U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
2,978 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Reputation: 3796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's not incomplete most Anglos in the 1780s would have next to zero awareness or concern for Islam.
You're wrong, but your mindset is too tiring to waste time bouncing facts off of.

Quote:
What the founder had in mind...
Whoops, I think you forgot to capitalize "God," there. She's gonna be PO'ed.

 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
7,827 posts, read 10,349,004 times
Reputation: 9322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Hey ,Pres. .Obama took the oath on the Koran the second time in private.
That was while he was performing that abortion and peeing on the constitution at the same time, right?
 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
12,900 posts, read 4,920,152 times
Reputation: 4983
In America you have the freedom to believe whatever crazy stuff you want to believe, no matter who gets hurt as a result. It’s written in our constitution.
 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:33 PM
 
11,656 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Reputation: 3568
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You're telling me your opinion. Which is not supported by facts. I'm providing you with facts. And you are ignoring the facts.

Why would this be cited in the article I linked to?

Officials in Massachusetts were equally insistent that their influential Constitution of 1780 afforded "the most ample liberty of conscience … to Deists, Mahometans, Jews and Christians," a point that Chief Justice Theophilus Parsons resoundingly affirmed in 1810.

https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0205/tolerance.html
You're just repeating what I said was a philosophy, but it was not based on any practical knowledge of muslims. It did not mean foreigners entering with a foreign religion. In 1790, you had to be white to be a citizen and to participate in government or vote. What are the chances a white person would convert to Islam in 1790s even though philosophically that would be acceptable? Virtually none. You are taking the era out of its context.
 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:36 PM
 
4,334 posts, read 2,292,240 times
Reputation: 2794
So?
 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:38 PM
 
2,572 posts, read 1,042,014 times
Reputation: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Would you prefer they take the oath on a book they don’t believe in?
 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM
 
11,656 posts, read 3,242,043 times
Reputation: 3568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Would you prefer they take the oath on a book they don’t believe in?
I would prefer a Somali refugee is not here taking an oath for office period.
 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:40 PM
 
5,049 posts, read 3,327,862 times
Reputation: 4863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You're just repeating what I said was a philosophy, but it was not based on any practical knowledge of muslims. It did not mean foreigners entering with a foreign religion. In 1790, you had to be white to be a citizen and to participate in government or vote. What are the chances a white person would convert to Islam in 1790s even though philosophically that would be acceptable? Virtually none. You are taking the era out of its context.

Keith Ellison was sworn into an office using a Quran once owned by Thomas Jefferson.



Fact: You can be sworn into office using any religious book, or no religious book at all.











/thread


racists feel free to keep it going. Not sure how this got to 13 pages when its clear cut.
 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
16,154 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Reputation: 9160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You're just repeating what I said was a philosophy, but it was not based on any practical knowledge of muslims. It did not mean foreigners entering with a foreign religion. In 1790, you had to be white to be a citizen and to participate in government or vote. What are the chances a white person would convert to Islam in 1790s even though philosophically that would be acceptable? Virtually none. You are taking the era out of its context.
And yet, the point still stands. People at the time fully understood that the First protects religions other than Christianity, whether any actual voters were Hindu/Muslim or not. (We know that the First intended to protect Deists, who are not defined as Christian, and Jews.)
 
Old 09-20-2018, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
16,154 posts, read 7,089,742 times
Reputation: 9160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I would prefer a Somali refugee is not here taking an oath for office period.
We all have preferences. I would prefer that no person in the world feel the need to flee his/her native country. But a legal immigrant has every right to run for office. Regardless of religion. And voters have the right to elect that person. Regardless of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top