U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 05:26 PM

5,920 posts, read 6,363,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Have you noticed that police seem to always want an ID when ever you come into contact with them. Most states only allow them to do that if you are suspected of a crime. When you get pulled over for speeding I get that they can ask for ID. I'm seeing so many videos now online where people are constantly asked for ID. Personal example was wife went home for lunch saw a man standing on my neighbors lawn didn't know him she called me asked what to do. I thought it was someone putting fliers on doors, so we didn't do anything. Later that day his alarm goes off someone was trying to break into the home.

When I get home I go over there and tell the officer who is taking a report what my wife say he asks for her name and Date of birth. I asked him why do you need that if you want to talk to her I can call her outside I can give you her phone number. He didn't want that at all I gave it to him even though I shouldn't have. What I suspect he wanted to run her name see if she had warrants had nothing to do with her being a witness. People in this country who are law abiding should not have be subjected to constant background checks what happend to the presumption of innocence.
Obviously the officer needed the info for the report, she may be needed as a witness. A name and another identifier such as the DOB so in case detectives have to follow up iif needed. I mean he didn’t ask for your info, did he?

Old 09-22-2018, 06:42 PM

30,911 posts, read 24,262,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
How is anyone being harmed by providing their ID to police? I don't mean some weird abstract tin-foil hat theory, I mean real, actual harm? The answer: There is none. Just provide the requested info and continue with your day. So much drama about absolutely nothing.

really? suppose the cop runs your ID, and someone with a similar name pops up, the difference is that he has warrants but you dont. if the cop is being lazy, you end up in cuffs and taken to jail based on someone elses warrants. and yes it has happened many times before. so now tell me there is no harm.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:30 PM

11,075 posts, read 11,487,748 times
Quote:
Wow. Do you honestly believe that the police, and government in general, are out to get you? It must be exhausting finding monsters around every corner. Here's the reality:

1) You're insignificant. So am I. Only someone with delusions of grandeur or advanced paranoia believes the government is "out to get" every single person in the country.
2) Even if the government were out to get everyone, they lack the resources and competence to do so.
Silly man. They aren't out to get everyone, only the ones who step out of line. They count on the fact that the vast majority of sheep will think it's no big deal and ignore the surveillance.

Should you shed your myopia and wish to become better educated on the subject, I can recommend the Great Courses class on The Surveillance State.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/cour...m-and-you.html

Old 09-22-2018, 07:34 PM

1,026 posts, read 557,622 times
Quote:
How is anyone being harmed by providing their ID to police? I don't mean some weird abstract tin-foil hat theory, I mean real, actual harm? The answer: There is none. Just provide the requested info and continue with your day. So much drama about absolutely nothing.
Because then, instead of having to have a reason, some cops will take it as a given that their power is unchallengeable and their abuses may become worse.

There used to be laws that police could stop you if driving for a "credentials" check....i.e; they did not have to have a reason to stop you when driving or have some infraction...they could stop you and check everything out on a whim, boredom, etc. Now, imagine you're trying to get home after a long day at work and you drive thru many different towns and a cop in each town decided to stop you only for a "credentials check". Not only would that greatly delay your time in getting home or to a destination (what if is was on your way to work, dropping kids off at school, etc??) but might create a situation where you had to now speed up to make up for lost time, get in trouble at work for being late, miss a flight, etc., etc. Same with walking down a street and being stopped to "ID yourself" or other ways where your freedom of movement was controlled and delayed without reason.

Stop saying just go along to get along....authority needs to be kept in check and challenged or it becomes unrestrained and power hungry/corrupt.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:39 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,472,599 times
When I tried to report some bad behavior regarding Canadian us border they wanted to do background on me
Very disturbing
Retaliation is not unknown in government employment

Old 09-22-2018, 08:08 PM

18,315 posts, read 11,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Have you noticed that police seem to always want an ID when ever you come into contact with them. Most states only allow them to do that if you are suspected of a crime. When you get pulled over for speeding I get that they can ask for ID. I'm seeing so many videos now online where people are constantly asked for ID. Personal example was wife went home for lunch saw a man standing on my neighbors lawn didn't know him she called me asked what to do. I thought it was someone putting fliers on doors, so we didn't do anything. Later that day his alarm goes off someone was trying to break into the home.

When I get home I go over there and tell the officer who is taking a report what my wife say he asks for her name and Date of birth. I asked him why do you need that if you want to talk to her I can call her outside I can give you her phone number. He didn't want that at all I gave it to him even though I shouldn't have. What I suspect he wanted to run her name see if she had warrants had nothing to do with her being a witness. People in this country who are law abiding should not have be subjected to constant background checks what happend to the presumption of innocence.

Local LE around here (NYPD) routinely ask for SSN from anyone they come into contact with, and it is not legal. Those reporting crimes, witnesses, by standers, etc... anyone they "speak" to or whatever.

Part of reason they and other LE get away with these things is they are just that; someone in a uniform with (presumed) authority up to and including ability to take away one's freedom (arrest).

Someone with a badge and or uniform starts asking people questions, and they usually at once begin babbling. Totally forgetting that even *IF* arrested the USC says people have the right to remain silent.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:11 PM

120 posts, read 14,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Because then, instead of having to have a reason, some cops will take it as a given that their power is unchallengeable and their abuses may become worse.

There used to be laws that police could stop you if driving for a "credentials" check....i.e; they did not have to have a reason to stop you when driving or have some infraction...they could stop you and check everything out on a whim, boredom
That would have been a LONG time ago. After the 4th AM was made applicable to the states, that pretty much curtailed any such random seizures, but cases still came forward, but are pretty much defined by now when an officer can stop you while in a motor vehicle.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:53 PM

9,999 posts, read 4,233,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
really? suppose the cop runs your ID, and someone with a similar name pops up, the difference is that he has warrants but you dont. if the cop is being lazy, you end up in cuffs and taken to jail based on someone elses warrants. and yes it has happened many times before. so now tell me there is no harm.
My best friend found out her social security number was being used by somebody else for insurance purposes, notified by the IRS. Now she has to forever worry that the identity thief will commit a crime under her SSN.

She immediately took all the action she could, but unfortunately other than that, all she can do is pray.

Living in a law abiding way isn't always enough to avoid issues.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:05 PM

7,756 posts, read 3,858,279 times
Quote:
So the fact that I was stopped for no reason while walking and had to wait while back up showed should not make me mad? I was doing nothing wrong. They were not looking for anyone and I was in my own neighborhood. It was just a smartazz cop on a power trip who inconvenienced me for NO reason.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:42 PM

8,903 posts, read 4,844,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTU2 View Post
The reference was allegedly weaving and going under the speed limit he was looking at the "Totality of the circumstances" for a "reasonable suspicion" I may be DUI, as driving slow is an indicator of being sloshed.

I know and one of these days if stopped, I am sure my answer will probably raise an eyebrow.

"Well, we are on the boundary of a wilderness district, officer.". That's like saying, "Well, these are dangerous waters, Lieutenant.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or