U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 AM

7,148 posts, read 1,642,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This may be the first time I've heard Diderot, Voltaire and Montesquieu called "Anglos...
Not to mention Spinoza

Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
This may be the dumbest post ever made on this board and...well you know...there are a ton of really dumb posts made on this board.
Without a doubt.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The Enlightenment was a product of and for Anglos and the people and culture they most knew and understood ...
Very odd claim.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 AM

3,002 posts, read 1,578,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Half the Koran is stolen from the Christian Bible.

From my understanding (of reading the Quran myself. Not relying on someone else's interpretation.), the Quran summarizes the most important concepts of the Bible, then gives the next scriptural revelation. The Bible and Quran could be one giant book, really. It's all the same stuff. There is no need for the Quran to repeat what the Bible has already stated. It picks up where Revelation left off. People don't see this because they are married to their religions and their ideas of what these books are.

I can't believe this thread is 20 pages.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:40 AM

5,057 posts, read 1,533,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Sorta. How can one not smile when watching that sort of mental gymnastics?
No gymnastics. They are all the same peoples living in different areas. Angles are a Germanic people, so are the French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Not to mention Spinoza
What about him? According to Philosophy.net "Spinoza was the first modern European secular Jew". He's included. No anti-Semitism in this big tent.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:41 AM

593 posts, read 86,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
No gymnastics. They are all the same peoples living in different areas. Angles are a Germanic people, so are the French.
The French are a romance people (with a lot of German blood).

Old 09-21-2018, 11:52 AM

4,820 posts, read 2,344,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Jimmy, come on. If the Koran is so violent and half of it was stolen from the Christian bible.....

There are plenty of Muslims who have lived in Europe for decades. They've assimilated with that culture. They're law-abiding citizens who contribute to society - just as they do here.

It's the current group of nutballs from the ME who do not assimilate, will not live a western life, and expect everyone to bend to their whims, who are creating all the havoc in Europe.

Please don't confuse the two. Even the assimilated Muslims do not want Muslims from the ME here for fear they'll be targeted as being too westernized and not adhering to sharia law.
What does a handful of muslims have to do with the majority of the actual islamic world? If ISLAM was so tolerant, then they would allow people to build churches. If islam is so tolerant , then why do they persecute gays and other religions. Why do they cut people's hands off?

Im sorry, but islam is nothing more than a oppressive form of a totalitarian government, and if it came to it muslims will side with muslims over a "westerner".

Just look at the Paris terrorist, he his in belgium for months (hidden by the muslim community)... they knew what he did but they helped him.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:53 AM

4,820 posts, read 2,344,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
And fundamentalist Christianity isn't? I'd say today, evangelicalism is more of a political movement than a religion.
Please name me some countries that have their government and laws based off the Basis of Christianity? Ill wait.......

I know I can name plenty of muslim countries that run their government based off the Koran..

Old 09-21-2018, 11:55 AM

7,258 posts, read 3,277,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Please name me some countries that have their government and laws based off the Basis of Christianity? Ill wait.......

I know I can name plenty of muslim countries that run their government based off the Koran..
If Republicans had their way, the US would have "Bible law." Of course the only parts of the Bible that Republicans care about are the parts that condemn gay people and that enforce patriarchy.

The Values Voter summit is going on right now.

2018 Values Voter Summit

Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 AM

29,805 posts, read 15,208,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Angles are a Germanic people, so are the French.
That will come as a surprise to many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or