U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 05:18 PM

3,741 posts, read 2,915,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What is the lie -- that he said he had now the tallest building...but he did say it.

And yes he THEN said how awful it is....but I can't think of any human being who would first talk about whose building was tallest before the devastation.

It's not a lie.

It was inappropriate...it just was.

But it is always about him. He doesn't see the world any other way. The disasters are messes for him to claim he has done a good job saving people. Then it is about the people.

It just is -- and it isn't going to change. You can guarantee that the next somber moment he will say something inappropriate again.

If it is his character -- he should just shut up but I fear it's a combination of character and age. As we get older -- we lose our filter.
I'm not denying he discussed building heights. I'm denying that he "bragged" about it.

All these comments saying that President Trump said this wrong, or that wrong....IMHO, people are looking for things to be offended about. And in order to back up their position, often times words are taken out of context, or twisted, or the whole quote isn't used.

To be fair, both sides do this.

That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,570,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I'm not denying he discussed building heights. I'm denying that he "bragged" about it.

All these comments saying that President Trump said this wrong, or that wrong....IMHO, people are looking for things to be offended about. And in order to back up their position, often times words are taken out of context, or twisted, or the whole quote isn't used.
No one is twisting his words or taking them out of context. It was said on live TV for anyone to hear. Even today, 17+ years later, you can watch the video on YouTube or in any number of online articles.

This wasn't a "sources say that someone heard from someone else that Trump said..." He bragged, on live TV on 9/11/2001, that his building was now the tallest in New York. His building wasn't even the tallest in New York. It was just his way to try and bring the conversation back around to him. Because even when thousands of people were dying just blocks away, Trump somehow thought the interview should be about him.

Just as he thought it was a good idea to ask about his golf course when there were people who died, were injuried lost their homes... No one cares about how his golf course that is 300 miles west of the hurricane destruction he was touring. If he really needed to know how his golf course was doing, then that is a private phone call he could have made. There was zero reason for him to bring up his golf course except to make sure he could pretend like he too was a victim.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:56 PM

3,000 posts, read 466,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

To be fair, both sides do this.

That is all.
We are looking at Trump when he is talking. It s him offending people. He does not speak Shakespear. His vocabulary and sentence structure is limited and there is no wiggle room for " what he meant ". No twisting on this side.
Trump twists the truth into an otherworldly menacing ghoul. That is all he does.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:31 AM

8,706 posts, read 2,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Empathy doesn't mean you can't be positive. Look, the sun is shining, they're giving out free food, the government is helping....HAVE A GOOD TIME EATING FREE FOOD AND BEING SAFE AND ALIVE ....that's what I get from it. Enjoy this moment - by HAVING A GOOD TIME RIGHT NOW.

It didn't mean "have a good time being displaced from your home and trying to put your life back together over the next many months".

Geez...have some common sense.

Trump isn't some heartless devil. What would Clinton have done? "I feeeel your pain". "Want some hot sauce, I got some here in my old-lady purse."

C'mon now.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:50 AM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Seems like a good place to step in.

A short while back, I recall a video on FB asking if the predecessor was one's favorite president? It was a nice video, showing him in his nice, shining, friendly moments. The thing that was really lacking, however, were pictures of the things he accomplished.

Which rather reminded me of high school, any high school, where one often elects a class president and a class favorite.

So when it comes to the White House, who are we electing, someone to be the president......or someone to be the favorite?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM

195 posts, read 37,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
As compared to the dopey idiots that voted for Hillary, an ultra corrupt hag.. a monster in a pant suit, simply because they think she "deserves it" and "its her turn"...hahaha not for any of her stupid policies or ideas..nope because she is a dam woman.
You are a perfect example of his flock. Party affiliation has no context here. Do you really think Trump is the best the GOP could muster up?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:54 PM

1,041 posts, read 992,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So when it comes to the White House, who are we electing, someone to be the president......or someone to be the favorite?
With President Obama, we fortunately got both. With Trump, we got neither. The clear majority of PEOPLE and VOTERS haven't supported Trump as they did Obama---the proof of the pudding.

Quote:
President Barack Obama will leave office nearly as popular as he was coming into the job.
A CNN/ORC poll conducted in the week before the end of his term found that 63% of Americans said they held a favorable view of the president... The same poll found that 60% of adults said they approved of the job he was doing...

An NBC/Wall Street Journal survey taken in the same period found that 56% of adults approved of Obama's job performance and 57% held a positive view of the president.

And an ABC/Washington Post survey conducted last week showed Obama with a 61% favorable rating... The favorable rating was almost identical to the 60% of survey respondents who said they believed Obama was doing a good job as president.

Obama has remained popular with the majority of Americans throughout the majority of his tenure, though his favorability rating has seen a particularly significant spike over the past year. Over the course of his presidency, Obama garnered a 53% favorable rating, according to an average of Gallup polls...

Obama's high favorability rating starkly contrasts with that of incoming President Donald Trump.
https://www.businessinsider.com/obam...g-final-2017-1
The minority who have ardently supported and defended Trump's egregious and unprincipled actions is dwindling yet further. Trump hasn't served this country and Americans, but himself and a minority of citizens that is copacetic with wrongdoing that benefits them.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 PM

5,201 posts, read 4,777,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
You're distorting again. And misreading again. Please quote where I said he CAUSED the hurricane.
How was I referring to other than your first post above and the other poster to whom you responded?

Affirmative. Sure do. And they sure could. Discernment would tell you that is what my post was referring to. I do know about a number of good people who have suffered in different parts of the country at different times. Stands to reason not everybody. Right? What people did YOU PERCEIVE I judged?

I feel empathy for anyone (regardless of their political beliefs) having one of those life altering devastations. They really can change one's perspectives. Trump's lack of genuine empathy is perceptively documented as surface and self over substance in many other posts.

Do you feel compassion for non-Trumpers who have such hardships befall them?

It's the rare person who is focused on politics or partisanship as gales blow, waters rise or they wait for essentials of life or emergency medical care. When they do have a moment to think, they only hope that whatever powers that be have some concern and compassion and effective action for those suffering and aren't exclusively focused on their own photo ops.
Lol. Need some cheese?

Old 09-21-2018, 01:04 PM

54,144 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Who got us there? Bush and Obama. How many US service men dead in Afganistan under the Peace prize winning Obama's surge? Over 2000. Much more than even Bush. How many under Trump to date? 27. What ever hes doing its a huge improvement over Berry

WHO
is in charge now and has the power to end it?

I guess like most Trumpites you'd prefer to avoid the TRUTH, the illegal alien of TrumpLandia, eh?

Old 09-21-2018, 01:07 PM

1,041 posts, read 992,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Lol. Need some cheese?
Isn't that what you're here for? So, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies