U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 10:38 AM

30,137 posts, read 15,426,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
All of them? I've got two Muslim doctors. Both of them get on me every time I see them about drinking more water and quitting smoking. Basically doing their utmost to keep me as healthy and as undead as possible. If all Muslims are hell bent on killing everyone not them, they sure are doing a really poor job of it.
They're saving you for a special occasion. Like the Muslims I've been working with, apparently, who failed to blow me up the slightest bit.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
This may be the first time I've heard anyone characterize the Enlightenment as some kind of purely continental thing centered in France.
Nobody did in fact do that, except possibly the voices in your head.

But someone did in fact characterize the Enlightenment as "a product of and for Anglos", and that's - well, it's simply not true.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:44 AM

18,511 posts, read 11,748,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If someone takes an oath with their hand on the Bible, Quran or an issue of Juggz magazine....whatever.

The US Constitution...it just keeps being the freaking law of the land, all these years later.
Pesky bill of rights...

Old 09-21-2018, 11:10 AM

4,910 posts, read 2,410,797 times
Sorry, but Islam has no place in the west. Its nothing more than a structured totalitarian oppressive government ideology masked as a "religion" . Half the Koran is stolen from the Christian Bible. Muhammad wasn't a fool when he designed it, and our ancestors were not fools for fighting major wars to keep it out of their country. Its nothing more than a wolf in sheeps clothing. Just watch what happens in Europe.... youll see

Old 09-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's not incomplete most Anglos in the 1780s would have next to zero awareness or concern for Islam.
Say what? Educated people were acutely aware of Islam, as were politicians and those involved in trade. The Ottoman Empire was still a thing, the British Empire (they qualify as "Anglos", right?) were either ruling or fighting (sometimes both) Muslims in the hundreds of thousands.

The British were skillfully juggling local pashas and beys and muftis who were in a persistent power struggle and who'd all of them of course claim to be the rightful rulers as per the Prophet's edicts. You'd better have your Muslim factions right if you wished for success in that sort of enterprise.

That's to say nothing of the tens of thousands of Muslims who enrolled in the British Army and whose officers - mostly not being idiots - went to great lengths to keep happy in matters of diet, prayer time etc.

Now, would the middle and upper-middle classes of an out-of-the-way colonial backwater be interested? - the mill owners and farmers and shopkeepers? Probably not.

Quote:
What the founder had in mind was freedom of conscience without government inducement or meddling. So Americans would be free to believe in a religion or none. That's a different concept from foreigners coming in with a foreign religion.
Jefferson's writing specifically call out Muslims and Jews as those protected by freedom of religion - ample evidence has been provided in this thread. Although his contemporaries, I'm sure, had a hard enough time swallowing the idea of Jews in their midsts.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 09-21-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 11:47 AM

17,864 posts, read 8,749,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Sorry, but Islam has no place in the west. Its nothing more than a structured totalitarian oppressive government ideology masked as a "religion" . Half the Koran is stolen from the Christian Bible. Muhammad wasn't a fool when he designed it, and our ancestors were not fools for fighting major wars to keep it out of their country. Its nothing more than a wolf in sheeps clothing. Just watch what happens in Europe.... youll see
Jimmy, come on. If the Koran is so violent and half of it was stolen from the Christian bible.....

There are plenty of Muslims who have lived in Europe for decades. They've assimilated with that culture. They're law-abiding citizens who contribute to society - just as they do here.

It's the current group of nutballs from the ME who do not assimilate, will not live a western life, and expect everyone to bend to their whims, who are creating all the havoc in Europe.

Please don't confuse the two. Even the assimilated Muslims do not want Muslims from the ME here for fear they'll be targeted as being too westernized and not adhering to sharia law.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:53 AM

5,326 posts, read 1,638,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
In regard to immigration law, Congress, under the Plenary Power Doctrine, has the power to make immigration policy subject to judicial oversight. The Executive Branch is charged with enforcing the immigration laws passed by Congress. The doctrine is based on the concept that immigration is a question of national sovereignty, relating to a nation's right to define its own borders. Courts generally refrain from interfering in immigration matters.[4] Historically, the U.S. Supreme Court has taken a hands-off approach when asked to review the political branches' immigration decisions and policy-making. The Center for Immigration Studies, an organization with a slant toward isolationism, suggests there is a movement to "erode" political-branch control over immigration in favor of a judge-administered system and that the results have created national security concerns.[4] The U.S. Supreme Court case Zadvydas v. Davis is cited as an example of the U.S. Supreme Court not following plenary power precedent.[4][5]

You still the dumb one? Or did you just not want to do a simple google search? Now tell me your crackpot tinfoil hat conspiracy about how this is all wrong. Enlighten everyone (including all of the Supreme Court Justices that have decided such things). We are all excited with anticipation.
Don't give me a copy and paste from Wikipedia. That's meaningless...are you really that lazy?

Where in the Constitution of the United States, in which the powers of the Federal government are enumerated, is the Federal govt given the authority over immigration?

It also says that any power not expressly delegated to the Federal govt is reserved to the states.

The phrase "plenary power" appears nowhere in the Constitution. The plenary power with reference to your comment exists on the assumption that all nations are sovereign thus all have the right to defend themselves as a geopolitical entity. That has nothing to do with immigration, when immigration is specifically mentioned in the document that delegates authority in a specific and unambiguous fashion. You think some unmentioned principle attendant to the axiomatic authority of any nation to defend itself is somehow a grant of specific power over an authority expressly delegated otherwise in writing by the Founders themselves?

LOL....mmmkay.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:54 AM

7,255 posts, read 3,351,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Sorry, but Islam has no place in the west. Its nothing more than a structured totalitarian oppressive government ideology masked as a "religion" .
And fundamentalist Christianity isn't? I'd say today, evangelicalism is more of a political movement than a religion.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:58 AM

5,326 posts, read 1,638,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Nobody did in fact do that, except possibly the voices in your head.

But someone did in fact characterize the Enlightenment as "a product of and for Anglos", and that's - well, it's simply not true.
Anglo-saxon, Anglo-norman, these are all the same general thing. You're quibbling over semantics. White Europeans mainly descended from Germanic peoples and their antecedents, were the source of all Enlightenment activity. Happy now?

Old 09-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Anglo-saxon, Anglo-norman, these are all the same general thing. You're quibbling over semantics. White Europeans mainly descended from Germanic peoples and their antecedents, were the source of all Enlightenment activity. Happy now?
Sorta. How can one not smile when watching that sort of mental gymnastics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or