U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:30 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,552,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I always wondered when sitting in traffic or at lights if cops run your plate just for something to do.
Yes, now that they have computers inside they most certainly do. Hell, they have cameras mounted on the squad cars now that run plates constantly as they drive around and give an alert sound if it's on the wanted list for some reason.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:32 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,552,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Time for the ACLU.
Yeah, sure. Unless you're going to gain them front page coverage or lots of donor $$$$ they don't give a damn anymore...

Old 09-23-2018, 11:31 AM

30,953 posts, read 24,353,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The problem is that those YouTube video miss one important point: The police officer may have probable cause that the person being stopped my not be aware of. Therefore, when you refuse to provide ID because you think there's no probable cause, you're breaking the law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Under the Law the police must make you aware of why you are being stopped and indeed searched and must make you aware of what section of the law they are stopping you under. Failure to follow correct procedure can lead the police open to legal action against them.

An illegal stop and search in the UK is the subject of the first youtube video below, the second relates to a photographer who refused to give his details. the law in the US in relation to probable cause is the same. It should be noted that the police had to pay out compensation in relation to the illegal stop and search in the first video as well as in relation to the second video. Furthermore the videos demonstrate that recording any interaction with the police can provide vauable evidence.

BNW is right. if a cop stops you they MUST tell you why they stopped you BEFORE asking for your information, and it must be a primary reason to stop a vehicle in the first place. for instance in arizona a cop cannot stop you for a seat belt violation, that is a secondary reason for writing a ticket, not a primary one.

educate yourselves people, and stand up for your rights.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:41 AM

33,496 posts, read 14,636,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Police have to have a reason to stop someone as I have explained it's called probable cause in the US, without a good reason they can not just demand your details.

There are lots of youtube videos explaining your rights.

For instance You have the rights to be told why you are being stopped and under what part of the law you are being stopped under. You have the right to be told what an officer expects to find if they intend to search you or your vehicle and again under what section of the law they are carrying out the search and you have the right to the officers details and what station they are based at. Stop and Search has to be based on geniune intelligence that the person has committed or is about to commit a crime or has something illegal in their possession. It can never be based on anything but a geniune reason and must never be related to discrinatory factors.

That is the law in virtually every country.
"The Police have to have a reason to stop someone......"

And?

Are you suggesting that American police do NOT follow that?

I could give a rats ars what the police in other countries do.

It has ZERO, ZILCH, NOTHING to do with what our police do.

"That is the law in virtually every country" You are disillusion if you believe that. Russia, China, North Kprea, Cuba, Venezuela, just to name a few I'd bet do NOT follow that practice.

I have suggested to others to watch the TV show Live P,D on A7E, and the other PD shows and you will see REAL police in action and what they do and what they have to put up with.

You MIGHT even LEARN a few laws.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:28 AM

8,761 posts, read 2,968,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

And?

I stated that American Police also must have a reasonable cause, indeed an lot of US Law has it's origins in English Law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough

Exacept is does, as US Citizens also have similar rights to citizens in most other western countries.

Know Your Rights: Police Interactions | ACLU of Northern CA

Dealing with Law Enforcement | ACLU of Southern California

Quote:

"That is the law in virtually every country" You are disillusion if you believe that. Russia, China, North Kprea, Cuba, Venezuela, just to name a few I'd bet do NOT follow that practice.
Possibly not but they are by and large not very democratic nations and people have far fewer rights in such countries.

People in the US should be thankful that they live in a country which such rights and should not be afraid to use their rights or to take legal action if their rights are abused.

The Police should always be accountable and should always act within the law.

Quote:

I have suggested to others to watch the TV show Live P,D on A7E, and the other PD shows and you will see REAL police in action and what they do and what they have to put up with.

I have seen lots of stupid police reality shows over the years, and the police tend to act very differently when they have a camera crew with them.

The Police should treat everyone who is stopped with respect and they should provide a good reason for stopping someone or searching them. Just stopping someone without any due cause and then trying to find a reason to arrest them is not legal, neither is stopping people for no reason and asking them to justify their movements or to harass them.

Thankfully a lot of people do know their rights, and it is these very rights that make America a free country and which Americans have fought for in the past.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-24-2018 at 06:53 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 11:34 AM

30,953 posts, read 24,353,878 times
Quote:

And?

yes. there are LEOs in america that do in fact stop people without probable cause of them committing a crime. most people are sheep so they obey the nice officer without question. but when these officers are pushed, like they should be, they start making things up to try and support a case for probable cause. many of them will claim they are "investigating" or that there is "suspicious activity". and when you tell them that they are not crimes or that they are still not telling what the crime is, they claim obstruction, or resisting, both of which are secondary crimes, and not what the cops can lay their claim on legally.

eventually one of two things happens, the cops either get frustrated, or ordered, to walk away, or they illegally arrest the person standing up for their rights, and then later on get punished or even fired, depending on the circumstances of the arrest, and ultimately sued as well for violating the civil rights of the person they arrested.

Quote:

oh sure, watch a few cop friendly TV shows, ones that have been carefully cultivated to show LEOs in the best light possible.

once again i will recognize that 95% of the cops out there do their jobs properly. the problem is that the 5% gives teh reset a bad name.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 AM

49,077 posts, read 39,540,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if the wife is not part of the crime, either as a witness, victim, or perpetrator, then the office has no reason to identify her.
She was a witness.

I asked back on page one if they only asked for the wifes ID and haven't seen a response yet (maybe it's later in the thread).

It would kinda blow up the OP's premise if they only asked for her ID (as a witness) and not his.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM
Status: "Basking in my white and height privilege" (set 5 days ago)

17,598 posts, read 8,641,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
She was a witness.

I asked back on page one if they only asked for the wifes ID and haven't seen a response yet (maybe it's later in the thread).

It would kinda blow up the OP's premise if they only asked for her ID (as a witness) and not his.
I think the poster said the cop asked for his wife's name and date of birth and that was it.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:24 PM

7,874 posts, read 3,898,176 times
Quote:

And?

I have watched those shows. Even on TV some are jerks. They all seem to automatically assume everyone is a criminal.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 PM

2,127 posts, read 475,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
BNW is right. if a cop stops you they MUST tell you why they stopped you BEFORE asking for your information, and it must be a primary reason to stop a vehicle in the first place. for instance in arizona a cop cannot stop you for a seat belt violation, that is a secondary reason for writing a ticket, not a primary one.

educate yourselves people, and stand up for your rights.
What law are you basing this on? As far as I'm aware of, there is no order the officer has to follow. As long as he tells you at some point, whether it be at the beginning, middle, or end of the contact, why he's stopping you, he fulfilled his legal obligation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or