and rituals, traditional Sabbath for example, but typically don't live separated from modern society. In other words, they're productive members of society who are probably not committing welfare fraud, real estate block busting and school district defunding.

The closest analogue to any Christian group Hasidic Jews have any superficial similarities to might be insular those Mormon splinter groups who live in the dessert and have 50 wives to one husband and likewise have a long history committing welfare fraud as well. Just for the record Hasidic Jews do not practice polygamy. I am just comparing a way out group from the mainstream one.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:56 PM

11,708 posts, read 5,542,452 times
I have never read anything negative about Jewish groups up to and including Orthodox. It's always some form of ultra-Orthodoxy. Well, some headlines say 'Orthodox Jews' refuse to allow planes to take off when they can't get gender-segregated seating, but I am pretty sure that is actually only Ultra-Orthodox. I hope so.

My understanding is that only in Israel is just the Orthodox level troublesome to other Jews. Concentrating too much power similar in concept to our Christian right, but with much more ability than our constitution allows to actually affect the lives of other people.

But even Israel court say nay to the whole gender segregation thing. They have laws against discrimination based on sex too.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Status: "Pro-Christian 💒 • Anti-U.S. Constitution 🚫" (set 1 day ago)

919 posts, read 189,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Thanks for the rep with your pity comment to Google it. No, that's not how the internet works. You made the claim, you provide the source. Without a verifiable source, it's BS.
Sources have been provided before. Stop playing ignorant.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Status: "Pro-Christian 💒 • Anti-U.S. Constitution 🚫" (set 1 day ago)

919 posts, read 189,368 times
Quote:
It's not fair to say Jews. These are ultra-Orthodox. That is like painting all Christians with the same brush as the fundie Christian cults. Totally unfair. Regular Jewish people don't do this.
They are Jews, regardless of how religious they are. According to them they are the real Jews as they practice all Jewish law and customs.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:41 AM

3,787 posts, read 1,692,906 times
We went to an air show near that town and many of the Hassidim were there. They walk the walk. Men were dressed as if for Temple. Jackets and ties. Women wore conservative skirts and blouses. Stockings and sweaters were typical. Even kids were dressed neatly.

It was bright, sunny, hot, and humid, too.

There is something sobering about seeing people whose appearance professes their faith, who observe its forms in their daily lives and not only while in formal worship.

It was very much like the way most Americans dressed 60 years ago when attending a public event. Parade, ball game, etc. Most men, women and children dressed up for it.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:10 AM

7,210 posts, read 8,811,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
We went to an air show near that town and many of the Hassidim were there. They walk the walk. Men were dressed as if for Temple. Jackets and ties. Women wore conservative skirts and blouses. Stockings and sweaters were typical. Even kids were dressed neatly.

It was bright, sunny, hot, and humid, too.

There is something sobering about seeing people whose appearance professes their faith, who observe its forms in their daily lives and not only while in formal worship.

It was very much like the way most Americans dressed 60 years ago when attending a public event. Parade, ball game, etc. Most men, women and children dressed up for it.
Go visit New Square in Rockland and see what that life really looks like, the town looks like Warsaw on the eve of WWII. They grow up and live in this world and very few have the ability to leave because if they do they are considered dead to everyone including their parents. They are not raised with outside influences and have little exposure to them.

The only parallel(s) I could draw is maybe the Amish communities but they try to live separate and not impose themselves unlike the Hassid's or the FDLS who's lifestyle and habits are criminal.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:45 AM

8,946 posts, read 2,467,601 times
I'm Jewish so I can probably comment....without attack......in fact, my ancestors founded Hasidism!

What many people don't understand is that "Sharia Law" is already here and totally enforced within many Fundamental communities. Moreover, it has worked its way into the public sector....as religious fundies now run a lot of government and school board bodies.

That is how it is. What you think about it - is your opinion.....

Oh, BTW, my wife was recently at the rest stop in NY State N. of NY City and wanted to get a drink at the water fountain, but the Hasidic man who was washing his hands there in front of her made her go elsewhere. Obviously that must be a "thing"....

Maybe people should worry less about Sharia and more about FDLS and Scientologists and many others....

Old 09-28-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Go visit New Square in Rockland and see what that life really looks like, the town looks like Warsaw on the eve of WWII. They grow up and live in this world and very few have the ability to leave because if they do they are considered dead to everyone including their parents. They are not raised with outside influences and have little exposure to them.

The only parallel(s) I could draw is maybe the Amish communities but they try to live separate and not impose themselves unlike the Hassid's or the FDLS who's lifestyle and habits are criminal.
It was on the radio the other day - works in the school books are censored. Words like Dinosaur.
(evolution).......

Old 09-28-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This town has one of the largest percentages of welfare recipients and welfare fraud in the country.
It's a fact that certain Hasidic communities take advantage of such things....same with Mormons (big time among the FDLS) and same with some other communities.

However - on the other end of things, many of the Hasidic men run BIG business and employ a lot of people and pay a lot of taxes. However, I doubt it is enough to cover 10 children.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:05 AM

1,003 posts, read 234,230 times
Quote:
I have never read anything negative about Jewish groups up to and including Orthodox. It's always some form of ultra-Orthodoxy. Well, some headlines say 'Orthodox Jews' refuse to allow planes to take off when they can't get gender-segregated seating, but I am pretty sure that is actually only Ultra-Orthodox. I hope so.

My understanding is that only in Israel is just the Orthodox level troublesome to other Jews. Concentrating too much power similar in concept to our Christian right, but with much more ability than our constitution allows to actually affect the lives of other people.

But even Israel court say nay to the whole gender segregation thing. They have laws against discrimination based on sex too.
As a Jew, I can say that the ultra religous Jews are really out there.
All Religions have a kooky, extreme group, and the Jews are no different in this case.
Those groups are a small, but growing problem in Israel, but they will never become much of an issue here.

Complaining about Fraud among these groups is clearly based on bias, as it's rampant in all religions, and also non religious people.

The town in the OP needs to be monitiored though. They might phrase it as a suggestion, but if some non religious family passes through town one day, I doubt that the store owners will be so kind.

While this is legal in principle, I doubt that its implementation will be. They are going to do something wrong, and it is going to give certain people ammunition in their propaganda war. Definitely not a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies