Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 12:18 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This.

I'm locked into 2.88% on a 15 year so let em rise!

Got 3.75% on a 30 year (I'm in year 5 of 30). No worries here.

To OP: it's actually a healthy sign that interest rates are rebounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
What folks are missing is that this means that the rich will continue buying up the housing markets, and sucking up wealth through renting at ever higher pricing. There is a reason people like Sean Hannity own over 900 houses. Its because they can see that the future has more and more people renting at higher and higher prices.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is of little concern to me (in fact, it's a positive since I am more often on the lending side), but I can't help but wonder how it hits the forgotten man and woman. Stable wages....at most up 1%, yet fuel up 10-20% and interest rates up 30-60%.

As it stands, the housing market in many areas has barely recovered (if that!) from the Great Recession, now this means the average person can afford less...

It looks like the Citibank Plutonomy memo is more true than ever. There is "us" and then there are the rest (most people!).....
You should come to NC. They are building houses here as fast as they can, and where I live if a house goes on the market, a bidding war ensues and the house sells for more than list. There are 300 houses in my neighborhood and there is no house for sale that has been listed for more than 10 days. It's amazing to see.

Interest rates need to go up. Bigly They should have been allowed to up in the late 2000s. We would have avoided the financial crisis. It's a natural point of the economy doing really really well, aside from all the nonsense from cNBC that might say otherwise. Remember 100% of the idiotic pundits on cNBC missed the impending financial collapse of 2008/09. It's a remarkable demonstration of malfeasance by the MSM. Why anyone goes to them now is beyond me.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:25 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The will still do that however they will get a lesser house for the same amount of money.
A lesser (smaller) house may cost less to maintan and taxes will likely be lower too.

There's more to being able to afford a home than making the monthly payments.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I believe back in the day houses were smaller. When we were kids everything looked larger.
Depends on where you live and how far back in the day you go.

Was a time when families were bigger and houses reflected that.

These homes are still standing in some areas of the country still

Old 09-20-2018, 12:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This is of little concern to me (in fact, it's a positive since I am more often on the lending side), but I can't help but wonder how it hits the forgotten man and woman. Stable wages....at most up 1%, yet fuel up 10-20% and interest rates up 30-60%.

I can't imagine a lot of "free income" showing up in the bank accounts of the masses.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/19/week...ions-rise.html

As it stands, the housing market in many areas has barely recovered (if that!) from the Great Recession, now this means the average person can afford less...

It looks like the Citibank Plutonomy memo is more true than ever. There is "us" and then there are the rest (most people!).....
https://delong.typepad.com/plutonomy-1.pdf

I might actually start seeing a return on my savings account, instead of having to play the stock market.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Exactly and now more of their payment will go to the bank instead of towards their equity in the home. I'm sure somebody will be along to explain how that is actually a good thing though.
Because when people buy houses they cannot afford, eventually they default on their loans...... and then they have to be bailed out......

Sound familiar?

Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I carried a 16.5% mortgage on my first house.

The monthly P&I payment on that same property today is less than what I was paying 37 years ago, despite the market value increasing 4- fold.

Middle-aged mom: Our age is indeed showing. My adult children's eyes glaze over when I try to tell them the elated feeling my husband and I had on one relocation. It was the time we were doing cartwheels because we found a builder who was offering an 11 1/4 % rate, when the average in the country was 14%.
And one of those so called children is married to a RE broker. They don't believe or understand.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:47 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
My mortgage rate was 14% with a 10 year balloon payment on my first condo in the mid 1980s.

mortgage rates have been very, very low for several decades.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:28 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I might actually start seeing a return on my savings account, instead of having to play the stock market.
Lol, but of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies