Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 02:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

I know most people won't believe this because they are convinced Obama was a Muslim with terrorist ties out to destroy America, but he swore on the Bible both times. Never the Koran.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...uran-for-oath/

Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Keith Ellison was sworn into an office using a Quran once owned by Thomas Jefferson.

Fact: You can be sworn into office using any religious book, or no religious book at all.

/thread

racists feel free to keep it going. Not sure how this got to 13 pages when its clear cut.
Why the quadruple spacing ,you aren't being graded on spelling or sentence structure ?

Old 09-20-2018, 02:54 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I question why we need to swear an oath on a book anyways. Why not have the person swear an oath on the state constitution, city flag, state flag, US constitution, or US flag?

You know, the thing they are swearing to protect.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And yet, the point still stands. People at the time fully understood that the First protects religions other than Christianity, whether any actual voters were Hindu/Muslim or not. (We know that the First intended to protect Deists, who are not defined as Christian, and Jews.)
I never denied that was the philosophy behind freedom of religion but not the intended practicality. The philosophy is not really what this is about. It was never intended or under the context to apply to masses of foreigners bringing the foreign religion and participating as citizens and government officials.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:55 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Yes, I do indeed doubt the entire story. Pix (unphotoshopped), or it didn’t happen.
No pix that's why its called "in private "

Old 09-20-2018, 02:59 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
No pix that's why its called "in private "
Quote:
Argument from ignorance (from Latin: argumentum ad ignorantiam), also known as appeal to ignorance (in which ignorance represents "a lack of contrary evidence") is a fallacy in informal logic . It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false or a proposition is false because it has not yet been proven true.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Old 09-20-2018, 03:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I never denied that was the philosophy behind freedom of religion but not the intended practicality. The philosophy is not really what this is about. It was never intended or under the context to apply to masses of foreigners bringing the foreign religion and participating as citizens and government officials.
Freedom of and fromreligion was intended primarily to protect Christians, the people who formed the nation, from sectarian state edicts against their doctrine - that being the reason the Pilgrims left England in the first place. It also provided a guarantee against theocracy in general...which would amount to or could lead to the same outcome.

It wasn't ever intended to produce some kind of pluralistic society.

The comments made contemporaneously just showed that it was understood that it WOULD, not that it was ever considered to be likely. Nor desirable, which clearly it was not, given the experiences America had already had with the always-intolerant islam.

Clearly a huge miscalculation made back then. Among other oversights that plague us now.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
We all have preferences. I would prefer that no person in the world feel the need to flee his/her native country. But a legal immigrant has every right to run for office. Regardless of religion. And voters have the right to elect that person. Regardless of religion.
I'm not saying they don't just don't claim that was the original intent of the 1st amendment or that it requires it. It did/does not intend or require immigration of muslims and for they to be naturalized, vote and be electable to office.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You're telling me your opinion. Which is not supported by facts. I'm providing you with facts. And you are ignoring the facts.

Why would this be cited in the article I linked to?

Officials in Massachusetts were equally insistent that their influential Constitution of 1780 afforded "the most ample liberty of conscience … to Deists, Mahometans, Jews and Christians," a point that Chief Justice Theophilus Parsons resoundingly affirmed in 1810.

https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0205/tolerance.html
The true spirit of our Founding Fathers, children of the Enlightenment, bold and free original thinkers!

Old 09-20-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
The true spirit of our Founding Fathers, children of the Enlightenment, bold and free original thinkers!
The Enlightenment was a product of and for Anglos and the people and culture they most knew and understood, and was even exclusionary of other known groups at the time. It remains to be seen if the philosophies are universally applicable to all others if they have their druthers. Plenty of signs so far say it is probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies