U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 05:07 AM

896 posts, read 264,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Always.
Knew a cop who would go to the parking lot of flea bag motels on his beat and run some license plates. Always came up with at least one stolen vehicle. Always.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:13 AM

8,608 posts, read 2,904,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"there is no reason to treat people like potential criminals."

Nothing like OVER exaggerating!

They were stopped FOR A LEGITIMATE reason, usually a traffic violation like burned out light, expired tag, etc.

So, you think asking someone their name is "treat people like potential criminals."?

Our country is in MORE trouble then I thought!
Which is fair enough if they have a legitimate reason to stop you, such as a traffic violation.

However the issue different if an officer were to stop you on the basis of you look suspicious and want to information such as;
  • what you are doing
  • why you are in an area or where you are going
  • what you are carrying
This is known as Stop and Account and there must be a good reason beyond mere suspicion and based on actual intelligence or a geniune belief that you have carried out a cime or are going to carry out a crime.

This can not be based on criteria such as;
  • your age, race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion or faith
  • the way you look or dress, the language you speak
  • because you have committed a crime in the past.
A Stop and Search must also be based on probable cause and you must be informed as to why you are being stopped and search and any suspected crime or ciminal activity. The police also can not detain you without good reason. These rights are important as it makes the police accounable rather than some form of secret police who can request your information and identity or papers at random and at will.

However as seen with people taking photographs in public and other such legal activities, the police in many parts of the world now overstep the mark and try to use all kinds of legislation including Terrorism legislation which was never designed for such purposes.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:36 AM

13,328 posts, read 7,290,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I always wondered when sitting in traffic or at lights if cops run your plate just for something to do.
Yes, they do it all the time, and not because they are just bored. With the computers they have, they can pull up A LOT of information on you. Much more than you think. It is a way for them to go on a surreptitious "Fishing Expedition", very similar to being pulled over for a broken tail late, or the ubiquitous, "you crossed the center line back there, have you been drinking sir"? Much of law enforcement are now just uniformed, and ARMED, paid tax collectors. looking to get you into the lucrative "justice system".

Law enforcement is largely about revenue generation now. Government is big business for its occupants. Just look at the multi billion dollar "war on drugs".

Old 09-22-2018, 06:51 AM

5,097 posts, read 1,455,542 times
the police are in charge, do what they say and be respectful to these agents of the state. To do otherwise is foolish.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 AM

15,664 posts, read 18,211,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You mean like me walking when I got harassed?
If you did nothing wrong, then what were you being harassed about?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:35 AM

7,677 posts, read 3,840,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you did nothing wrong, then what were you being harassed about?
Cop stopped me to check ID and then because I had a weapon, my cane, I had to wait until backup came. I was just out walking in MY neighborhood for exercise. I imagine that a 70 year old man walking with a cane looked dangerous to him. I was very polite and gave them my ID. He was rude and hateful.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
There is a TV reality show called "Live P.D." on A&E. MANY people on hers should watch it and get EDUCATED instead of all the BS that pass off on here.
I have watched the show, Many of the cops on there are jerks.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
" plus you were going 55 in a 65 zone" "The 55 reference may have confused others but I knew what it meant."

Obviously you DON'T.
"55" is police code for DUI.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:45 AM

6,178 posts, read 1,500,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the police are in charge, do what they say and be respectful to these agents of the state. To do otherwise is foolish.
Not if they are enforcing unconstitutional laws!

Maybe you think all the people back in the days of the civil rights fight...should have just obeyed and complied, stop causing problems and stirring up trouble for the police? (see what Im saying?)

Society celebrates and honors people today for refusing to comply, disobeying, etc back then...in other words, they were fighting an unconstitutional system of laws, and they had every right to do so...the people today have that same right, and will probably be celebrated by future generations if they succeed.

People to stand up to Law enforcement on the drug war, they have NO constitutional right to create or enforce drug laws, its a shame so many people allow themselves to be duped over the 'protecting health and safety' excuse, drug laws have NEVER been about protecting anyones health or safety, then or now.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:58 AM

4,569 posts, read 1,141,729 times
Quote:
"there is no reason to treat people like potential criminals."

Nothing like OVER exaggerating!

They were stopped FOR A LEGITIMATE reason, usually a traffic violation like burned out light, expired tag, etc.

So, you think asking someone their name is "treat people like potential criminals."?

Our country is in MORE trouble then I thought!
Agreed. What a sad day when police arenít allowed to do their jobs anywmore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or